[Help] Adding a Light Switch Script

ArchPhaeton

I need someone to add a simple light switch script to two light markers I've added to my worldspace, so that they only turn on at night.

I've tried everything and already extracted scripts.zip in my data folder for no avail - CK crashes as soon as I fill the script content and hit OK.

I've spend the whole day trying to fix this crash and I'm at my wit's end, so if someone can pick the mod and do that simple step please pm me, thanks!

You will likely never find anyone who will do it for you, but maybe help you figure out how to do it. I'm assuming you don't know how to script or even compile a script? When you say light markers, do you mean lights (found in CK Object Window under WorldObjects), camp fires, candles?

If you are just interested in turning on and off a light bulb (light) that emits lights, you don't need a script for that. Just click on the light bulb that you have placed in the Render Window and a Reference box will pop up. Navigate to the Emittance Tab and in the Exterior Light section choose FXLightRegionInvertDayNight in the drop down box. Click OK.

Helpful Tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DARKF0X127/playlists?shelf_id=3&sort=dd&view=50

- I'm assuming you don't know how to script or even compile a script?-

Indeed I know nothing about that. I'm a tutorial follower rudimentary modder.

This is the setup:

47a75e3f6af8e8d664077fe01f6ffddd.png

I wanted to follow this method to make the light markers turn on/off, but CK just crashes.

I don't mind the light fixtures at all since they don't give actual light and my interest is to illuminate the entrance and rooftop of the tower at night.

Thanks for your suggestion - I tried it but the light marker shuts off both in the ck preview and in-game, but doesn't turn on or produce any light at day or night.

I can't really see the items you've circled. Are they light bulbs? Also, while you can place light bulbs outdoors, they are mostly designed for indoor use since the light can't be seen that well outside.

Hit the light radius marker (L on the keyboard). The radius of the light will show up as circular lines surrounding the light bulb and you will be able to see the boundaries of your light. Obviously, the the further from the center of the bulb the less light. You can modify the intensity of light by pressing Cont+Alt+S and moving your mouse up (brighter) or down (dimmer). Here is a keyboard map that should be useful to you.

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Creation_Kit_Keyboard_Mapping

I'm familiar with that script but you don't need it to adjust lights on and off. It is used more to turn fire sources on and off, such as firewood, torch lights, etc. The method I described above will do the job for what you want if all you have is the light bulbs. Be sure that the Emittance tab (EXTERIOR) has the correct emittance choice. Using the emittance modification comes in pretty handy indoors when you want to control lights around windows to have an effect of sunshine coming through windows, or candle and firelight showing up at night.

Are you using the Original Skyrim CK or SSE?

I can't really see the items you've circled. Are they light bulbs? Also, while you can place light bulbs outdoors, they are mostly designed for indoor use since the light can't be seen that well outside.-

-

Are you using the Original Skyrim CK or SSE?-

Thanks for your reply. Yeah it's hard to see them, that's why I circled them. They both are "WhiterunFireLightNS" light markers.

b9fba77f0dc7a1032fdfa615e0cc7688.png

0896226c2681a4ff8638f34fb322e88a.png

I can see their brightness both in game and in-editor. I tested that Exterior emittance method in the interior and it behaved the same, the marker's light shuts off and never comes back on. Using CK 64 bit "newrim version".

The lights have to shut off and on if you have it set up correctly. You may not be hitting on the correct time when you are looking which should be around first daylight to shut off and night to shut on. If you want the light to come on during the day and off at night then use FXLightRegionSunlight.

I'd suggest looking at this vid in its entirety which gives some basic info on lighting, but to what you want, specifically start looking at the vid at 14:45 and it will show you exactly how to set it up.

As for CK crashing, if you didn't set up the script correctly, or tried to do something wonky with it, that could crash the CK.

The lights have to shut off and on if you have it set up correctly. You may not be hitting on the correct time when you are looking which should be around first daylight to shut off and night to shut on. --

As for CK crashing, if you didn't set up the script correctly, or tried to do something wonky with it, that could crash the CK.

Well I wasn't trying anything funny script-wise, just a copy paste of the one in the light script link, minus the bracketed text, sice the CK told me it wasn't gonna accept brackets in the script.

I took my time to make a clean as possible skyrim setup, and retried this - Oddly enough, it worked for the light above but not the one below. I copied the working one, put it at the entrance, and apparently they are working now :)

cf159b161dad75e1074974305531b1dc.png

5cc15123d6649949c71559559d90c523.png

2c006d43ec16bfbf413e0de0ef863c35.png

Not sure if the scripts still make CK crash, I'm staying away from that to avoid a frustrating scenario.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

[/img]

It looks like it's working to me. The light in the porch area is much lighter than surrounding area. Did you move it around to see if you can confirm that it is working....it has to work no ifs about it. Also, the bulb may be too high up. Play with positioning.