Did "Profile Sharing" make it in...?

Bizzquik

Since this Nexus post from October 13th 2016, Profile Sharing has been long-held dream of mine.

Frankly, I've lost interest in spending two days installing mods for Skyrim and all their miscellaneous patches. But I still love the game. So the idea that I can just download someone else's profile and have Nexus download all the profile's mods and patches for me with the load order in tact sounded amazing.

With the full Alpha of Vortex going public almost 16 months to the day of that post, I am wondering if the Nexus team was able to make it happen.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Thanks for the replies.

Dark0ne actually did address profile sharing recently - just not on the Nexus.

Turns out its not coming.

I'm crushed, honestly. I don't get why I even need Vortex over Mod Organizer if the feature that couldn't be implemented by anyone other than Nexus itself isn't going to be incorporated. ...What a waste of 16 months of hope & waiting.

doesn't surprise me really. something like that would really take credit away from mod authors. and as annoying as it must be to spend a few hours hitting "download" on the nexus, i'd say making the mods takes way more work and effort. mod authors deserve individual recognition for what they make and release and they wouldn't get that if everyone's just downloading profiles with hundreds of mods bundled up together.

doesn't surprise me really. something like that would really take credit away from mod authors. and as annoying as it must be to spend a few hours hitting "download" on the nexus, i'd say making the mods takes way more work and effort. mod authors deserve individual recognition for what they make and release and they wouldn't get that if everyone's just downloading profiles with hundreds of mods bundled up together.

Simple: "Endorsing" the profile endorses all mods in the profile.

The best mods, or the most strikingly different mods, or even just the newest mods....all kids of mods, really.... People would go out of their way to make compelling Profiles to share. And so those mods that were used to get the profile the endorsement would naturally get their own recognition via their own endorsement count - raising their profile on the Nexus along the way.

In fact, I think people would be much more interested in experimenting with new mods - or just fewer-endorsed mods - if they were only committing to one click...rather than several hours of their time making sure it worked in the first place (checking compatibility, creating patches, sorting their load order, etc).

For what it's worth, a bit after that post, he made the Year in Review post and said this about Profile Sharing, or "Mod Packs"

"I've tentatively spoken with Tannin briefly on the subject and, while we've got a to-do list that's years in the making, mod packs are something we'll likely explore again in the not too distant future. Naturally, we'll consult with mod authors extensively about our plans and what feedback they have during the design and implementation stage."

For what it's worth, a bit after that post, he made the Year in Review post and said this about Profile Sharing, or "Mod Packs"

"I've tentatively spoken with Tannin briefly on the subject and, while we've got a to-do list that's years in the making, mod packs are something we'll likely explore again in the not too distant future. Naturally, we'll consult with mod authors extensively about our plans and what feedback they have during the design and implementation stage."

Thanks for posting that.

I like his idea of an opt-out. I think that would save a lot of frustration if an opt-out was instituted, and mods in which the author had opted out would literally be unable to be added to a Profile Sharing list in coding.

Allowing the Profile to include older versions of the mod (i.e. not automatically updating all mods to their latest versions) should be part of the arrangement. And then assign responsibility: People who share Profiles should be made to take ownership of their Profile's performance - making the person that shares the profile the first contact for troubleshooting (rather than individual mods). The shared "Profile" could become something of a mod itself, in that sense: the sharer answers questions, is encouraged to update their list when individual mods update, etc. As long as all of the mods used in the Profile received an endorsement when a user endorses the Profile, I can see a lot of upside for everyone.

And I spent months coding it, let's hug :laugh:

Anyway if you read Dark0ne's post on reddit then it'll be clear why it didn't make it.

Now, what you can do is, go here on youtube and listen to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJGt67Mwmo

And then watch at this screenshot I just took: https://imgur.com/P40JJ01

I can appreciate Dark0ne wanting to make sure he has the approval of at least most of the site's mod authors before issuing a new feature to the community at-large. I guess I don't understand why he didn't have the conversation with authors first before having all the work done, but I suppose that's not pertinent to the here-and-now.

Hopefully he publicly engages with mod authors about Profile Sharing soon. There has to be a way to make this work - a way to make most mod authors happy that more people are using their mods and giving them endorsements, and a way for end-users like me to benefit from a new feature.

Dark0ne mentioned in his January 11th 2018 post that traffic for the website is down. I'm sure there are thousands of Nexus users like myself who still love Elder Scrolls and Fallout, but who just aren't willing to spend many hours getting our load order right; not after we've already done that song & dance so many times over the years. But getting Profile Sharing implemented would fix that. Not only would we rekindle our love of games like Skyrim - but remember why we love visiting the Nexus, too.

If carried forward with the approval of mod authors, and implemented well, Profile Sharing could be the healthiest thing this website has done for itself in a long while.