CK Terrain Editing help needed, add a pond or creek?

Perraine

Just a quick question ...Can someone point me to a tutorial or video on Advanced terrain editing in the CK? I've watched a few, but the ones I've seen only show creating "new" cells, or just adding bits and pieces. (I know how to drag and drop an outfit into a world space fer instance)

I ask because I really like the layout and design of the mod that changes Sunshine Tidings Co-Op to a "Western Town". He added a creek/moat/river to the area which I really like (plus STCO is one of a few settlements that don't have a native water source) I just didn't like all the rest of the stuff he added, I'd just sort of like vanilla STCO, but with the creek/moat/river. (and maybe a waterfall? to much?)

I did try it in game with a water tile mod, but as you'd imagine, this lead to all sorts of pathing problems for the NPC's. And of course it wasn't actually 'use-able' water.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to send cookies to any who reply (helpfully) :)

You can place water planes to make water pools that are not "worldspace" water. Search for "water" records with the MSTT type in the CK. They will provide functional water pools. I'm not sure about waterfalls but I haven't seen any so far.

For the terrain editing part, I'd suggest trying the Terrain Editor tool in the CK on a new cell (that you can throw away afterwards) to get familiar with it. It's not terribly hard to use, left click changes the terrain and right click paints textures.

Things to consider when making terrain:

• Press "B" to display cell borders and quadrants.
  • You can have only 3 different ground textures per quadrant max.
  • To paint a small creek or moat, the "drawing mode" set to "lower by" will enable you to do just that.

Thanks payl0ad :) I'll have a go. I watched a few videos on how to actually modify the terrain, and that "seems" simple enough, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to add a damn pond that you can plop a water collection device into.

I've hand-painted a worldspace from complete scratch (using photographs of a place as template) not too long ago - it's hard at first but becomes more bearable once you get the hang of it. Just try it out in a safe space and see what everything does really.