Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #58354171. #58361366 is also a reply to the same post.

leifyjai wrote:

I have a suggestion, if it's not already implemented -

The ability print, or output a text file, with the mod list and plugin list.

Overall, I'm very happy with Vortex. I was kind of new to modding, but jumped right in modding Skyrim SE with NMM and the S.E.P.T.I.M. guide, and worked my way up to a fairly stable build with over 200 mods by the time Vortex came out.

My experience with migrating to Vortex was very good. There were some snags, but most of them turned out to be problems I created in my NMM build (following instructions to modify files, then not saving them properly back into their respective mod archive files, for example). Several problems were also exposed and fixed during the migration to Vortex, mod conflicts I wasn't aware of, and stuff. So now I have Skyrim SE running flat-out stable with 292 mods!

My biggest concern now is, should I delete my old NMM SkyrimSE game folder and free up 180Gb or so on my SSD!? :smile:

That's a serious question, is there any reason to keep it? I don't want to find out, down the road, that the futture Beta or Stable version of Vortex isn't compatable with my current (Alpha based) Skyrim SE build.

Anyway, Tannin - THANK YOU!!! So much, for all your work. Awesome job man!! Many, many thanks to you and the whole crew at Nexus!

Leifyjai

sopmac45 wrote: I back you up on the the "ability to print" ... I already added this request into Vortex feedback function. We definitely need that.

What you need is a Junk drive. You can get a 1TB "old spinny type" hard drive for under $50 US. Just move stuff you might or might not need to it :) I keep a backup of all my Documents, Tax documents music and pictures, exc. on one as well and keep it on the shoe rack next to my front door, so that heaven forbid my house catches fire, I can grab it on the way out. I go through it about twice a year, deleting anything I dont need and re-backing up my files.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #58394901.

Daering wrote: Does anyone have X Rebirth installed and manage to make Vortex to work with that game? I have GOG version installed on C:\Games\X Rebirth (SSD and system disk), Vortex (default install) properly find game, it properly shows correct game path and mod folder, but that thing just refuse to deploy any mod in game directory. Installed mods just sits on Vortex \mods folder and thats all! I have tried every possible thing that cross my mind - clean install of the game first in the same install path then in every possible partition, clean default install on Vortex, then custom install on different path, default settings in Vortex, custom settings (different path for ...\download and ...\mods folders), simlink, hardlink.... but with no luck at all. There is no deploy function worked with Vortex and my X Rebirth. I tried Vortex with Witcher 3 and Dragon Age and it works fine with them. Meanwhile i have X rebirth mods managed by NMM with no problem. That old and ugly thing do its job just fine.

After 0.13.5 update Vortex start to give me error the moment when it finds game and i give him command to manage the game. And the error says something precisely about deployment, just i dont get what it is about. As you see, my english is not that good and reading strange readings with strange words and strange numbers is beyond my knowledge. :D Of course, i submit report with that error, hope it will be of any meaning and help the team to look after that error.

Short version: does anyone have problem with that specific game or with proper deployment specifically.

Sorry I cannot help you with that Daering but there are a couple of things I have noticed after the last update : unable to launch SKSE from Vortex and when I finish playing, Vortex does not respond to any clicking but after a couple of minutes, so I can log out properly. Before, those two things were not happening, at least in my case.
The SKSE part is happening to others as well ( based on posts ) but I do not know if the latter is just me. I am pretty sure is not my computer though. Everything else ( FNIS ), Nexus, etc closed instantly as soon as I click the exit or log out, but not Vortex. In reality, the situation with SKSE is not a major problem so I can launch it from my desktop icon but the latter, it is a pain in my ass to be waiting for Vortex a couple of minutes so I can log out. I hope this is fixed soon.

In response to post #58060001. #58061656, #58062601, #58080306, #58083731, #58087991, #58330871, #58349161, #58392601, #58404976 are all replies on the same post.

mcdanielskh wrote: Does any know the answer to the following:
In Old Skyrim (32bit) we were limited to 255 plugins because 255 =FF in Hex and 32 bit programs can only access 2 hex registers (FF) (or something like that). If that's correct (or closely correct lol :) )does anybody out there know if Skyrim SE being 64 bit = FFFF (vs FF) = 65535 plugins, and what will Vortex mod limits be in this case?
Ethreon wrote: That is not correct. Nothing changed about plugin limit.
mcdanielskh wrote: :( but thanks for the reply. Do you know why not or why i'm an in error in this thought?
Ethreon wrote: You're in error because it didn't change. For more information you'll have to find the actual reason this is a thing.
DFX2K9 wrote: The reason that didn't change is because Bethesda changed as little as possible when they ported Skyrim over to 64 bits. For the most part, only the memory management and rendering pipelines where changed. I don't even think Papyrus has access to more memory.
mcdanielskh wrote: Ethreon thanks and DFX2K9 thanks for the more detailed response that I can now understand.
So, it is unfortunate, that the entire code in not running at 64 bit.
Oh well, the biggest problem was the limited memory availability, and at least that and the rendering pipelines have been brought into the realm of modern computing for this decade :)
xrayy wrote: the memory problem in oldrim is already solved with enb memory hack at least for me. and plugin limit is still 254 in sse ? one more reason to stick with mo and oldrim.
mcdanielskh wrote: IMO there are more reasons to use Vortex and Skyrim SE and those reasons will only increase but the reasons to use Old Skyrim and MO will only become less and less with each passing week. Time to smell the wind of change my friend :) Oh, but you do. Thats why your here trying to convince yourself why you shouldn't be :)
xrayy wrote: i'm relaxed on this topic. and the discussion about which combination is better is a silly one. sse and vortex will be a good and valuable combination, i'm sure! vortex will become (at least in plain numbers) the superior organizer with the advantage to be universal.
sse is an option for new gamers and people who like vanilla versions or not interested in knowing how to configure a stable but beautiful oldrim with mo and nearly unlimited options to mod the game (including the risk of destabilizing it). simply compare the images on nexus and the amount of available mods to get an impression of the capabilities of both versions.
the sse 64 bit advantage is practically marginal and leads also to some disadvantages while the most annoying oldrim problem - it's 32bit related disadvantage, the 4GB memory limiation - is already practically solved with enb mem hack.
for skyrim players with a heavily modded stable and performant oldrim game sse is simply a mild but clear disappointment or step back, not mentioning the amount of work and time to port all mods (5 to 10% are ported to sse) while maintaining comparable stability and compatibility. the still existing mod number limitation is only one of the disappointments, the lack of full oldrim mod compatibility another. i fully understand newbies, not interested in trying any of the best oldrim and not sse compatible mods, to start with sse and vortex. they will never miss what others discovered, liked and will not miss in future. in my point of view vanilla skyrim is a kind of nice and buggy rpg. the opportunity to apply all the lovely nexus mods and to combine them makes it the unique gem at least for me while not having any complains in terms of stability. the stability discussion in most threads is in my eyes misleading because it does not take in account the number of applied mods and the quality of the applied mods and the inability of many people to cope with it and to sort out the buggy ones. mo works 99.9% errorfree. vortex will do it too. use what you want and what you like. oldrim will work errorfree with both (i suppose) if you know how to configure it. it is simply a matter of taste and your personal skills how to configure a system and a game like skyrim and if you know your abilities i'm sure you will be happy with all available and compatible combinations of game and organizer. apart from that i wish tannin and the nexus team all the best to make vortex the superior universal organizer as mo already is for oldrim and oblivion. vortex in a more advanced stage will replace mo, no doubt about that.
mcdanielskh wrote: Well, for the most part I agree with you xrayy. I was and I still am a huge Fan of MO. At one time I was running well over 400 mods on oldrim with a little help from wrye bash, and I still use MO for my Enderal oldrim game, which is running about 200 mods. Many of these mod are not even supposed to work with Enderal, but I made them work :) So I am no amature here :) , and I'm sure there are plenty of "PRO's" that have also made the switch to Vortex at least for SE so I dont think its fair even at this early stage of development to characterize Vortex as being for amateurs. Other the the ability to select mod overwrites at the file level, (which , believe me I have complained about and see as a terrible shortfall that I hope will be rectified soon, at least in advanced mode) Vortex is every bit as powerful of a tool as MO is.
Additionally, anyone that has not had at least one or two problems with the VFS used im MO causing improper installation of mods, or problems with tools and/or Patch mods not being able to properly work for the same reason, has not used MO to its limits and does not know there is this limitation with MO that Vortex was designed from the start to overcome. Nevertheless, I do agree with you for the most part, and I think you have already said you realize that Vortex will overtake MO as the number 1 Mod Manager for most people. However, I say that Vortex is a great tool for everyone not just amateurs, and at some point even the people that are hardened against change will come to realize that Vortex is (or soon will be) the better tool. On the other hand, If you have a build using MO running smooth, that's awesome. Game with that bro, I do. However, why not give Vortex a go on a new build, especially an SE build as there are limited mods (at the moment) available compared to Oldrin anyway. Game with Oldrin and MO, while building a new mod load with Vortex and SE. Absolutely, no problem with one interfering with the other this way as well :) I also think that soon there will be more people modding SE then Oldrin, and 5 years from now, SE will have more and better mods then oldrim ever had, and Vortex will be developed to a point far exceeding what was capable with MO.

sorry, i don't want to degrade pro's or vortex users to amteures, just want to say that if you already have played a beautiful modded oldrim - even as a modder - you can imagine how much work it will be (if ever possible) to port a modded stable le setup with 250 esp and 500 texture or other sort of mods to a new se setup using an alpha organizer software even if it is close to be perfectly stable. thanks and kudos to every pro who trys to support and tests the vortex platform while being aware of this more than tiny challenge.
one thing to mo V1.311. i've never encountered any mo related limitation with skyrim le even with 254 esp installed and additionally hundreds of esp free mods. any single ctd and problem i encontered was a mod bug, conflict related or my own configuration mistake. even tes5all, tes5edit and fnis work glich free with mo. for the people who encounter microstutter while gaming i could give an advice that works 100% for me with capable hardware (minimum 980m gtx, 6GB better 8GB Vram, 16GB ram and i7 3Ghz, for le: win 7 64bit and avoid graphic cards with divided memory bandwidth like 970gtx with 4GB): unpack all bsa's including the vanilla ones, use a ssd, deactivate all not game relevant 32bit system tasks including antivirus and homecalling driver addons and i guarantee all microstutter will be history. this will work also with sse and vortex, you just don't have to kill the 32bit tasks to free memory. if your hardware is gsync or freesync capable even a heavily modded game should run smooth ;) Edited by xrayy

In response to post #58060001. #58061656, #58062601, #58080306, #58083731, #58087991, #58330871, #58349161, #58392601, #58404976, #58419261 are all replies on the same post.

In Old Skyrim (32bit) we were limited to 255 plugins because 255 =FF in Hex and 32 bit programs can only access 2 hex registers (FF) (or something like that). If that's correct (or closely correct lol :) )does anybody out there know if Skyrim SE being 64 bit = FFFF (vs FF) = 65535 plugins, and what will Vortex mod limits be in this case?
mcdanielskh wrote: :( but thanks for the reply. Do you know why not or why i'm an in error in this thought?
Ethreon wrote: You're in error because it didn't change. For more information you'll have to find the actual reason this is a thing.
DFX2K9 wrote: The reason that didn't change is because Bethesda changed as little as possible when they ported Skyrim over to 64 bits. For the most part, only the memory management and rendering pipelines where changed. I don't even think Papyrus has access to more memory.
mcdanielskh wrote: Ethreon thanks and DFX2K9 thanks for the more detailed response that I can now understand.
Oh well, the biggest problem was the limited memory availability, and at least that and the rendering pipelines have been brought into the realm of modern computing for this decade :)
xrayy wrote: the memory problem in oldrim is already solved with enb memory hack at least for me. and plugin limit is still 254 in sse ? one more reason to stick with mo and oldrim.
mcdanielskh wrote: IMO there are more reasons to use Vortex and Skyrim SE and those reasons will only increase but the reasons to use Old Skyrim and MO will only become less and less with each passing week. Time to smell the wind of change my friend :) Oh, but you do. Thats why your here trying to convince yourself why you shouldn't be :)
xrayy wrote: i'm relaxed on this topic. and the discussion about which combination is better is a silly one. sse and vortex will be a good and valuable combination, i'm sure! vortex will become (at least in plain numbers) the superior organizer with the advantage to be universal.
sse is an option for new gamers and people who like vanilla versions or not interested in knowing how to configure a stable but beautiful oldrim with mo and nearly unlimited options to mod the game (including the risk of destabilizing it). simply compare the images on nexus and the amount of available mods to get an impression of the capabilities of both versions.
the sse 64 bit advantage is practically marginal and leads also to some disadvantages while the most annoying oldrim problem - it's 32bit related disadvantage, the 4GB memory limiation - is already practically solved with enb mem hack.
for skyrim players with a heavily modded stable and performant oldrim game sse is simply a mild but clear disappointment or step back, not mentioning the amount of work and time to port all mods (5 to 10% are ported to sse) while maintaining comparable stability and compatibility. the still existing mod number limitation is only one of the disappointments, the lack of full oldrim mod compatibility another. i fully understand newbies, not interested in trying any of the best oldrim and not sse compatible mods, to start with sse and vortex. they will never miss what others discovered, liked and will not miss in future. in my point of view vanilla skyrim is a kind of nice and buggy rpg. the opportunity to apply all the lovely nexus mods and to combine them makes it the unique gem at least for me while not having any complains in terms of stability. the stability discussion in most threads is in my eyes misleading because it does not take in account the number of applied mods and the quality of the applied mods and the inability of many people to cope with it and to sort out the buggy ones. mo works 99.9% errorfree. vortex will do it too. use what you want and what you like. oldrim will work errorfree with both (i suppose) if you know how to configure it. it is simply a matter of taste and your personal skills how to configure a system and a game like skyrim and if you know your abilities i'm sure you will be happy with all available and compatible combinations of game and organizer. apart from that i wish tannin and the nexus team all the best to make vortex the superior universal organizer as mo already is for oldrim and oblivion. vortex in a more advanced stage will replace mo, no doubt about that.
mcdanielskh wrote: Well, for the most part I agree with you xrayy. I was and I still am a huge Fan of MO. At one time I was running well over 400 mods on oldrim with a little help from wrye bash, and I still use MO for my Enderal oldrim game, which is running about 200 mods. Many of these mod are not even supposed to work with Enderal, but I made them work :) So I am no amature here :) , and I'm sure there are plenty of "PRO's" that have also made the switch to Vortex at least for SE so I dont think its fair even at this early stage of development to characterize Vortex as being for amateurs. Other the the ability to select mod overwrites at the file level, (which , believe me I have complained about and see as a terrible shortfall that I hope will be rectified soon, at least in advanced mode) Vortex is every bit as powerful of a tool as MO is.
Additionally, anyone that has not had at least one or two problems with the VFS used im MO causing improper installation of mods, or problems with tools and/or Patch mods not being able to properly work for the same reason, has not used MO to its limits and does not know there is this limitation with MO that Vortex was designed from the start to overcome. Nevertheless, I do agree with you for the most part, and I think you have already said you realize that Vortex will overtake MO as the number 1 Mod Manager for most people. However, I say that Vortex is a great tool for everyone not just amateurs, and at some point even the people that are hardened against change will come to realize that Vortex is (or soon will be) the better tool. On the other hand, If you have a build using MO running smooth, that's awesome. Game with that bro, I do. However, why not give Vortex a go on a new build, especially an SE build as there are limited mods (at the moment) available compared to Oldrin anyway. Game with Oldrin and MO, while building a new mod load with Vortex and SE. Absolutely, no problem with one interfering with the other this way as well :) I also think that soon there will be more people modding SE then Oldrin, and 5 years from now, SE will have more and better mods then oldrim ever had, and Vortex will be developed to a point far exceeding what was capable with MO.
xrayy wrote: sorry, i don't want to degrade pro's or vortex users to amteures, just want to say that if you already have played a beautiful modded oldrim - even as a modder - you can imagine how much work it will be (if ever possible) to port a modded stable le setup with 250 esp and 500 texture or other sort of mods to a new se setup using an alpha organizer software even if it is close to be perfectly stable. thanks and kudos to every pro who trys to support and tests the vortex platform while being aware of this more than tiny challenge.
one thing to mo V1.311. i've never encountered any mo related limitation with skyrim le even with 254 esp installed and additionally hundreds of esp free mods. any single ctd and problem i encontered was a mod bug, conflict related or my own configuration mistake. even tes5all, tes5edit and fnis work glich free with mo. for the people who encounter microstutter while gaming i could give an advice that works 100% for me with capable hardware (minimum 980m gtx, 6GB better 8GB Vram, 16GB ram and i7 3Ghz, for le: win 7 64bit and avoid graphic cards with divided memory bandwidth like 970gtx with 4GB): unpack all bsa's including the vanilla ones, use a ssd, deactivate all not game relevant 32bit system tasks including antivirus and homecalling driver addons and i guarantee all microstutter will be history. this will work also with sse and vortex, you just don't have to kill the 32bit tasks to free memory. if your hardware is gsync or freesync capable even a heavily modded game should run smooth ;)

xrayy,

That's good advise about the micro stutter issue. I had problems with that at one time. In my case it was a Vsync issue an was not at all MO related :) in fact I think a lot of blame was placed on MO for a mariod of user errors. I also agree about using and SSD or two :) , especially when running a lot of high resolution textures. Additionally, I had/have been able to work thru most problems related to the VFS that MO uses because I understand what it's doing, therefore its only really a inconvenience not really a limitation, so you're right. MO and Vortex are both great tools and there is no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water (or throw away the champion because you don't like the cork idiom) so to speak for either tool. Good discussion. Edited by mcdanielskh

In response to post #58060001. #58061656, #58062601, #58080306, #58083731, #58087991, #58330871, #58349161, #58392601, #58404976, #58419261, #58426026 are all replies on the same post.

xrayy wrote: sorry, i don't want to degrade pro's or vortex users to amteures, just want to say that if you already have played a beautiful modded oldrim - even as a modder - you can imagine how much work it will be (if ever possible) to port a modded stable le setup with 250 esp and 500 texture or other sort of mods to a new se setup using an alpha organizer software even if it is close to be perfectly stable. thanks and kudos to every pro who trys to support and tests the vortex platform while being aware of this more than tiny challenge.
one thing to mo V1.311. i've never encountered any mo related limitation with skyrim le even with 254 esp installed and additionally hundreds of esp free mods. any single ctd and problem i encontered was a mod bug, conflict related or my own configuration mistake. even tes5all, tes5edit and fnis work glich free with mo. for the people who encounter microstutter while gaming i could give an advice that works 100% for me with capable hardware (minimum 980m gtx, 6GB better 8GB Vram, 16GB ram and i7 3Ghz, for le: win 7 64bit and avoid graphic cards with divided memory bandwidth like 970gtx with 4GB): unpack all bsa's including the vanilla ones, use a ssd, deactivate all not game relevant 32bit system tasks including antivirus and homecalling driver addons and i guarantee all microstutter will be history. this will work also with sse and vortex, you just don't have to kill the 32bit tasks to free memory. if your hardware is gsync or freesync capable even a heavily modded game should run smooth ;)
mcdanielskh wrote: xrayy,

That's good advise about the micro stutter issue. I had problems with that at one time. In my case it was a Vsync issue an was not at all MO related :) in fact I think a lot of blame was placed on MO for a mariod of user errors. I also agree about using and SSD or two :) , especially when running a lot of high resolution textures. Additionally, I had/have been able to work thru most problems related to the VFS that MO uses because I understand what it's doing, therefore its only really a inconvenience not really a limitation, so you're right. MO and Vortex are both great tools and there is no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water (or throw away the champion because you don't like the cork idiom) so to speak for either tool. Good discussion.

You make it sound like I can use vortex for skyrim 32. Can I not? Or did I interpret that wrong? I don't have my laptop I was using for skyrim but I just built my first gaming desktop and waiting to get internet at home(i just need to stand the pole and have someone dumb enough to put the Sat on top) so I don't even have old skyrim or is the concern with migrating to the new mod manager?

Have been using Vortex to reinstall FO4 after major computer crash and replacement. Have been very happy with it but have run into a couple of problems. The first and want appears to be rather important is my DLC files appear to to have a dependency issue. DLCWorkshop01 has loaded last throwing all except DLCRobot into a red warning sign. There does not appear to be anyway to manually reset these and LOOT does not do it either. Using red warning to reset user-list rule has no effect. Also, today for the first time I am getting LOOT cleaning symbols on these DLC that weren't there before.

Also, when I installed the BodySlide mod through Vortex it installed just fine, but for some reason when using this mod the texture files appear not to be recognized by the program and you get the "no image" body in the preview screen of BodySlide. I can see all of the .dds files in the texture folder, but they are showing up in BodySlide. Set up the BodySlide tool in Vortex and it too worked just fine except for the texture problem. Again I have enjoyed the ease of use of Vortex and hope it continues to improve and expand. Know there's always problem in new software development, just wanted to let you know what I have experienced to date. Anyone out there have ideas on how I can resolve these problems, would appreciate the info...thanks

In response to post #58060001. #58061656, #58062601, #58080306, #58083731, #58087991, #58330871, #58349161, #58392601, #58404976, #58419261, #58426026, #58492336 are all replies on the same post.

mcdanielskh wrote: xrayy,

That's good advise about the micro stutter issue. I had problems with that at one time. In my case it was a Vsync issue an was not at all MO related :) in fact I think a lot of blame was placed on MO for a mariod of user errors. I also agree about using and SSD or two :) , especially when running a lot of high resolution textures. Additionally, I had/have been able to work thru most problems related to the VFS that MO uses because I understand what it's doing, therefore its only really a inconvenience not really a limitation, so you're right. MO and Vortex are both great tools and there is no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water (or throw away the champion because you don't like the cork idiom) so to speak for either tool. Good discussion.
ExelArts wrote: You make it sound like I can use vortex for skyrim 32. Can I not? Or did I interpret that wrong? I don't have my laptop I was using for skyrim but I just built my first gaming desktop and waiting to get internet at home(i just need to stand the pole and have someone dumb enough to put the Sat on top) so I don't even have old skyrim or is the concern with migrating to the new mod manager?

No, I am not saying or implying that you cannot or should not use Vortex for Skyrim (Oldrin). I was simply agreeing with xrayy that if someone has already invested a lot of energy into his Oldrin setup with MO and it runs stable then stick with that. However, if you are just getting started with Skyrim SE (or any other game officially supported by Vortex including Oldrun); they should give Vortex a try. For me personally having Enderal modded Oldrun running stable on MO and using Vortex on Skyrim SE happens to work really well in that there are no Mod manager mod folder control issues or mod download control related issues because Odrun and Skyrim SE are separate games on Steam :)

If I was just getting started as you are I would use Vortex and Skyrim SE. However, you could also run SE on MO or Oldrin on MO or Oldrin on Vortex :) I just think that you will spend more time enjoying modding and playing Skyrim using Vortex and Skyrim SE.
If you like making things more difficult then, feel free to join the die hards (myself included at least for Enderal Oldrin) modding Oldrin with MO but look forward to a lot of unstable gaming and save games that just will not load after spending months playing. Of course, those type of problems are avoidable if you know what your doing, but you don't yet. Or you can also avoid a lot of problems by using Vortex and SE as I advised, because SE is a hell of a lot more stable and with Vortex there is a lot less that can go wrong in the process it uses to install mods. Many will rightly point out how many more mods there is for Ordrin and that ENB for SE is not yet as good. For many the lack of hdt body physics in SE is a deal breaker. However, you have so much to learn and there are so many mods available even for SE, that you have plenty to do for awhile. By the time your ready for such things they will probably exist in SE anyway. I predict that within 2 years all the great mods of oldrim will exist in SE as well or something even better in its place :) Edited by mcdanielskh

In response to post #58431326.

Vanguarde2017 wrote:

When Vortex is done, will Nexus start charging for it?

How are the people developing it getting paid?

Nexus pays for it's site via the ad revenue.

It's one of the reasons that I pay for premium access when I know I need to download a ton of mods (like I just did with Skyrim and Fallout for the new PC), because they don't make anything otherwise.

I've been using it exclusively for a Fallout 4 and Skyrim install.

It is still quite the bug fest and not at all intuitive to me yet, but I see a lot of promise here. The abiility to sort out load order conflicts a la MO is brilliant. Though it doesn't change the name of the mod files to match the name of the mod yet, and other little things.

My only real issue was it failing on downloads constantly. other then that it's been pretty great.