Vortex and SKSE64

schradeunderscore

On your Dashboard it should have buttons to launch all the common tools, so there is a button to launch Skyrim Special Edition, Loot, SSEEdit, FNIS, WryeBash and SKSE64, you just need to edit the buttons to point to the correct executable for that item wherever it is installed. Then much like in Nexus Mod Manager or Mod Organizer when you want to launch your game with SKSE64 you use that button instead of the normal Skyrim one.

Two things you should also know:

1. You don't actually have to launch through Vortex because it is using hardlinks

2. If you click the 3 little dots next to the run button on SKSE64, and click "make primary", the SSE run button on the top of Vortex will run SKSE.

I presume that setting up SKSE64 with Vortex is essentially similar to setting up SKSE with NMM and MO, i.e. copy the SKSE executables into the Skyrim SE game folder, and then packaging up the scripts into a "mod" that Vortex can install. Is that correct, or is there a way to make Vortex handle the entire process?

I presume that setting up SKSE64 with Vortex is essentially similar to setting up SKSE with NMM and MO, i.e. copy the SKSE executables into the Skyrim SE game folder, and then packaging up the scripts into a "mod" that Vortex can install. Is that correct, or is there a way to make Vortex handle the entire process?

Correct, for now (at least when I tried it). There's no reason it can't be extended since Vortex will allow files to be installed in to the game directory such as ENBs. Sounds like a good feature request.

iirc tannin mentioned there exists support for enb stuff and the like, but it's currently disabled due to wonky autodetection.

i've already suggested the ability to let people choose to install mods to skyrim's root folder by not relying on autodetection but by tagging/options as an additional feature, but i dunno if tannin got that onto his to-do list

Correct, for now (at least when I tried it). There's no reason it can't be extended since Vortex will allow files to be installed in to the game directory such as ENBs. Sounds like a good feature request.

Thanks for the confirmation. For SKSE, this is not a problem for me, as I never intend to ever run a Bethesda game again without the appropriate version of a script extender installed. I might possibly make an exception for TES: VI when/if it comes out, but even there, I'm likely to delay buying it long enough that there will be an SKSE version by the time I do so. :smile:

I can definitely see where it would be handy for things like ENBs. Though I've never used any myself, I've seen some examples of well done set ups, and might consider it if Vortex were able to better automate the entire process.

1. You don't actually have to launch through Vortex because it is using hardlinks

2. If you click the 3 little dots next to the run button on SKSE64, and click "make primary", the SSE run button on the top of Vortex will run SKSE.

No it does not. I tried it and it was giving me an error. I am running SKSE outside Vortex. At least it is not working for me. I have tried but it does not find SKSE and I do know it is there because I am able to launch my game via SKSE icon located in my desktop.

If somebody would like to help me and tell me exactly what to do to fix it, in advance, I thank you for your help. :cool:

No it does not. I tried it and it was giving me an error. I am running SKSE outside Vortex. At least it is not working for me. I have tried but it does not find SKSE and I do know it is there because I am able to launch my game via SKSE icon located in my desktop.

If somebody would like to help me and tell me exactly what to do to fix it, in advance, I thank you for your help. :cool:

So I had a similar problem and I don't know if it is happening to you the same way but when I installed SKSE64 like a mod it would use the location of skse that was in the mods folder and not the directory. I actually had to move skse to the directory and then redirect the skse tab on the dash.