Calculating Enchantment Effect Magnitudes

Grimolfr

I'm attempting to create a custom object effect enchantment that is a combination of resist magic, fortify magicka (detrimental) and fortify magicka rate (detrimental). The idea being that the stronger the resistance effect, the more your magicka is reduced and the more your magicka recovery rate is slowed.

The problem is, the resist magic and fortify magicka rate (detrimental) effects aren't being calculated, they're using the magnitude entered in the object effect. The fortify magicka (detrimental) is being calculated, though.

Ultimately, this means that I can just enchant with a petty soul gem to minimize the detrimental effect, and still get the same resistance effect.

What do I do to the magic effects to get them ALL to be calculated based on skill/buffs/gem as intended?

In case it matters, I'm looking to do similar enchantments with resist fire/frost/shock and haven't been able to get them to calculate, either.

I went round and round and round with this, and have no good answer. Best I could find was a blurb, in a tutorial, that mentioned unusual behavior for too many magic effects in the same enchantment. What I ended up having to do, with my mod, was lock them all down so they always enchant at x strength. Every attempt to do something else resulted in some changing with skill, others not changing at all, and even some becoming wildly strong.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stubborn. I kept fooling with this.

I figured out ... something. Not sure what, exactly, but I have a direction.

It's somehow related to cost calculations, I think.

I was trying to create 3 different combo enchantments: fire, frost, and shock each combined with a soul trap. I noticed that with a fixed soul trap duration, the shock would scale up, but not the fire or frost. I went digging through the magic effects, and the base cost for shock was 14, and fire and frost were both low, like 1.5 and 0.9 low. I created one-offs of all three magic effects and set the base costs to 7, 8, and 9, and now they all scale, even with soul trap on the same weapon.

I think if the calculated # of charges falls outside some "reasonable" range then it falls back to your hard-coded magnitude/duration values, and uses the base cost for the enchantment cost. This keeps you from creating a weapon with 2 charges or one with 64,000 charges (or whatever the more reasonable range is.)

Effect ordering and flags didn't seem to affect the outcome at all, except for the obvious result of turning off the "Power determines magnitude" flag.

Now that I've got my enchantments working in an acceptable fashion, I may come back and look at the math later to figure out more specific limitations. For now I'm posting this for posterity and so people (including me) can find it in the future.

I'm struggling with same topic. I have one custom enchantment which is almost same enchantment with Fortify [OMS]. Its base magnitude is 8 (same as like any other Fortify [OMS]) and its magic effect costs 25 (average value if you consider other Fortify [OMS] magic effects). But somehow regular Fortify [OMS] enchantment's magnitude can be scaled to 25 with 100 enchanting skill, all its perks and black soul gem but my custom enchantment can be scaled to 20 which is most.

So anyone who knows how magnitude of magic effect of enchantment is calculating by game it will be very useful information.

OMS: One of Magic Schools

- Addition After Digging Around -

Well I figured it out why it was like that.

First of all, I found this formula. It is calculation of magnitude of magic effect (Apparel Effect) on enchantment:

net magnitude = base magnitude * soul multiplier * skill multiplier * (1 + Potion effect) * (1 + Enchanter perk) * (1 + specific perk modifier)

So there is one modifier which is not calculating by game for my enchantment is (1 + specific perk modifier). Specific perk modifier is Insightful Enchanter perk under enchanting perk tree.

Solution is simple. In magic effect window there is keywords section. You have to add atleast one keyword for your magic effect. After that open Insightful Enchanter's perk window. Open perk entry which is already one in perk entries. In conditions section navigate to enchantment tab. Finally add your keyword exactly same as other keywords in that tab.

Edited by Gmaker369

So there is one modifier which is not calculating by game for my enchantment is (1 + specific perk modifier). Specific perk modifier is Insightful Enchanter perk under enchanting perk tree.

Solution is simple. In magic effect window there is keywords section. You have to add atleast one keyword for your magic effect. After that open Insightful Enchanter's perk window. Open perk entry which is already one in perk entries. In conditions section navigate to enchantment tab. Finally add your keyword exactly same as other keywords in that tab.

Yeeaaaah, probably don't edit the original perk, Insightful Enchanter in this case, I'd say just use one of the keywords it already has. Just to maintain compatibility.

Edited by Fantafaust

• 1 year later...

I'm stubborn. I kept fooling with this.

I figured out ... something. Not sure what, exactly, but I have a direction.

It's somehow related to cost calculations, I think.

I was trying to create 3 different combo enchantments: fire, frost, and shock each combined with a soul trap. I noticed that with a fixed soul trap duration, the shock would scale up, but not the fire or frost. I went digging through the magic effects, and the base cost for shock was 14, and fire and frost were both low, like 1.5 and 0.9 low. I created one-offs of all three magic effects and set the base costs to 7, 8, and 9, and now they all scale, even with soul trap on the same weapon.

I think if the calculated # of charges falls outside some "reasonable" range then it falls back to your hard-coded magnitude/duration values, and uses the base cost for the enchantment cost. This keeps you from creating a weapon with 2 charges or one with 64,000 charges (or whatever the more reasonable range is.)

Effect ordering and flags didn't seem to affect the outcome at all, except for the obvious result of turning off the "Power determines magnitude" flag.

Now that I've got my enchantments working in an acceptable fashion, I may come back and look at the math later to figure out more specific limitations. For now I'm posting this for posterity and so people (including me) can find it in the future.

Hello, to tag on to this idea a bit; I've been trying to figure out how the vanilla game determines the strength of a player made enchantment for a mod I'm working on. This formula you dug up looks like a start in the right direction, can you advise where you found it and it's additional context that explain those values?

Specifically what I'm looking to do with it have a script calculate the armor value of player made armor as if the player created it and tempered it taking all their Smithing, Alchemy, and Enchanting Perks and Skills into account for a summoned armor piece. So if they created a single Fortify Enchanting Potion used it to craft a single Fortify Smithing Enchantment and then tempered a piece of armor based on their skill what would the resulting armor value of the piece of armor be? I've found the corresponding equations for Smithing Tempering a piece of Armor and Alchemy making a Fortify Smithing Potion, but I can't find the equivolent forumula for determining the magnitude of a Fortify Smithing Enchantment based on your Enchanting Skill and Perks.

Any help in this respect would be appreciated...