Computer Start Problem

christinalevinee

Hi,

I tried turning my computer on around a month ago to no avail. The motherboard was recieving power but wasn't starting, so I put it on a broken PSU (Be Quiet Pure Power 8, 600w). I just wired up my new PSU (Corsair RM750x) and am still having the same issue.

The motherboard light is green and the graphics card lights come on. Everything appears to be wired up as it should, including the power SW and HDD cabels.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Are you sure you got all the power cables, that need to, plugged in the mobo? (the long 24-pin connector, which is the main mobo power, but also a smaller pin count near the CPU and the PCI slots (those powers those components seperatly))

If the PC turns on and stays on, but the monitor doesn't light-up, then check monitor cables first.

- Also check/reseat RAM modules.

- When using multiple RAM modules, try them separately one at a time

- Make sure (if applicable) that the extra 4-pins/2x4-pins CPU power cable is connected.

- Make sure the PCIe power connector(s) for the GPU is/are seated properly.

Faulty RAM modules usually get the PC stuck in a boot-loop (rebooting constantly mid-post) but can sometimes result in the PC just idling without booting.

Not wanting to fear-monger, but a computer that starts up with fans spinning without doing much else (including the monitor not starting), to me smells like the CPU has given-up the ghost.

• 1 month later...

Hi,
I tried turning my computer on around a month ago to no avail. The motherboard was recieving power but wasn't starting, so I put it on a broken PSU (Be Quiet Pure Power 8, 600w). I just wired up my new PSU (Corsair RM750x) and am still having the same issue.
The motherboard light is green and the graphics card lights come on. Everything appears to be wired up as it should, including the power SW and HDD cabels.
Any ideas?
Cheers

The first thing I would check is the backup battery.

Sometimes a backup battery has enoguh power to let the user to use BIOS, but not enough power to actually boot the system. So, I suggest that you try another backup battery, preferably unused, and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like it could be just about anything. My suggestion is to take out the gfx card first to see if that's the culprit. Could be that your motherboard has taken damage and needs to be replaced.