Loadorder import/export

tomsite

Hi Tanin,

am i just blind or is there no option to import or export a loadorder for the Bethesda games?

I mean ok, one can use dependencies, but an import/export would be nice and a comfort-function.

Otherwise, i like the UI, well done. The functionality looks ok so far, but i first need to try things out. It looks like everything is there that one might need, apart from the mentioned import export.

Also, as an idea. Would it be possible to create a generic "Setting" or plugin for Vortex, that just moves mod files from a to b?

I want to move our mods for the farming simulator to Nexus and the FS just requires to place the mods as downloaded into a specific target directory. Usually no unpacking or anything else is required, just download and move into the mods folder. For profile management you can simply change the location of that mods folder in an INI File and the game will read the mods from that location. All in all very simple system. Hardlinking also works.

That would enable FS17 mods to also have a "Download with Manager" button.

FS17 has the problem that you should always have just one map in your mods folder and basically remove any other mod you don't use/need for that particular map (there are for example placeable mods, e.g. buildings with certain functions that register new fruit types or filltypes).

The developers decided it would be a fantastic idea to still read information from any in the GUI disabled mod, and despite you are not using that mod it still registers these fruits and filltypes. That causes for every mapper and modder headaches without end. Thus the recommendation to remove everything you don't need. So profile management is kinda important. Currently i have several mods-folders, each containing one map and lots of vehicles etc. Just, these vehicles are duplicated in the other folders as well (so several Gigs of wasted space). If i want to change a map i rename the orginal mods folder to something like map1_mods and then rename map2_mods to mods. it is a bit of a pain in the backside. So you can imagine how much i would love to have Vortex as a mod manager for Farming Simulator as well.

I do believe that this would also be a dead certain incentive for FS-Gamers to move to Nexus away from the usual sites (which are going to sh** anyway, because of so many flaws in the websites themselves already. The main site has a disfunctional comment system, no bug tracking, it takes forever to release files as it is a manual process, version tracking is a pain in the neck, the site owner gives a damn about mod-theft and many more flaws). As an overview that it would be worth the effort, for the two maps we released so far we have 200k downloads. About the same as some Top-Mods from Skyrim. So it could be worth it.

Tom

Vortex really needs to have a manual sort plugins feature for BGS games like in NMM since we also rely on some guides when it comes to a good modlist and a proper load order.

And LOOT is good, but it doesn't always gets it right. I always manually sort plugins etc. But one could use the dependencies for sorting. I just don't know yet how it behaves if you update a mod. I usually delete/disable the mod, then i install the new version. before the update i make an export of the loadorder and reimport it after the update so the mods stay where they belong and don't shift.

The thing is that an import export for the load order would be pointless because Vortex assumes the order is generated by loot and that re-running loot at any time is safe, as it would produce the same order.

Regarding the farm simulator: I'm afraid not at this time. Vortex will assume any file downloaded is an archive. You can write your own "installer" that can decide (automatically or with user interaction) how the content of the archive transforms into an installed mod, though and you can write "mergers" that will decide (on a file-by-file basis if necessary) how files get deployed to the game directory, e.g. some games require xml files to be merged instead of mods replacing each other.

I would be happy to look into FS17 support in the future, but for the time being we need to get the current functionality stable.

The thing is that an import export for the load order would be pointless because Vortex assumes the order is generated by loot and that re-running loot at any time is safe, as it would produce the same order. Regarding the farm simulator: I'm afraid not at this time. Vortex will assume any file downloaded is an archive. You can write your own "installer" that can decide (automatically or with user interaction) how the content of the archive transforms into an installed mod, though and you can write "mergers" that will decide (on a file-by-file basis if necessary) how files get deployed to the game directory, e.g. some games require xml files to be merged instead of mods replacing each other. I would be happy to look into FS17 support in the future, but for the time being we need to get the current functionality stable.

Thanks for the reply :).

No, i didn't mean that you should do it right now, it was an idea for the future. I am happy to wait and will move the mods to Nexus regardless.

If you do decide in time that you can spare some time just drop me a line, i can give you all the background information you need and i would let you even hop on my PC so you can have a look how it all functions. it's dead simple as i wrote, how you however would manage it in Vortex... well i wouldn't even know where to start ;). Keep up the great work.

Tom

And LOOT is good, but it doesn't always gets it right. I always manually sort plugins etc. But one could use the dependencies for sorting. I just don't know yet how it behaves if you update a mod. I usually delete/disable the mod, then i install the new version. before the update i make an export of the loadorder and reimport it after the update so the mods stay where they belong and don't shift.

You don't have to export/import if you use dependencies/priorities.

Those are saved separately from everything else in a loot userlist so if you disable and later enable a mod or update (as long as the file name remains the same) you can just let vortex sort the list and it will adhere to your rules.

Ohhh and i forgot. Yeah you are maybe right regarding Loot and my process so far for updating might be a bit wonky

As said i usually export the loadorder in NMM for SSE, then i delete the old version of a mod, install the new version which screws up the loadorder and afterwards i reimport the loadorder to get everything in line again.

I also use Loot only as a basis and reorder the mods manually to my liking. Sometimes you simply have mods that have overlapping items and you want to use something from mod a and not mod b, however you still want to use the additional items from mod b that are not included in mod a, so manual reordering is quite common. And sometimes you can`t create merged patches for several mods as it would break other mods in return. The above has anyway a flaw as a bashed patch needs reworking then, to get the final result correct.

But if i think about it, i could also work with the dependencies now and nail the load order this way. Just change the process to first update before deleting the old version so no information gets lost. That should work.

You don't have to export/import if you use dependencies/priorities.

Those are saved separately from everything else in a loot userlist so if you disable and later enable a mod or update (as long as the file name remains the same) you can just let vortex sort the list and it will adhere to your rules.

Ahhh brilliant :). That is what i just thought too. I just wasn't sure if the information is retained after you uninstall a mod. Then the dependencies are even better. Cheers for that.