Managing the Load Order...

acdover

Vortex needs to let me manually tweak my load order in addition to its current function, I am wasting tones of time trying to get it to accept rules when I know I could manually group 3 esps next to each other and solve the problem, but no, Vortex knows better and no matter how I try and phrase the rules will ignore them.... I appreciate its user friendly approach but mod users are generally competent users at the least and a manual option is necessary, it would save time a lot of frustration as I mess around trying to convince it to do what I need

Seriously you need to change your way of thinking when it comes to vortex, I've got 196 mods installed in Vortex and only once, have I had to add an esp to as group so it would load AFTER the Bashed Patch, and that's a special requirement to begin with.

All the other mods are sorted and placed automatically by the built in LOOT system.

Stop insisting on following "guides" that tell you "put this esp after this one, and that esp before that one", you'll find that you don't need to do that anymore.

The only load order you should be adjusting is your mod load order (the BSAs, Textures, and Meshes), and Vortex will tell you which ones are conflicting and all you have to do is decided which mod loads before or after another.

It's.That.Easy.

Stop fighting Against Vortex and work with It.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vortex needs to let me manually tweak my load order in addition to its current function, I am wasting tones of time trying to get it to accept rules when I know I could manually group 3 esps next to each other and solve the problem, but no, Vortex knows better and no matter how I try and phrase the rules will ignore them.... I appreciate its user friendly approach but mod users are generally competent users at the least and a manual option is necessary, it would save time a lot of frustration as I mess around trying to convince it to do what I need

Vortex recognizes that a manual option is necessary, and it will let you manually tweak your load order. In fact, Vortex will let you manually micromanage if you want to. However, that would be a waste of time because Vortex will do most of the work for you. I used to sort plugins all the time. Then, almost ten months ago, I tried Vortex and discovered that I didn't need to do all that sorting. I could actually spend time playing Fallout 4, etc., rather than play "where to put the plugin."

In the case you mention, have you tried the following? Create a custom group designed solely for the 3 .esp's. Place the group in an appropriate place in the groups hierarchy. For each one of the 3 .esp's open up the right-hand panel on the plugins page and place it in the custom group. Now for plugins A, B, and C you need define only two rules, viz., B must load after A, and C must load after B. This way you now have 3 .esp's next to one another and in the proper order. If you do this, or already have done it, sort with Vortex and not with LOOT. Vortex will respect your rules, but LOOT may not.

"If you want to remove that rule from the esp, it is a two click process, click the dependencies icon, click the (-) sign for the rule that was applied."

Wrong, there frequently is no (-) symbol, so I can't remove the rule, and it doesn't show in Manage Rules, either. And now I've got cyclical rules that I can't seem to remove.

Two Thumbs Down.

"If you want to remove that rule from the esp, it is a two click process, click the dependencies icon, click the (-) sign for the rule that was applied."

Wrong, there frequently is no (-) symbol, so I can't remove the rule, and it doesn't show in Manage Rules, either. And now I've got cyclical rules that I can't seem to remove.

Two Thumbs Down.

You can easily remove them by following the instructions right on the Cyclic Pop up representation.

Also, if you'd stop messing up your load order and let Vortex manage it, you wouldn't be getting Cyclic rules because of you not knowing what you're doing.

People are so used to being able to freely mess up their load orders manually in NMM, that they insist on continuing to manually mess them up in Vortex, then blame Vortex for it.

The fact that Vortex is reporting Errors when you manually move your load order around, is showing you that you're messing up your load order by putting things in the wrong place and Vortex is telling you so, No other Mod Manager does that.

Two Thumbs Down.

The rules you can't remove are masterlist rules, those by themselves certainly don't produce a cycle.

The masterlist is community knowledge, built by some of the most experienced users in the community and mod authors themselves. The cycle you're getting means: you made changes that contradict that knowledge.

Interpret it like this: You were trying to set rules that the community knows to be incorrect.

It's a safety net, telling you that you're making a mistake, why would you be mad about that?

As everybody already told you, you are trying to do things ( in Vortex ) they way you think it should be, your own way ... because you believe that you are smarter than Vortex. Wrong button dude !! And this is happening to a probably every single person coming to use Vortex for the first time : either they do not read about Vortex at all or they believe that because they know NMM, they can come to deal with Vortex like if they were super knowledgeable that can eat Vortex for breakfast ... or both at the same time !

If you would like to learn Vortex, you would have to stick to its logic, accept it and move on. Otherwise, stay with NMM or MO. Or you are humble ( mature ) to accept your mistake or too stubborn ( childish ) to continue insisting on something that you won't be able to change.

I get that automatic sorting solves all kinds of problems. Unfortunately, the issue I have now is something in my load order is causing the game to crash, and there is no VVortex errors in terms of load oreder. With NMM, and it's load order drag and drop, it was far easier to resolve this kind of issue. Why can't Vortex allow this load order drag, in addition to the automation provided by Loot? or does it and i can't see how to do it?

As everybody already told you, you are trying to do things ( in Vortex ) they way you think it should be, your own way ... because you believe that you are smarter than Vortex. Wrong button dude !! And this is happening to a probably every single person coming to use Vortex for the first time : either they do not read about Vortex at all or they believe that because they know NMM, they can come to deal with Vortex like if they were super knowledgeable that can eat Vortex for breakfast ... or both at the same time !

If you would like to learn Vortex, you would have to stick to its logic, accept it and move on. Otherwise, stay with NMM or MO. Or you are humble ( mature ) to accept your mistake or too stubborn ( childish ) to continue insisting on something that you won't be able to change.

It's a shame folks in this thread are being obnoxious to folks who are hionestly here trying to reolve the issues they ahve with this software. How about you either help or leave your snide remarks to yourself.