Vortex and SKSE64

schradeunderscore

Two things you should also know:

1. You don't actually have to launch through Vortex because it is using hardlinks

2. If you click the 3 little dots next to the run button on SKSE64, and click "make primary", the SSE run button on the top of Vortex will run SKSE.

No it does not. I tried it and it was giving me an error. I am running SKSE outside Vortex. At least it is not working for me. I have tried but it does not find SKSE and I do know it is there because I am able to launch my game via SKSE icon located in my desktop.

If somebody would like to help me and tell me exactly what to do to fix it, in advance, I thank you for your help. :cool:

So I had a similar problem and I don't know if it is happening to you the same way but when I installed SKSE64 like a mod it would use the location of skse that was in the mods folder and not the directory. I actually had to move skse to the directory and then redirect the skse tab on the dash.

I do believe you Carminecpeland and I would appreciate if you point me in the right direction. Right now I am confused with the window : it has Target and Start in .... what is the difference ? SKSE is located in : C:\Programs86\Steam\Steamapps\Common\SkyrimSE ... it is there and I can launch my game outside Vortex by clicking on Run as administrator, but I do not know what else I need to do to make it work directly from Vortex. FNIS and LOOT were added automatically and I do not have any problem with those but SKSE, is giving me a headache. Thanks in advance

I do believe you Carminecpeland and I would appreciate if you point me in the right direction. Right now I am confused with the window : it has Target and Start in .... what is the difference ? SKSE is located in : C:\Programs86\Steam\Steamapps\Common\SkyrimSE ... it is there and I can launch my game outside Vortex by clicking on Run as administrator, but I do not know what else I need to do to make it work directly from Vortex. FNIS and LOOT were added automatically and I do not have any problem with those but SKSE, is giving me a headache. Thanks in advance

I am using Vortex for Fallout 4, but still: Target: where the file to be run is situated in reality (ignoring hardlinks). Start in: where the file should start looking for other files (the game installation folder, or Data folder).

In Fallout 4, the SKSE64 variant is called F4SE. Target is D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\f4se_loader.exe, Start in is D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\\. Just to see the difference, I also add my BodySlide tool settings: Target=D:\Vortex\fallout4\mods\BodySlide and Outfit Studio - v4.4.2-25-4-4-2\Tools\BodySlide\BodySlide x64.exe, Start in=D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Tools\BodySlide.

Does that help you a bit?

I am using Vortex for Fallout 4, but still: Target: where the file to be run is situated in reality (ignoring hardlinks). Start in: where the file should start looking for other files (the game installation folder, or Data folder).

In Fallout 4, the SKSE64 variant is called F4SE. Target is D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\f4se_loader.exe, Start in is D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\\. Just to see the difference, I also add my BodySlide tool settings: Target=D:\Vortex\fallout4\mods\BodySlide and Outfit Studio - v4.4.2-25-4-4-2\Tools\BodySlide\BodySlide x64.exe, Start in=D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Tools\BodySlide.

Does that help you a bit?

Hi J.O.D. ... I do have it setup exactly as you suggested and still I am getting the below error message :

> Launching C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\\SkyrimSE.exe failed (740). Please try running skse64_loader as an administrator

I do not know why is returning an error when I am able to properly launch my game via skse64 from my icon located in my desktop. Do you have any other suggestion J.O.D. ? Thanks in advance. :geek:

> Launching C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\\SkyrimSE.exe failed (740). Please try running skse64_loader as an administrator

Error 740 means the process requires elevated privileges to launch. I believe this is one of the reasons it is suggested to change your Steam defaults and never install games that you intend to mod in "Program Files". Change the default to C:\Games or something.

Possible workaround: Try locating the skse_loader in file explorer, right click -> Properties, Compatibility tab, Run as Administrator near the bottom.

Error 740 means the process requires elevated privileges to launch. I believe this is one of the reasons it is suggested to change your Steam defaults and never install games that you intend to mod in "Program Files". Change the default to C:\Games or something.

Possible workaround: Try locating the skse_loader in file explorer, right click -> Properties, Compatibility tab, Run as Administrator near the bottom.

Thanks for that simsrw73, I appreciate your help and what you suggested is something I did not know to be honest ... well, all my games have been installed in the same path, all the time since I am playing in PC and never had any problem.

At this point, I would have to delete everything and reinstall everything in the C:\ drive skipping Program Files(x86) just to make skse64 works as intended via Vortex ... ? I do not think so !

When I click on Open File location ( on my skse64 icon located in my desktop ), skse64 is located in C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\skse64_loader.exe .......

Do not have any problem running my game as an administrator via skse64 icon located in my desktop.

I guess that in the future, if I reinstall Skyrim again, I will tell Steam not to install it in Program Files(x86). :cool:

The catch I've found with mod managers (Vortex and MO both) is that it's not enough to have SKSE set to run as administrator; you also have to have the mod manager elevated so it's running as administrator.

Don't know what you mean but I run skse as an administrator outside Vortex .... before I installed skse and when I clicked on Skyrim to play the game via Vortex, a window was popping up asking me to run the game as an administrator, is that what you meant ?

I have the option to tell Steam to transfer my game from C:\Program Files(x86) to another folder/directory but I would have to also make some changes to Windows OS. I prefer to leave it as it is and run skse outside Vortex.

Question : why is so negative to install a game and mods in the C:\Program Files(x86) ? What are the implications ? Will that interfere with playing my game and mods ? Will that stop some mods from working as they should ? Will that caused CTD's and other issues ? Thanks in advance !! :cool:

Thanks for that simsrw73, I appreciate your help and what you suggested is something I did not know to be honest ... well, all my games have been installed in the same path, all the time since I am playing in PC and never had any problem.

At this point, I would have to delete everything and reinstall everything in the C:\ drive skipping Program Files(x86) just to make skse64 works as intended via Vortex ... ? I do not think so !

When I click on Open File location ( on my skse64 icon located in my desktop ), skse64 is located in C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\skse64_loader.exe .......

Do not have any problem running my game as an administrator via skse64 icon located in my desktop.

I guess that in the future, if I reinstall Skyrim again, I will tell Steam not to install it in Program Files(x86). :cool:

Did you try changing permissions? Select the file in explorer: C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\skse64_loader.exe

Right-Click on it, select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab, and Check the Run as Administrator option.

Now try to launch from Vortex. Does that work?

Windows prevents programs from launching random programs within the Program Files directories among other things without security credentials. This is part of proper security on files within those directories. I think the way it works is that Vortex is granted credentials to launch other programs and has no problem launching skse, etc. But Vortex doesn't (and likely shouldn't) pass that permission on to the process it's launching, thus skse does not have permission to launch another application, like Skyrim, that resides within the Program Files directories. Installing outside of Program Files is the best way around this.

Changing permissions and launching as Administrator is a nasty workaround; if you have to do that for any program then it's usually a sign something is wrong somewhere, but in this case it's the best workaround.

There are a couple ways to move your games. You can probably Google some instructions somewhere, but if not done correctly it could cause a lot of pain redoing all your setups.

Try changing the permission on skse as mentioned and let us know if that works.

Did you try changing permissions? Select the file in explorer: C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\skse64_loader.exe

Right-Click on it, select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab, and Check the Run as Administrator option.

Now try to launch from Vortex. Does that work?

Windows prevents programs from launching random programs within the Program Files directories among other things without security credentials. This is part of proper security on files within those directories. I think the way it works is that Vortex is granted credentials to launch other programs and has no problem launching skse, etc. But Vortex doesn't (and likely shouldn't) pass that permission on to the process it's launching, thus skse does not have permission to launch another application, like Skyrim, that resides within the Program Files directories. Installing outside of Program Files is the best way around this.

Changing permissions and launching as Administrator is a nasty workaround; if you have to do that for any program then it's usually a sign something is wrong somewhere, but in this case it's the best workaround.

There are a couple ways to move your games. You can probably Google some instructions somewhere, but if not done correctly it could cause a lot of pain redoing all your setups.

Try changing the permission on skse as mentioned and let us know if that works.

Hey simsrw73 .... YOU ARE THE BEST .... !!

I did what you suggested and now I am able to launch my game via skse in Vortex .... kudos for you, thank you so much ! :laugh:

• 1 month later...