Fluffy Khajiit Project

Ashnur

if your referring to the _1, I'm just reffering to using two meshes to define a 0-100 scale which is needed if you want to create a slider for the fur mesh, like fur length. "It allows females to wear facial hairs... and facial hairs respond to sliders!" Although I may have misunderstood what you meant.

But to answer your question, no there isn't. But you can create a head preset that acts like a _0 scale to help resolve neck gaps when giving a body a low slider scale.

Edited by NightroModzz

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your referring to the _1, I'm just reffering to using two meshes to define a 0-100 scale which is needed if you want to create a slider for the fur mesh, like fur length. "It allows females to wear facial hairs... and facial hairs respond to sliders!" Although I may have misunderstood what you meant.

But to answer your question, no there isn't. But you can create a head preset that acts like a _0 scale to help resolve neck gaps when giving a body a low slider scale.

The fur length is not linked to the two meshes _0 / _1 at all. Each weight state, let's say the full weight "_1" for example, loads a set of meshes for the different body parts. At full weight, in the case of the "_1" version, you'll have height variations/fur effects, even without a "_0" somewhere. But it seems to work only for body parts that have this kind of variations : Body, feet, hands.... But not the head.

The concept of the fur is that on the base mesh you have several meshes stricly identical to the first one, but extruded a little, like a sheet of paper a few milimetters away each time. Each shell (5 in most cases), share a same texture (based on the texture of your original mesh, like the body/face texture), with a lot of noise and transparency. The noise+extrusion will make something like dots converted to "hairs" since it gives height to each ones. (not sure if I explain it well, english is not my native language ^^).

For example I managed to have some fur on head, but of course it didn't fit he face I worked on with sliders. ^^

My idea was : if the beard meshes are linked to the face, wouldn't it be possible to do the same with a full "fur head" effect?

I'll try it tomorrow if enough time ^^

And thanks again for your patience and reply! :)

So your saying it can be be possible, but more unrealistically with custom head mesh sliders, that is only if you can get the fur mesh to move with head sliders like beards and wont be an absolute unmovable static? Like a slider for the default cheeks on the male Khajiit head for example, and the mesh/shell layer will follow.

Edited by NightroModzz

So your saying it can be be possible, but more unrealistically with custom head mesh sliders, that is only if you can get the fur mesh to move with head sliders like beards and wont be an absolute unmovable static? Like a slider for the default cheeks on the male Khajiit head for example, and the mesh/shell layer will follow.

Exactly!

I took a look at the beard system, and sadly for this to work with my fur/head parts I'll need specific TRI files to be made also.

I won't have time to make it today, so I'll try this later.

EDIT : I decided to try it afterall. And I managed to make my facial fur work with a beard/facial hair slider in racemenu! :smile:

It still isn't good at all, since it's not perfectly shaped to the base head (and texture is not good looking compared into NifSkope...and moreover sliders doesn't work for now)... but it's still a good point!

I used the base facial hair mesh I previously made. All five shells linked to slot 130. In TEDSVEdit I make a copy of the HumanBeardShort02, and choose my own nif file, and a TRI file I created with Conformulator tool and with the dummy files from Skyrim Hair Morph Helper.

(but, from the help file in Skyrim Hair Morph Helper : "Must be a single shape, if you have multiple TriShapes, morphing will not work. These will need to be combined into a single shape first.". In my case it'll be a sproblem since I need 5 NiTrishape in a single nif. :/)

I still don't understand well the file structure in this part :

For each beard there's 4 files involed :

- the mesh of your beard -> the nif file I made

- a Race Morph TRI file -> I keep the original record

- a Tri file (no other description) -> I put my own TRI file generated with Conformulator

- a Chargen Morph TRI file -> I also keep the original record

In my case I choose the HumanBeardSHort02 so the two TRI files that I don't change are :

- Race Morph : HumanBeardShort02Races.tri

- Chargen Morph : HumanBeardShort02Chargen.tri

EDIT : After extracting the all TRI files, I think as their names implies that it contains all the base OBJ to morph the base mesh, for base racial variations in the first file, and for all chargen sliders in the second file.

The TRI file I generated with Conformulator only contains a single obj : the base object. The original one from the beard contains also all base phonems/blink/etc.

That's a lot of things!

Edited by Ashnur

Since my head mesh is the same as the female base head -except with 5 shells meshes-, I think that maybe it's possible to apply all the obj morphes from to the base to mine?

But I'm not sure, and I don't know how to do it. ^^

Since my head mesh is the same as the female base head -except with 5 shells meshes-, I think that maybe it's possible to apply all the obj morphes from to the base to mine?

But I'm not sure, and I don't know how to do it. ^^

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you trying to apply the same shape to the shell layers as the head shape? Or are you trying to merge all shell mesh layers into one OBJ? Or are you trying to merge all shell layers along with the head mesh as one OBJ? And I don't think there is a way to automatically create try files to follow the head tri files without some sort of weighting done. And not like Outfit Studios, because the shell layers would just end up being the same dimensions. It would need to be made from scratch.

Here is what I would do to get the same shape per tri file obj from the head. This is assuming that each shell layer is a mesh, correct? This only applies if you are not gonna have to make a custom mesh shape with sharp angles. If so, then you would need to morph the shape of the first one made to each tri file.

1) Mask an area for each obj from the tri file. Make sure topology is the same for each mask.

2) Make that area into it's own polygroup.

3) Hide that polygroup and mask all.

4) Show all and the polygroup should be unmasked.

5) Duplicate head however many times needed.

6) Have a different level of inflation for each head polygroup section.

7) Hide everything but the polygroup made and delete hidden for each head.

8 ) Now if needed, merge each mesh layer that you plan to use as a shell, then make UVs.

9) After that, repeat for every tri file, then copy and paste UVs from the first one made if tri files require UVs of the base. Again, make sure topology (polygons and vertices) is the same every time, as well as levels of inflation.

By the way, I use ZBrush. There is a free fully featured 45-day trial, unless you are able to do all that in Blender.

Edited by NightroModzz

Thank you for your answer(s) NightoModzz!

I'm currently using (and learning) 3DSMax. Blender is not my cup of tea.. its UI, is quite hard to understand, not my taste at all, too "cryptic" for me.

Zbrush might be very interesting, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip! ^^ (I've seen videos of it, and it looks very appealing I admit. And even if 3DSMax UI is nice, the zoom tool is a nightmare -or I don't know how to use it corretly^^-).

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you trying to apply the same shape to the shell layers as the head shape? Or are you trying to merge all shell mesh layers into one OBJ? Or are you trying to merge all shell layers along with the head mesh as one OBJ? And I don't think there is a way to automatically create try files to follow the head tri files without some sort of weighting done. And not like Outfit Studios, because the shell layers would just end up being the same dimensions. It would need to be made from scratch.

Here is what I would do to get the same shape per tri file obj from the head. This is assuming that each shell layer is a mesh, correct? This only applies if you are not gonna have to make a custom mesh shape with sharp angles. If so, then you would need to morph the shape of the first one made to each tri file.

Let's say that the nif file that contains the fur for the head is made of several nitripshapes : one for each shell.

Each shell is made with 3DSMax with the shell modifier based on the head mesh. I create this way 5 meshes, like 5 "skins" extruded more and more outside the base mesh. So the global Nif file will contain 5 meshes->5 NiTriShape.

Here's a link to the Nif file I'm working on : LINK. This way it'll be more easy to understand I think. :smile:

I was trying to have these 5 meshes work together in only one Nif files, with the sliders from the Tri files of the base head. But as you can guess it doesn't work^^

For several reasons. One is the Obj generated with all 5 meshes inside can't work with TRI morphs. It needs to have only one NiTripshape inside. It's due to FaceGen used by skyrim from what I've read.

So I had an idea, but it will be quite horrible to do :

- keep my extrusion method until enough meshes/shells

- combine all these meshes into ONE

- edit the global texture to combine all of the 5 textures, but since I change progressively the transparency in each NiTriShape, I need to do it manually for each shell texture before combining these 5 textures into one big.

----> this way my new Nif will only contain ONE Nitripshape, and the morphs from tri files will work.

(not sure if you'll understand this idea.. it's quite strange, and I'm really tired... so not easy to read/understand^^)

I'll try to understand your method tomorrow, I'm really tired tonight^^

Thanks again and have a good night!

Edited by Ashnur

Well I don't understand the Nif part, since I work as a team and ony learn the professional applications and avoid the CreationKit and Nifskope aside from using it to export.

It is kind of strange and won't get it on the Nif and texture side, so all I can say is best of luck, and hope it works.

Not sure if you are doing this for Dagi-Raht, but does say khajiit. If Khajiit, feel free to use my meshes here after the 1.1 update (which also gets rid of the neck fur layer for females and adds a new female tail mesh). However, some tri files would need to be fixed for those heads and will be done for the 1.2 update. I believe you mentioned something about hand meshes. Those are also in the works. I believe Bad Dog also has a plantigrade version of my feet mesh as well, that I didn't include in my mod.

Edited by NightroModzz

So from what I understand this is a project to make Fluffy Khajiit, only the Khajiit isn't a retexture/skin texture. It's a outfit/suit your character wears yeah? I'd just love to see this as a skin retexture someday, since the images I've seen, are absolutely stunning.

Okay, so, about the whole thing with the head meshes, this are my thoughts:

"Even if vert order is preserved (which I think it is, at least going by the Blender instructions from the Fusa Fusa Project mod page though I'm not 100% sure), you can't have multiple NiTriShapes in a head part nif, so the only way around it would be to leave the original head nif untouched and add each shell as a separate nif as extra head parts in the head part data (like hair lines are for hairs)."

To clarify: head part nifs can't have more than one NiTriShape in them due to engine limitations, so you can't have the head and the 4-5 shell shapes in the same nif. But, the game allows you to add as many "Extra Parts" in the head part data as you want (hairs do it to add the "Hair line" to the main Hair record so they are loaded at the same time ingame even though they are in separate nifs). So in theory you could create the shells you need for the head and save each of them as a single NiTriShape in separate nifs and then load all of them as extra parts in the head data.

The end result would be that all 5 meshes (head + 4 shells) would be loaded ingame at the same time just like if they were actually in the same nif file without being in the same nif file. As an added bonus, if the "shell creation" process can be done without deleting vertices or changing vertex order from the original head mesh, you wouldn't even need to create or edit .tri files, because the original ones would still work with the shells.

Of course, this assumes the reason for all 4 shells to be in the same nif as the base mesh is simply for them to be loaded at the same time; if there is some other technical reason that needs them to be in the same nif or else the effect doesn't work, then this method would unfortunately not be an option. But I thought I should share it in case it was possible.