Menu Mode Lag Paging System

lubronbrons

Well, I give +10000 to the idea of trying to find a way to speed up these menus. They're just painfully laggy, even when the inventory is small (e.g. accessing a new companion's inventory with only 5 things in it). By contrast, Morrowind's inventories were nearly instantaneous, even if there were thousands of items. As I was saying to lubronbrons in another thread, maybe this can be cached somehow (i.e., after loading it once, re-present the same data unless the contents of the inventory/container have changed). That wouldn't even be mutually exclusive with other ideas mentioned in this thread so far.

• 1 month later...

Well, I give +10000 to the idea of trying to find a way to speed up these menus. They're just painfully laggy, even when the inventory is small (e.g. accessing a new companion's inventory with only 5 things in it). By contrast, Morrowind's inventories were nearly instantaneous, even if there were thousands of items. As I was saying to lubronbrons in another thread, maybe this can be cached somehow (i.e., after loading it once, re-present the same data unless the contents of the inventory/container have changed). That wouldn't even be mutually exclusive with other ideas mentioned in this thread so far.

Interface-speed (menus, inventory) was horrible in my setup too.

The more items in my inventory, the bigger that lag-fest nightmare became.

But perhaps the next example is something to look into as a possible solution?

Perhaps you could reproduce the clearly noticed speed gain as was the case in my setup.

With Oblivion Stutter Remover installed,

even with the suggested .ini-tweaks from Bevilex,

I both have a very slow rendering map and inventory screen.

But even more awful: I could easily slowly count to 3 between clicking to sell one item from inventory,

before I get control back to sell the next item.

But after changing the next three settings in OSR-ini resulted in

instantly opening menus and selling items from inventory. (and kept my game stability):

Master
bReplaceRandom = 0; was 1
bExperimentalStuff = 1; was 0
and
Experimental
bReduceSleep = 1; was 0
---> Like below:

Master = {

_comment = You can turn on or off each distinct feature from here.
bManageFPS = 0;1 let my GPU be the only one to cap my fps
bHookCriticalSections = 1
bHookHashtables = 1
bReplaceHeap = 1
bReplaceGetTickCount = 1
bLogToConsole = 0
bFastExit = 1
bExtraProfiling = 0
bFlushLog = 1
iSchedulingResolution = 1
bReplaceRandom = 0;1 slows down inventory
bExperimentalStuff = 1;0 speeds up inventory
iMainHookPoint = 1
}
Experimental = {
_comment =bReduceSleep and iThreadsFixedToCPUs can probably reasonably be used at 1. > 1 is a bad idea atm.
_comment =other settings here youre probably better off not touching
bReduceSleep = 1;0
iThreadsFixedToCPUs = 1
Edited by Wiepman

Thanks Wiepman for sharing :)

well... did a fast test changed that 3 OSR settings in my setup

this is the result :

- map menu with tmm 1 : fast, the loading is very short. but I still not installed regional expanding mod, and I not using Darn UI map layout

- spell menu with psb : slow, and I not use Darn spell menu. it will be much slower for sure if I use Darn spell layout menu

- inventory with 300++ items : slow, and I not use Darn inventory menu. this is not good since I use inventory menu frequently

- barter menu with 300++ items : fast, but I not use Darn UI barter menu

conclusion : I revert back my OSR settings to my last settings, for stability reason, because the changes is not that effective for me

Thanks Wiepman for sharing :smile:

conclusion : I revert back my OSR settings to my last settings, for stability reason, because the changes is not that effective for me

I'm sorry lubronbrons that this tweak didn't work out as well as it does in my setup.

I use DarnUI with the classical-style menu active.

And as I mentioned for me these small changes in OSR were a game-changer,

as this solved my big problem with the very slow selling of items as well with slow opening of the menu itself.

Oh, and I run Oblivion under Linux (through wine),

so perhaps certain changes could have a different effect or gain then under Windows?