Loosing UVs after import in NifSkope (.3ds or .obj)

Hazolp

Hello everyone !

So, after struggling to get my models in NifSkope (See here for more details on my previous problems), I'm now able to import them ! YAY !

BUT, after importing them, I cannot apply textures to them, despite them being UV Unwrapped in Blender.

Let me give you more information :

- On right clicking my imported object, and going to Textures > Edit UV, NifSkope tells me "Could not load texture data for UV editor."

- But, importing them onto a blank, empty NifSkope project make them texturable and I can edit the UV

- If I use the one I create with a blank NifSkope, once in game, it gives me the traditional "Red Exclamation Mark" meaning there are no readable mesh...

I'm working with .nif from Skyrim, and using Blender 2.79 & NifSkope 1.1.3.

I can provide screenshot and files if you need them.

Thanks all for your time and your help !

EDIT#1: BTW, Explicit in the title, but I tried both .3ds and .obj... With the same result in all case explained.

Edited by Hazolp

Yes, the textures are in .dds format, directed to the right folder.

Like I said, when I import my .3ds in a blank NifSkope, I can texture it, it keeps the UVs, and everything is fine. The problem is that when I do that, my object is no longer visible in-game (red exclamation mark). So to have it visible, I use a Nif from Skyrim as basis, and I import my .3ds in this .nif. The problem is that with this method, I can't texture the imported .3ds. Its like it is losing the UV when I import it in an existing .nif (Right click on the NiTriShape, and going to Textures > Edit UV gives me the error from post #1)...

Exclamation mark in red is the error symbol for a missing mesh, not texture.

In NifSkope, left click on the object NiTriStrips. In the dropdown, left click on BSShaderPPLightingProperty. In the dropdown, left click on BSShaderTextureSet. Look for "Texture SizedString" and left click on the triangle to the left.

This will open the area where you will set the path to the texture files by left clicking on the flower to the right.

There are a lot of tutorials available on the nexus that explains the process with images. I used the one available here: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45444

In blender you have to assign the textures to the materials. Expand the mesh properties in the outliner and look for the circle thingy. Then follow the tut on this page....................https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/render/blender_render/textures/assigning_a_texture.html

I known this, it has been done. Has said, the problem is that when I import the .3ds into an existing .nif, I cannot asign it some textures (And I cannot edit the UVs, which make me say that the UVs are lost during the import), but if I import it when NifSkope has nothing loaded, I can asign it some textures and edit its UV (or at least open the Edit UV panel)

Exclamation mark in red is the error symbol for a missing mesh, not texture.

In NifSkope, left click on the object NiTriStrips. In the dropdown, left click on BSShaderPPLightingProperty. In the dropdown, left click on BSShaderTextureSet. Look for "Texture SizedString" and left click on the triangle to the left.

This will open the area where you will set the path to the texture files by left clicking on the flower to the right.

There are a lot of tutorials available on the nexus that explains the process with images. I used the one available here: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45444

Yes, I know that the exclamation mark come from missing mesh... That's what I've been saying the whole time. I tried to create a .nif for Skyrim from blank, because it was the only way I would be able to apply textures to my mesh. And because it was blank, teh structure of the .nif was bad, so there was indeed no meshes.

I will try the method you are saying.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to help a f***ing noob in modding.

1. What kind of meshes are we talking about here? Static objects? Weapons? Armor? The method with .3ds should work for anything except armors / clothes / body parts. For these, you should rather export as OBJ and convert with Outfit Studio.

2. Are you trying to import your .3ds files into SE meshes? This won't work. You would have to work with "Oldrim" meshes and convert them to SE format later.

3. What exactly do you mean by "cannot assign textures"? Are you sure it isn't only a display issue? NIfskope 1.x behaves somewhat strange regarding textures. They often aren't displayed in Nifskope, although they are there and show up correctly in the game.

1. What kind of meshes are we talking about here? Static objects? Weapons? Armor? The method with .3ds should work for anything except armors / clothes / body parts. For these, you should rather export as OBJ and convert with Outfit Studio.

2. Are you trying to import your .3ds files into SE meshes? This won't work. You would have to work with "Oldrim" meshes and convert them to SE format later.

3. What exactly do you mean by "cannot assign textures"? Are you sure it isn't only a display issue? NIfskope 1.x behaves somewhat strange regarding textures. They often aren't displayed in Nifskope, although they are there and show up correctly in the game.

1. Here I'm currently trying to create Static Meshes.

2. No, I'm working from Oldrim Nifs (Was pointed to that direction in the thread I linked in post #1)

3. You know, in NifSkope, when left-clicking a NiTriShape, there is a Submenu called Textures, and from there, if the mesh is imported correctly, you see two Submenus : Edit UV & Export Template. Well if I import my .3ds in my Oldrim Nif, I get only the Edit UV submenu, and when clicking it, it gives me the error "Could not load texture data for UV editor." which makes my mesh impossible to use any textures, since it has not loaded with UVs...

3. You know, in NifSkope, when left-clicking a NiTriShape, there is a Submenu called Textures, and from there, if the mesh is imported correctly, you see two Submenus : Edit UV & Export Template. Well if I import my .3ds in my Oldrim Nif, I get only the Edit UV submenu, and when clicking it, it gives me the error "Could not load texture data for UV editor." which makes my mesh impossible to use any textures, since it has not loaded with UVs...

I've seen that. I would need the mesh in front of me to help you. I this something you made, or a mesh from the game you are trying to alter?