Modding tools you use ?

Hazolp

Hello everyone !

After surfing hours & hours on the nexus, searching for the perfects mods, I decided to start modding on my own. I'm in a Video Game School (where we learn how to make them, not how to play them), and I have some capacities when it comes to 3D modeling.

So I would like to be able to share my knowledge with you, mod users, through mods I would create.

BUT, and it's a big BUT : I can't find the right tools.

I've tried my hand on Blender (both 2.49b and newer), read amount on guide on the subject, but my .NIF are either empty or non-working.

I've also tried a trick (Using Caliente Outfit Studio tool to convert my .OBJ to .NIF, but it don't seems to be working for static meshes) but it did not worked quite well...

So I was wondering if you had any tools that works particularly great, or if you have any nice guides...

Thanks !

EDIT#1 : Or if someone can help me with what is wrong here...

rz395w8.png

EDIT#2: Or here with the blender export...

zQ69kTY.png

Edited by Hazolp

Yeah, .nif export from Blender doesn't support Skyrim's format. When going through Outfit Studio, what it wrong with the structure and what is unchanged in the game? Does it just not appear? What is supposed to be different about it that isn't working the way you want?

Also, as a student, you can probably get access to a student version of 3ds Max, which would make your life much easier.

Ooooorrrr, maybe it does support Skyrim now. I thought the blender .nif scripts were essentially defunct. Check here. Or Here

Edited by jkruse05

Grab the 1.2.0 version of Nifskope from this page. https://github.com/niftools/nifskope/releases It does some things that 2.0 does not.

Also there seems to be a limit to how many vertices Nifskope can handle on a single trishape. If a mesh doesn't show up in Nifskope, try splitting it up into a few smaller pieces using blender. Or you could also try decimating the mesh, but, that doesn't always look so nice.

Grab the 1.2.0 version of Nifskope from this page. https://github.com/niftools/nifskope/releases It does some things that 2.0 does not.

In addition to that: With older versions of Nifskope, you'd export as .3ds file from Blender 2.78/9. Then you'd import that .3ds file in Nifskope. Works great for static stuff, weapons and the like. Easy and fast, nothing to worry too much about. Just make sure you always have only one mesh or part of a mesh active in Blender before exporting. Exporting with multiple meshes active won't work too well...

I don't do armours myself, so I know little about that. AFAIK, exporting from Blender as OBJ to Outfide Studio is the usual way. But I'm sure others could tell you more about the details...

Thanks you two for your answer ! I'll try the .3ds method, alongside with NifSkope 1.2 :smile: Thanks !

EDIT#1: Hum... Well, tried to doawnload NifSkope 1.2, but it crash right at launch. Is there things that needs to be installed before launching this version (2.0 was working fine)

EDIT#2: And I hope that the error when importing SSE .nif are solved with 1.2, 'cause with 1.1.3 I get a bunch of errors, and nothing appears in the preview...

Edited by Hazolp

Hmm. Works fine for me. I do know that you can't run them both at the same time. I should also mention that it doesn't always like SSE meshes. The main reason for using 1.2 is so you can import meshes from 3DS and Object formats and save it as a nif then covert to SSE. You might want to get Nif Convert and NifUtilsSuite as well. Let me Know if you can't find the NifUtilsSuiteEXE. For some reason it doesn't come with the NifUtilsSuite Master files.

Sometimes Oldim utilities, like Chunk Merge for instance, don't seem to work with some SSE nifs. In that case I'll edit the Oldrim versions of the mesh and convert to SSE when I'm done. Not ideal, but it is a work around.

So basicly, the "easiest" way for modding this game is to mod Oldrim ? F**k...

Edit#1: And BTW, I cannot find NifUtilsSuite at all @TheWilloughbian. All links I found were dead...

Edited by Hazolp

Hello everyone !

After surfing hours & hours on the nexus, searching for the perfects mods, I decided to start modding on my own. I'm in a Video Game School (where we learn how to make them, not how to play them), and I have some capacities when it comes to 3D modeling.

So I would like to be able to share my knowledge with you, mod users, through mods I would create.

BUT, and it's a big BUT : I can't find the right tools.

I've tried my hand on Blender (both 2.49b and newer), read amount on guide on the subject, but my .NIF are either empty or non-working.

I've also tried a trick (Using Caliente Outfit Studio tool to convert my .OBJ to .NIF, but it don't seems to be working for static meshes) but it did not worked quite well...

So I was wondering if you had any tools that works particularly great, or if you have any nice guides...

Thanks !

If the issue with #1 is the skin stuff, you can use Outfit Studio to remove it prior to exporting. Double click the shape in question (or right click and choose properties) then goto the Geometry tab and uncheck Skinned. Then hit ok and export the nif. That should make it more suitable for a static nif like you're trying to do. You could do this in NifSkope as well but it's many more steps and prone to error due to forgetting something.

EDIT#2: And I hope that the error when importing SSE .nif are solved with 1.2, 'cause with 1.1.3 I get a bunch of errors, and nothing appears in the preview...

Only the latest Version of Nifskope (2.0) has support for SSE meshes. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the import options you need... Sorry I didn't mention this before.

A workaround would be to work on an "Oldrim" basis and convert your work to SE later on, if desired. Converting meshes, animations and plugin files from "oldrim" to SSE is quite an easy task. Converting from SSE to 32bit Skyrim is almost impossible though. It only works in one direction.

So working on a 32 bit base would not only make life easier for you (more modding tools), but also offer you the opportunity to create content for both versions of the game. Not a bad thing - Skyrim legendary edition is still very popular.

To get an impression of the conversion process, you could a look at this video. All the basics are explained in it: