• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Microshark

Microshark

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I recently started modding and decided a good step would be to make a custom race.

I found a good tutorial on nexus and it gave me most everything I needed to know and was very straight forward.

This is the face preset that I am using for the custom race in the race menu.

https://imgur.com/a/4UGjj

This is what it looks like in the npc menu.

https://imgur.com/a/kiRPf

Any help would be really appreciated.

Edited by Microshark, 16 February 2018 - 03:06 AM.

dubiousintent

dubiousintent

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 7,965 posts

If you haven't already, please see the 'Custom NPCs' section in the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

Suggest you be a bit more precise about what you need help with.  While the two images are obviously different, wasn't that what you expected with a "custom race"?  Be sure to look over the various "Tip" entries, such as 'TIP: Custom Race & Skin Textures' and 'TIP: Switching Custom Facial Features'.  They expand upon things not covered in the tutorials or that people have problems with understanding.

-Dubious-

madmongo

madmongo

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

A custom race doesn't give you a custom face. It gives you a custom face blueprint that is further modified by all of the facegen stuff when you actually apply it to your NPC or player preset. If the custom race version is pretty close to what you want, then you'll probably want to adjust all of the sliders in both the Geometry and the Texture section of the NPC pretty close to the middle (zero) for each slider. There are some shading and tinting effects that always get applied whether you want them or not, which is a royal pain in the backside sometimes. Unfortunately, there's no way to disable them that I know of.

Since the GECK is really an evil Vault-Tek experiment designed to test modder's frustration levels, one of the annoying things that it does is any time you even click on a race to view it, it marks that race as changed. Your mod will therefore not only create your custom race, but it will also overwrite any other mod's changes to the Caucasian, Asian, Asian Child, and Ghoul races (and maybe others - that's all I can see that are flagged as changed in your screen shot). If you don't want your mod to change these other races, when you start up the GECK, select your mod and press Details. Then select the races other than your custom race one by one, and press Delete. That will flag those changes so that they don't get loaded when you next load up the GECK. Now load your mod up as usual and save it. That will get rid of the extra races in your mod that you probably didn't want to modify.

Alternately, you can use FNVEdit to remove the extra race records. It's a bit less clicking and fiddling to do it in the GECK, but either way works.

Microshark

Microshark

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If you haven't already, please see the 'Custom NPCs' section in the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

Suggest you be a bit more precise about what you need help with.  While the two images are obviously different, wasn't that what you expected with a "custom race"?  Be sure to look over the various "Tip" entries, such as 'TIP: Custom Race & Skin Textures' and 'TIP: Switching Custom Facial Features'.  They expand upon things not covered in the tutorials or that people have problems with understanding.

-Dubious-

A custom race doesn't give you a custom face. It gives you a custom face blueprint that is further modified by all of the facegen stuff when you actually apply it to your NPC or player preset. If the custom race version is pretty close to what you want, then you'll probably want to adjust all of the sliders in both the Geometry and the Texture section of the NPC pretty close to the middle (zero) for each slider. There are some shading and tinting effects that always get applied whether you want them or not, which is a royal pain in the backside sometimes. Unfortunately, there's no way to disable them that I know of.

Since the GECK is really an evil Vault-Tek experiment designed to test modder's frustration levels, one of the annoying things that it does is any time you even click on a race to view it, it marks that race as changed. Your mod will therefore not only create your custom race, but it will also overwrite any other mod's changes to the Caucasian, Asian, Asian Child, and Ghoul races (and maybe others - that's all I can see that are flagged as changed in your screen shot). If you don't want your mod to change these other races, when you start up the GECK, select your mod and press Details. Then select the races other than your custom race one by one, and press Delete. That will flag those changes so that they don't get loaded when you next load up the GECK. Now load your mod up as usual and save it. That will get rid of the extra races in your mod that you probably didn't want to modify.

Alternately, you can use FNVEdit to remove the extra race records. It's a bit less clicking and fiddling to do it in the GECK, but either way works.

Thank you both for replying, it was very informative. I did not realize that there was a wiki for the GECk. I troubleshooted the problem myself. Since I based all of the meshes and texture for the race's face off of FCO faces. All I had to do was instead edit one of the Fallout Character Overhaul races myself. After I changed from my own esp to FCOs and made the race it showed up in game the way it showed in the race menu.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: geck, race creation, help, custom race

Page loaded in: 1.144 seconds