Managing the Load Order...

acdover

As much as LOOT seems to be a tool for managing Load Order of games somewhat automatically, I personally only use once per game, after I've installed all my mods to generate a starting point for my Load Order and then I sit with Nexus Mod Manager or Wrye Bash/Flash for whatever game I'm modding and manually adjust my load order. I'm one of those old school modders that likes to organise my load order by grouping like for like mods together. I also like manually managing my mod conflicts and determining which mod wins a conflict by adjusting it's place manually in my load order.

Having downloaded and installed Vortex today on my Laptop to test it with the only game I currently have installed on there, the Skyrim Special Edition, I imported my Nexus Mod Manager profile and it instantly pissed me off by changing the load order completely and ignoring what I have setup and tried and tested with Nexus Mod Manager. So of course I now go to re-order my Vortex Load Order and that is the most infuriating system every designed. The dependencies system this software uses is the most long winded, pain in the arse method for trying to adjust and manage your load order. A manual drag and drop system has been tried and tested for many years in every other mod manager including Tannin's own Mod Organizer. So why not offer that function as an option for people who just want quick and simple adjustment to their load order without having to try and perform brain surgery with this ridiculous new method which takes so much longer, especially when trying to drag the link to mods if you have a large mod list, as the scrolling system in this window is very finicky and slow.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The annoying thing about this Dependencies system, as I've tried to battle with all afternoon, is that when I tell it that I want Mod A to load after Mod B, it's not just happy moving that one Mod that I have instructed to be moved but feels the need to move a whole bunch of other mods I've not instructed it to do anything with. Then I'm forced to interact with these Mods to try and move them back to where I want them to be not where some stupid automatic system or LOOT thinks they should be. After several hours I'm now in a state where Vortex is constantly giving me some errors about "Cyclic Order" and won't sort the mods. So I'm pretty much done with this program and will stick with Nexus Mod Manager, Mod Organizer 2 and Wyre Bash. The old expression rings very true here, "If it's not broken, don't try fixing it!"

Trying to get Vortex to match the load order from Nexus Mod Manager is just so frustrating and I don't understand why when importing the mods and profile from Nexus Mod Manager it didn't copy across and use the Load Order already setup that works and has been working perfectly fine for several months.

Edited by duckyduckyquackquack

errors about "Cyclic Order"

*stops clock*

can't remember who pointed out this will become a problem, and i also expected ppl will run into that fast, but dude, you deserve a gold star.

A gold star? For creating cyclic dependencies by abusing/misusing Vortex's rules? That is not a bug or failure in Vortex.

*stops clock*

can't remember who pointed out this will become a problem, and i also expected ppl will run into that fast, but dude, you deserve a gold star.

A gold star? For creating cyclic dependencies by abusing/misusing Vortex's rules? That is not a bug or failure in Vortex.

sry, i forgot the "/s"

*stops clock*

sry, i forgot the "/s"

Nah, my bad for misreading you. :cool:

Well I wouldn't have run into this 'Cyclic Order' issue if the dependencies system was more user friendly and easier to work with. That's why I prefer the manually dragging and dropping of plugins in the load order to re-arrange them as that doesn't get all weird and broken when trying to ensure Mod A loads after B, which loads after C, which loads after D, which loads after E without having the issue of mods J, K and L jumping and moving about the load order to weird places when at no point have I touched them.

Well I wouldn't have run into this 'Cyclic Order' issue if the dependencies system was more user friendly and easier to work with. That's why I prefer the manually dragging and dropping of plugins in the load order to re-arrange them as that doesn't get all weird and broken when trying to ensure Mod A loads after B, which loads after C, which loads after D, which loads after E without having the issue of mods J, K and L jumping and moving about the load order to weird places when at no point have I touched them.

Tannin says you're too dumb to manage your own load order now though, apparently you now have to do things his way or ditch Vortex.

I realise now that Vortex is not a Mod Management tool aimed at a user like me, or anyone with experience of modding. I now see and have had it explained to me, that this tool is for total beginner's to modding or PC gaming. I can see how Vortex will be a great tool for people like that and offer them a better alternative to Bethesda.net which they probably only have experience of using until now. I like how Vortex is aiming to be the bridge to help these beginner's move towards an intermediate understanding which would then allow them to progress to using the intermediate and advanced tools many of us are using now to mod our games. Without a doubt when I started modding games 7 years ago, a tool like Vortex would have been invaluable.