Share mods folder with MO

Zora

Not having to move my 100gb folder of mods from MO2 to the Vortex\{game}\mods folder would be a godsend, especially since the two folders seem identical. They both contain subfolders of individual mods and I can't see how sharing the mods folder is a bad thing.

Please enlighten me of why this needs to be a thing? And what is stopping this feature from being implemented?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything about it.

Thank you for your time.

Well, the (really dumb) answer is: Vortex is the successor to NMM, not to MO.

You should be mostly fine sharing the same dirs between MO and Vortex because as you said, they both have one subdirectory per mod.

However, MO saves its meta information about mods (ids, name, version, ...) in the meta.ini file whereas Vortex uses a database, so while you're sharing the files, the meta information would be kept separately.

If you add/install a mod in one tool, the other tool would know nothing about the mod.

Worse though: Since the meta.ini file isn't a special file to Vortex it would show a file conflict between all mods because MO creates a meta.ini for each of them.

care to interpret it as a feature request, not for the february release but for the distant future?

basically blacklisting functionality based on file extension for the advanced users - i could see `readme.txt`s become an issue.

or are readmes/describtions handled a special way? i.e for mods not coming from nexus

Edited by kamikatze13

You could have Vortex transfer the mods over although it may simply copy the MO folder, but if you have the disk space then do this and delete the old folder. (I haven't used the transfer option so I'm not sure if it moves or copies.)

Edited by MinecastDylan

care to interpret it as a feature request, not for the february release but for the distant future?

basically blacklisting functionality based on file extension for the advanced users - i could see `readme.txt`s become an issue.

or are readmes/describtions handled a special way? i.e for mods not coming from nexus

Good point, I'll put it on the todo list.