Managing the Load Order...

acdover

Downloaded and read some of this thread before installing, thankfully.

No tried and true drag and drop quick and simple what you see is what you get manual load ordering? Wow.

Gotta love this place.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A troll. How droll.

I really loved your postings about how great LOOT is and how everyone should be using it. But from where I sit, it looks like you should be devoting all of your considerable posting time to updating that questionable LOOT masterlist.

Many thanks to those who helped me earlier. I looked at my load order and found that patches were all initially classified as "default" plugins. I went through the load order and changed each of these files to the "dynamic patches" group and hit sort and - surprise, surprise - they all went to the end of the load order right after the "alternate start" mods. (Suddenly the virtues of Vortex become apparent!)

What of NPC-related mods? Is there any special group for them? Anything special I need to do to avoid the dreaded "dark face" bug?

Also, any special way to delete unneeded ESPs? For Relationship Dialog Overhaul, the patch installer created one for USSEP and another for USSEP plus CRF. I deleted the USSEP only file in the SSE folder, but it still shows in Vortex.

The guide (what guide by the way) is written for a world without automatic sorting.

Just forget about it and use the automatic sorting. It's almost certainly correct. Especially if you're using common and well used mods. Only when using peculiar mods or special patches, maybe even created by yourself, you have to take care of their ordering yourself.

The LOOT masterlist covers most common mod ordering issues already. There's little reason to force a specific load order. Also remember that these guids are written to be read and implemented in simple scenarios which almost never happen in real life. If it sais

A

B

C

then this doesn't mean that there must not be another mod inbetween. So if Vortex creates a load order like

M

A

J

O

B

P

G

C

It's still fine, because A is before B wich is before C.

...and then you have Horizon and it's dozen patches for mods.

Took me an hour trying to get it decently sorted but never ended having the changed special skills show up ingame, throwing this entire insanity of "plugin priority" out the window, downgrade to LOOT 0.12.5 with it's global priority and change the horizon esp to 10, everything was sorted and working right in 10 seconds with the mod working as expected and extra mods that use the same items/ingridients with an extra sort after Horizon and it's patches.

Why 10?

Mods I give priority ten fold, easy to sneak in new mods or move a 2* into the 0 or 100 range so you don't spend time fixing 1 to 20, which is stupid.

So reading everything so far, changing to this stupid global sorting method I am not going to touch this software.

Spending a day to set 100 different rules for each mod to load after "x", befor "a" between "c" I'd be lost after the 3rd about what the hell I was trying to do...

NMN also has a nice way to work with the plugin order aswel, even with multiple and spam the up or down button while it accounts for not skipping over dependencies, manually dragging every single mod when redoing manual ordering and it's dependencies? lol?

NMN you open the program and it shows you all your mods, no fancy portal/home screen, no sorting, no updating, lacking alot of features and that's why it gives you total and complete control over every single aspect of our mod install.

Thanks but no thanks.

NMN does it perfectly even with it's flaws, stop improving with worse stuff instead of fixing a program that works great as it is but needs an upgrade.

Feel sorry for you about wasting a year on this and instead go with a smarter sorting option, going the stupid LOOT route...

Good luck.

If you even had tried to understand the plugin 'groups' then you wouldn't have downgraded LOOT. There's *nothing* you cannot do *easily" with groups that could be done with global priorities.

Heck, if you create 100 groups named 1, 2, 3 and so on until 100, you have exactly the same. Of course creating a single group for Horizon and its patches and placing this group at the correct spot would have sufficed as weil.

Enough said.

• 2 months later...

what do you think will happen when a "how-do-you-do-I-just-bought-my-PC-last-week-and-I-want-to-try-this-new-modding-thing" user stumbles along?

My guess is the newcomer would have an advantage over us old-timers, since the newcomer has never used drag-and-drop to re-order the load-order.

As a softcore modder, I really hate the lack of mod order arrangement. Drag and drop is much more easier to learn and useful than going into each mod and setting up a chain of load orders. All I want to do is make New California load after the New Vegas esm, but now I have to craft this weird link of load orders and error messages that I have no idea how to fix.

Assign a group to it. One step, very easy to do. If you want it to load right after New Vegas.esm but before any other mod, assign the group "DLC" to the plugin (if that exists for FO 3, I haven't got it installed at the moment).

The problem with Drag'n'Drop is that it wouldn't stick if you ever change your list of plugins again. It's just not a suitable way to handle the mod order.