Vortex Alpha Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #59954856. #60237321 is also a reply to the same post.

TheInquizitor wrote: Oh god, it's so very bad. Just looking at it is a headache. There's animations for no reason on s*** that should be a right-click menu. There's notifications that pop up. It's infuriating. Make it function like Mod Organizer where you have to click on the notifications for them to show. And why the hell is there a "dashboard?" Nothing is right. It's so incredibly bad. And there's no lines or color differences to separate lines of mods. And why is everything separated by tabs? Why can't we just have one window with multiple panes like in Mod Organizer? Who thought this was a good idea? Who thought any of this looked or felt good?

Speaking of terrible design, why is there still no separate "updates" page for the new website? A dropdown menu for 841 updates isn't very useful. And why can't I block updates for images that authors I follow upload?
Purgey wrote: Winge, winge, winge.

Didn't care for it either. I certainly do not like the steam client interface and Vortex is trying to be just like it, not good for me. There is far to much crap in the way. Sure I suppose most of it can be disabled, or at least hidden. But really, all I want a mod manager to do is manage mods. The rest of the stuff in Vortex is useless fluff AFAIAC. Frankly I sorely miss Tannin on Mod Organizer. Can't fault him though, money is money. The last thing I want is a steam-a-fied mod organizer. Edited by anvilton

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vortex is a non-working program from the start! NMM worked fine and now is going to be not supported forcing Moders to use Vortex. Vortex corrupted all mods in an attempt to transfer from NMM to Vortex. After 3 reinstalls, vortex will not drop the errors that have made vortex unusable!

In response to post #59954856. #60237321, #60261261 are all replies on the same post.

TheInquizitor wrote: Oh god, it's so very bad. Just looking at it is a headache. There's animations for no reason on s*** that should be a right-click menu. There's notifications that pop up. It's infuriating. Make it function like Mod Organizer where you have to click on the notifications for them to show. And why the hell is there a "dashboard?" Nothing is right. It's so incredibly bad. And there's no lines or color differences to separate lines of mods. And why is everything separated by tabs? Why can't we just have one window with multiple panes like in Mod Organizer? Who thought this was a good idea? Who thought any of this looked or felt good?

Speaking of terrible design, why is there still no separate "updates" page for the new website? A dropdown menu for 841 updates isn't very useful. And why can't I block updates for images that authors I follow upload?
Purgey wrote: Winge, winge, winge.
anvilton wrote: Didn't care for it either. I certainly do not like the steam client interface and Vortex is trying to be just like it, not good for me. There is far to much crap in the way. Sure I suppose most of it can be disabled, or at least hidden. But really, all I want a mod manager to do is manage mods. The rest of the stuff in Vortex is useless fluff AFAIAC. Frankly I sorely miss Tannin on Mod Organizer. Can't fault him though, money is money. The last thing I want is a steam-a-fied mod organizer.

NMM was good, it worked. Vortex killed all my mods and corrupted my saved games. Vortex just does not work and the interface is terrible!

In response to post #60256451. #60259951 is also a reply to the same post.

MyridonT wrote: Well Well well, It seams over all it is about 50/50 for those who like or don't VORTEX. personally I like it. Just for the Fact that it really helps with the load order WAY Better than Loot or NNM. I like to call out for cycle-lit redundancy and the Master to dependency. These are all things I have had problem with in the past.
The 2 issue I have with Vortex is the view. I would like to control the size of the window with in each screen So things fit better.
And I am still having problems launching my games thru VORTEX. All and All I LIKE IT. Keep up the good work.

As to the slowness of the program. I really don't see it. And for those that complain about it and are on WINDOWS 10, your issue is not Vortex it is CORTANA!!!!! This Windows 10 program tries to in-bead itself into every program you have installed. When I ran Win10, Cortana use almost 48% of the MEM resources. Oh and good luck trying to shut cortana down. It is in over 120 locations with in the registry. And if you miss just 1 when ever you do an update it will reinstall. :( :P.
Augusta Calidia wrote: In regard to Vortex, I share your enthusiasm for it. I've been using Vortex for about a month and a half and have not encountered any serious problems. For me, its most attractive feature is how Vortex manages mod dependencies. Also, I find the program to be fast and responsive, especially in switching from one game profile to another.

In regard to Cortana in Windows 10 Pro, you can permanently disable Cortana in the Local Group Policy Editor. This, of course, does not uninstall the program, but it does prevent Cortana from hogging resources and butting in on your computer activities. Once it's been permanently disabled, it will not be re-enabled even when there are feature updates. As for Windows 10 Home, the same thing can be accomplished through a registry edit. However, this is a dangerous undertaking if you don't know what you're doing.

I am happy for the 50% who can get this piece of crud to work!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with this for the past week and have installed ninety mods on top of the textures listed in Step 1 Textures Optimization of "Fallout 4 Mod List and Load Order Guide (BiRaitBec Modlist)" which were already packed as .ba2 files. Everything seems to work as it says on the Vortex packet with no problems so far.

One little niggle is that I can't seem to find a way to search the mod list for something like "better" or "CBBE". It's a real pain going through the entire list to find something I can't remember the exact name for.

EDIT-SOLVED - need to go to SETTINGS and set "Enable advanced mode“ to get a search box in the header row.

Edited by BeloopCeda

In response to post #60584067.

BeloopCeda wrote: I've been playing with this for the past week and have installed ninety mods on top of the textures listed in Step 1 Textures Optimization of "Fallout 4 Mod List and Load Order Guide (BiRaitBec Modlist)" which were already packed as .ba2 files. Everything seems to work as it says on the Vortex packet with no problems so far.

One little niggle is that I can't seem to find a way to search the mod list for something like "better" or "CBBE". It's a real pain going through the entire list to find something I can't remember the exact name for.

+1

That's a feature I REALLY REALLY LOVE and use a LOT in NMM, because trying to find one mod in a huge list can be daunting, so it was really nice to be able to start typing in the name of the mod and have the mod list automatically reduce itself the more letters you typed in, until it zeroed in on the mod you were trying to find.

In response to post #60584067. #60623462 is also a reply to the same post.

BeloopCeda wrote: I've been playing with this for the past week and have installed ninety mods on top of the textures listed in Step 1 Textures Optimization of "Fallout 4 Mod List and Load Order Guide (BiRaitBec Modlist)" which were already packed as .ba2 files. Everything seems to work as it says on the Vortex packet with no problems so far.

HadToRegister wrote: +1

That's a feature I REALLY REALLY LOVE and use a LOT in NMM, because trying to find one mod in a huge list can be daunting, so it was really nice to be able to start typing in the name of the mod and have the mod list automatically reduce itself the more letters you typed in, until it zeroed in on the mod you were trying to find.

In Vortex use the Mod Name search box at the top of the Mods page. For example, type in "better" or "CBBE" to find mods with those words or abbreviations in their titles. If you know the full name of the mod, you can type that in to move quickly to that one particular mod. Since I never did use the mod search function in NMM, I don't know if the search function in Vortex is as refined as that in NMM. However, the Vortex search function is adequate enough for me to find mods pretty quickly. Edited by Augusta Calidia

In response to post #60584067. #60623462, #60631452 are all replies on the same post.

Augusta Calidia wrote: In Vortex use the Mod Name search box at the top of the Mods page. For example, type in "better" or "CBBE" to find mods with those words or abbreviations in their titles. If you know the full name of the mod, you can type that in to move quickly to that one particular mod. Since I never did use the mod search function in NMM, I don't know if the search function in Vortex is as refined as that in NMM. However, the Vortex search function is adequate enough for me to find mods pretty quickly.

Okay got it now. You first need to go to SETTINGS and set "Enable advanced mode“. Then you get a search box in the header row of the MODS screen.

In response to post #60584067. #60623462, #60631452, #60637642 are all replies on the same post.

EDIT-SOLVED - need to go to SETTINGS and set "Enable advanced mode“ to get a search box in the header row.

Augusta Calidia wrote: In Vortex use the Mod Name search box at the top of the Mods page. For example, type in "better" or "CBBE" to find mods with those words or abbreviations in their titles. If you know the full name of the mod, you can type that in to move quickly to that one particular mod. Since I never did use the mod search function in NMM, I don't know if the search function in Vortex is as refined as that in NMM. However, the Vortex search function is adequate enough for me to find mods pretty quickly.
BeloopCeda wrote: Okay got it now. You first need to go to SETTINGS and set "Enable advanced mode“. Then you get a search box in the header row of the MODS screen.

@BeloopCeda. I'm glad that the search feature is working for you. And thank you for making me aware that the mod name search box is not activated until advanced mode is selected. I did not know that. When I installed Vortex a couple of months ago, I immediately activated all the advanced mode features before I ever did anything else, not realizing that those features included the mod search box. Edited by Augusta Calidia