Giving up on Vortex for now

Deleted3897072User

Welp, the question will never be answered I guess. A point by point reply would be pointless.

Here is some text, since I will never be understood I guess:

I am a regular early adopter of software, not liking new ways of doing things is not the issue.

(I hesitated to use that terminology because I knew conclusions would be jumped to, but whatever.)

LOOT is not a new way of doing things, that is not the issue. Were a new, innovative method presented I would be much more interested.

My arguments have NOTHING TO DO with whether LOOT is a good solution for Vortex or anything else. If it is better for the masses, GOOD.

I know previous post may make it seem that way, I apologize. It was a mistake to argue from that angle and I assumed too much. I was, as you say, emotional. In shock really.

My argument boils down to this, whether you accept it as valid or not:

I want to directly control my load order for Bethesda games without jumping through hoops. It was easier in other mod managers. Now there are many steps.

Direct control is better for me because I like the decisions I make more than the decisions LOOT makes. I like understanding things and making them work.

I want to read and understand my load order so I can make changes that suit me. The real load order, not a human readable presentation.

All of the above makes modding easier for me. Everything is ordered in a way I understand across all applications.

No point in continuing to repeat myself, I'm sure everyone is tired of that, I'm leaving now, no need to reply. Please don't in fact, this has been a terrible experience and I don't want to participate any more, thanks.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already knew I did not want to use LOOT, I am familiar with the tool and purposefully made little to no use of it

translated: "I don't like it because I don't like it."

because what is considered by them an easy way to do things

translated: "I want it because I want it."

If so many people are complaining, is there maybe an issue?

translated: "Being loud makes your opinion matter more."

it is not selfish or "community breaking" to have an individual opinion

translated: "Disagreeing with me is an attempt to suppress my opinion"

... where we can manually sort our load order as in all previous Bethesda mod managers

translated: "The old way is advanced and superior because it's the old way"

Can't you see you're not arguing your point, you're just repeating it?

Sorry if you expected more but there is nothing in your post I haven't answered before.

Again: If you want to help your argument then actually argue, but that also means you have to at least try to see our side of the argument, you can't just ignore everything I said before and act like I was ignoring you. Two pages ago I asked

something that should be very simple for anyone avoiding loot and still got no answer: "Please give me one plugin (set of plugins) that would require more than one user rule to order correctly".

Because if you can't do that, if loot sorts everything well enough that you can't find a case like this, what is your point? How will this new system inconvenience you?

Or is ordering the plugin list an end in itself, like a minigame that you enjoy playing?

Oh, yeah, that helps a LOT. I would suggest that you take some of your own advice. Try and see our side of the argument. I don't hold out a lot of hope for that, given your attitude in your responses. So, I think I will also bow out of this 'discussion'..... as there really is no point.

This is a known issue in the tool we use for building the installer: https://github.com/electron-userland/electron-builder/issues/2517

Essentially the installer tries to autodetect your system language and if it's none of the supported ones it will fall back to german instead of english.

Please report this as feedback but all I can do for the moment is watch their issue and update asap.

The language in Vortex is completely independent of the installer though. It too will autodetect your system language but I believe it correctly uses english as a fallback.

Should Vortex itself also uses the wrong language, please report that separately.

If its known issue then im sure it will be fixed. Good luck with development.

Edited by MysteriousGuy

If you use a VPN or something that could made your location more "mysterious" ( :tongue:), maybe the installer was selected in german.

Anyway -when- you could access it: you can switch language inside the language in settings (but could be a problem find the right option if wrote in german :tongue:)

Program itself seems to be in english but i can't really tell since im hitting a wall at this point:

https://i.gyazo.com/aab13d2ace2fdbdff5791a1cc0d0acdb.mp4

Did you get and login into Vortex the day it was First release? E.g. part of the first 1000? If not you can't use Alpha. If you were then just login, should open a browser to the nexus where you scroll down click the button tell the site the authorize vortex.

I already knew I did not want to use LOOT, I am familiar with the tool and purposefully made little to no use of it

Good lord.

This is definitely my last post, the people who don't care for the LOOT aspect of Vortex, and are asking for an alternative that can be used while still leaving LOOT in the program for people who DO like it, have been telling you OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again that they have used loot and found it CUMBERSOME, that's light years difference from your "Translation" of "I don't like it because I don't like it"

Great way to dismiss everything everybody has been saying.

The people who don't care for the LOOT aspect and are asking for other ways to sort load order WHILE KEEPING LOOT for the people who like it, HAVE USED LOOT long enough to know they don't like it, because to them it's a non-intuitive, cumbersome way to sort a load order.

You're obviously taking this personally, and just completely dismissing the people who want an alternative to the loot system, while leaving the loot system intact for the people who DO like it.

But the people who DON'T like the Loot system, aren't just basing their opinions on that "they just don't like it", they are basing their opinions on having used it extensively and finding it lacking and cumbersome.

Good luck on whatever you come up with, and thanks for letting us know that you care little for what people have to suggest for Vortex, and that the users are going to have little say in what features they like and don't like.

I've been playing and modding since 2003, and I'll just continue to use what works for me, and just write off Vortex as loss for my library of tools.

I noticed that Tannin has implemented plugin pinning in 0.12.8 so I re-installed Vortex to try it out. It's great - it works very smoothly and it's exactly what I need. Thank you.

Now, a feasible way for me to operate my tests would be to use NMM to install mods (so I still get file-level overriding) and Vortex to order the plugins.

We're getting there :)

Good lord.

This is definitely my last post, the people who don't care for the LOOT aspect of Vortex, and are asking for an alternative that can be used while still leaving LOOT in the program for people who DO like it, have been telling you OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again that they have used loot and found it CUMBERSOME, that's light years difference from your "Translation" of "I don't like it because I don't like it"

Great way to dismiss everything everybody has been saying.

The people who don't care for the LOOT aspect and are asking for other ways to sort load order WHILE KEEPING LOOT for the people who like it, HAVE USED LOOT long enough to know they don't like it, because to them it's a non-intuitive, cumbersome way to sort a load order.

You're obviously taking this personally, and just completely dismissing the people who want an alternative to the loot system, while leaving the loot system intact for the people who DO like it.

But the people who DON'T like the Loot system, aren't just basing their opinions on that "they just don't like it", they are basing their opinions on having used it extensively and finding it lacking and cumbersome.

Good luck on whatever you come up with, and thanks for letting us know that you care little for what people have to suggest for Vortex, and that the users are going to have little say in what features they like and don't like.

I've been playing and modding since 2003, and I'll just continue to use what works for me, and just write off Vortex as loss for my library of tools.

Reread your own post, and tell me if you explained why you don't care for LOOT, why you think it's cumbersome, why you think it's non-intuitive, and why you think it's lacking.

You may begin to notice all you keep doing is making statements and claims, but never actually explaining them. And that is what is constantly being asked for. Explain and give examples of how these claims you make are true.

Explain and give examples of how these claims you make are true.

Brabbit - you seem to have placed yourself in the role of Grand Inquisitor. From whence do you derive your authority?

No-one here is accountable to you, and you are not entitled to command anyone posting here to justify their beliefs about anything. You may ask for reasons but not demand them.

A little more humility would be preferable.

Brabbit - you seem to have placed yourself in the role of Grand Inquisitor. From whence do you derive your authority?

No-one here is accountable to you, and you are not entitled to command anyone posting here to justify their beliefs about anything. You may ask for reasons but not demand them.

Logical contraddiction and... Oh s#*!! Me too...

I don't really think you understand what a literal demand is. It's not like I am sitting on a throne and telling someone dance in some sort of forceful manner with an authority or some sort of consequence if the person does not. If you really want you can just read it as if I am asking a question if it helps you understand better because that is how I meant it. I am just raising a point and observation I see and then suggesting a plan of action. Also, humility has nothing to do with this. I am simply pointing out what I see.

I don't see anything wrong with what I have said or in the way that I said it. I get I am autistic and sometimes can say things in a manner that apparently irritates people, but this here to me is a little ridiculous for you to assume I meant it as an actual demand. I mean come on. We wouldn't even be at this point if they would just explain why. Sorry if the way I say things come off harsh or some crap like that. It's not meant to be.

Edit: Oh and your comment is literally doing the same thing btw. So it's pretty dumb you get on my case only to do the same exact thing. You demand I ask for reasons and not demand them lol. I understand it's meant to be more of a question and not an actual demand. I expect you to understand the same for me in return, please.

Edit x2: Wait .... can I be the Grand Inquisitor? o.o I didn't even know that was a thing. I would gladly accept that role if you are ok with that. <--- is a joke. Just being silly. Please don't hurt the Grand Inquisitor.

Edited by Brabbit1987