Need Help with Problems applying textures to models

CO2blast2

I have a problem. I've created a texture and a normal map for it, but I'm unable to get it to actually appear on the model. I've made a texture set for the dds files but applying the texture set to the model does nothing. Can anyone help? I have no clue what to do. I'm quite new to this. Thank you.

I can't write a complete tutorial for texturing right now, besides that there are several good ones out there. The process is basically the same for "Oldrim" and SE, so any basic tutorial on texturing for Skyrim would do.

If you want a simple retexture of an already existing item (it sounds like this), you don't need to create new texture sets or anything in the Construction Kit. The basic process is like this:

1. Find the mesh you want to retexture.

2. Find out the name of the textures, that are used by this mesh.

3. Find out, in which folder these textures were placed in the original Skyrim texture bsa-archives.

4. "Re-create" this folder from the bsa in your Skyrim SE/data folder. Copy your replacement textures to the right location, name them exactly as the ones you want to replace.

5. You're done. Your new textures will now "overwrite" the ones in the game's archives.

This sounds easy, but steps 1-3 take some work. One possible way is this one:

1. Download Nifskope. https://github.com/niftools/nifskope/releases

2. Download a BSA extractor (e.g. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/974)

3. Extract the archives "Skyrim - meshes0.bsa" and "Skyrim - meshes1.bsa" with the archive extractor.

4. Find the mesh for your object within these meshes. You may also use the CK to find the mesh.

5. Open the mesh in Nifskope. Go to "Nitrishape --> BSLightingShaderProperty --> BSShadertextureSet. If there are multiple parts of an object, you may have to do this several times. This will show you, what textures the object uses.

6. Recreate the folder structure for the textures in Skyrim Special Editioon/data. E.g., if a path in Nifskope reads "/textures/weapons/daedric/daedricsword.dds", create the folder "Skyrim Special Edition/Data//textures/weapons/daedric".

7. Now copy your new textures to that newly created folder. Give our textures the exact same name as the texture you want to replace. E.g., if you wanted to replace "daedric_sword.dds" and "daedric_sword_n.dds" (the suffix "_n" indicates, that the texture is a normal map), rename your textures "daedric_sword.dds" and "daedric_sword_n.dds"

8. Congrats - you've changed the texture!

There are different approaches on how to actually do the single steps, but that's the basic procedure for retexturing.