Help Balancing combat/sneak/progression

lucasm07251990

Hello i'm playing SSE and

I'm seeking help balancing my combat mods and sneak effects with an eye towards progression as related to ordinator perks, magic and general character power over the course of play through.

Firstly let me say this is my first time modding and this community is really incredible. Totally over whelmed by how awesome mod creators are. This s#*! is really incredible, even more incredible is how mod authors and users support one another even if its very frustrating/annoying to some mod authors, looking at you EnaiSiaion(ur incredible tho, frreal). so funny when people complain about adjustable settings and Enai just griefs em... XD

Im using NMM and LOOT fyi

What i'm looking for is a way to make sure that my sense of progression over the course of the game isn't too impacted by my growth in skill with my combat mods intact. Im concerned that ordinator perks and my desire for sneaking to be more realistic will make it so that i can easily best most enemies thus making the game too easy. I am interested in Requiem but there are too many other mods i want to try that seem to conflict by definition. Unless i'm wrong? Also SKSE is in alpha still so i dont feel comfortable trying it yet, i've avoided all mods dependent on it.

So heres how it all went down:

At first i put in combat evolved and wildcat and animal tweaks (also realistic AI detection and sneak tools, iNeed and some other stuff) and i couldnt get out of the caves beneath Helgen. Spiders kept killing me draining me with poison. Basically had to wait until my ally killed them all. Got out of there and eventually made my way into that cave near Whiterun for that first companions quest. (always wonderd: why am i fighting falmer at lvl2?) got one shotted a bunch but eventually made it to the chaurus room there and encountered a chaurus hunter that i couldnt get past.

Got frustrated, replaced animal tweaks with skytest. ok great, played again, animals easier. ok. bandits fun. Combat mods are freaking amazing but it already felt too easy. changed difficulty up to expert went to bleak falls barrow and wrecked em.

It makes sense that many characters would die from an arrow to the chest with sneak. ok. i like that, for humans and humanoids.... good flavor. goes with my immersion desires.

Got into draugr area and they don't wake up. this must be my realistic ai detection lite mod. they are all asleep. i one hit all of them. boring. i kill the death lord at the end in one hit with a cinematic sequence.

So i'm looking to balance this all out a bit.

I'm thinking move up to master difficulty? turn off wildcat +25% damage ?ROTE? Deadly combat perhaps? Im probably gonna download the realistic ai detection 'medium' for that bit.

One of my fears is that my sneak skills stack too much with ordinator and i will be able to sneak kill anything and everything going dow the line. I haven't played through very much of the game yet but I'm looking for suggestions that CURRENTLY exist for SE. There are some things that haven't been ported over that i would've liked to have used, but cant obvs.

I really want to balance ai magic use with my own, have a challenging, but doable melee combat feel. have sneak feel practical on humanoid opponents. im worried about compatibility adding any more combat tweaks. Not having SKSE for the more extensive mod menu's seems to be complicating things...

I'm gonna keep tweaking, but if anyone has suggestions or wants to riff on preferences they would be appreciated.

This is all very personal preference stuff, but seeing what others are up to could help me figure it all out. its tough to know how whats happening at lvl 10 will look like at lvl 40 when ur a noob like me.

Thanks. <3

heres my mod list:

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 Campfire.esm
7 7 Falskaar.esm
8 8 ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
9 9 Sneak Tools.esp
10 a SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
11 b Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
12 c Modern Brawl Bug Fix.esp
13 d NoBSAIProjectileDodge.esp
14 e iNeed.esp
15 f iNeed - Extended.esp
16 10 MagicalCollegeofWinterhold.esp
17 11 RLO - Interiors.esp
18 12 RLO - Exteriors.esp
19 13 goodbrother.esp
20 14 tcbm.esp
21 15 OBIS SE.esp
22 16 Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
23 17 Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp
24 18 SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp
25 19 Training Dummies & Targets - Falskaar Edition.esp
26 1a Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
27 1b DiverseDragonsCollectionSE.esp
28 1c BetterQuestObjectives.esp
29 1d AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
30 1e Andromeda - Unique Standing Stones of Skyrim.esp
31 1f Dragon Souls To Attributes.esp
32 20 FastTravelSpeedMultiplier.esp
33 21 dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
34 22 BarenziahQuestMarkers_Droppable.esp
35 23 timescale10.esp
36 24 Summermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp
37 25 AcquisitiveSoulGemMultithreaded.esp
38 26 ArcheryDummyXP.esp
39 27 Dr_Bandolier.esp
40 28 Immersive Patrols II.esp
41 29 Phenderix Magic Evolved.esp
42 2a Frostfall.esp
43 2b WetandCold.esp
44 2c Convenient Horses.esp
45 2d The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
46 2e OBIS SE Patrols Addon.esp
47 2f Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim.esp
48 30 RichMerchantsSkyrim_x5.esp
49 31 BetterShapedWeaponsLW-XB.esp
50 32 ClimatesOfTamriel-Falskaar.esp
51 33 Apocalypse - Ordinator Compatibility Patch.esp
52 34 50 More Perk Points.esp
53 35 RLO - Effects.esp
54 36 Realistic AI Detection 2 SE Lite.esp
55 37 Sneak Tools Vanilla Masks.esp
56 38 Sneak Tools Vanilla Hoods.esp
57 39 UnreadBooksGlow.esp
58 3a BetterQuestObjectives-PaarDilemmaPatch.esp
59 3b icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp
60 3c Combat Evolved.esp
61 3d Wildcat - Combat of Skyrim.esp
62 3e Guards Attack Hostiles.esp
63 3f Wildcat - Realistic Damage Plugin.esp
64 40 dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
65 41 dD-Medium Script Range.esp
66 42 dD-No Screen Blood.esp
67 43 dD-Reduced Wound Size.esp
68 44 Realistic Melee Range.esp
69 45 Mortal Enemies.esp
70 46 Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
71 47 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
72 48 RealisticWaterTwo - iNeed.esp
73 49 RLO - IC Patch.esp
74 4a Reduced Carry Weight -100.esp

You're in same boat as me, but i'm stuck there already for a loong time. I don't have an exact solution for you yet, but as i'm currently building up my modlist again (for the 20th time or so) i do have some recommendation for you.

The problem with modding Skyrim with diffeculty mods is that its mostly focused on fresh games and not on end games. There are ways to balance this out. You want enemies to level with you, or to become somehow stronger which the vanilla game doesn't. So you'll need enemy overhaul mods. Combat overhauls are a great to make it more interesting but do not make enemies unbalanced (that's what you actually want). So here are some recommended mods to make enemy encounters more frequent and more of a threat. The first 2 are for me personally my favorite because they alone make the game so much more better and cover most of it.

1. High level enemies
    Adds fixed enemy spawns and makes the strongest enemies scale with you. Has the option make every enemy scale with you. Adds a lot of different enemy variants and makes sure enemies are mostly the same level as you. In vanilla Skyrim its not weird to fight enemies that are 15 levels under you.
  2. Genesis Unleashed
    Adds dynamic enemy spawns to dungeons. Use this one to cover things High level enemies doesn't cover. It adds enemies to new lands mods like Bruma which High level enemies doesn't.
  3. SSE legendary system
    Do you like the feel of fighting mini bosses? Then this one's for you.
  4. Increased enemy spawns (x2 commended, x3 is just too much to handle)
    Sometimes being strong isn't everything. Sometimes you want to force yourself to use your brain. With this mod you'll have to use cheesy tactics to disable armies. For instance, combine this one with the above mods and try to enter Bleakfalls barrow without being shot down by a rain of arrows and at the same time being power attacked by 6 bandit warriors.
  5. Genesis Surface spawn
    Equivalent to Genesis Unleashed for the outside.
  6. Deadly Wenches
    Some female warriors will be a lot stronger.
  7. Hateful Wenches
    Like Deadly wenches but for Draugr Crypts. They are being summoned by Draugr and will be resummoned if you don't kill their source. (this one made me realise the game was too hard at that point)

Other ways to make combat harder:

• Hardcore Uncapper ini for Ordinator_Wildcat_and other Enai mods
    Decreases attribute point you get per level from 10 to 6. In the start that's not such a problem, but the more you level the more this becomes to be a penalty compared to the vanilla game.
  • Wildcat, Vigor, Mortal Enemies and Athletic Combat
    These mods give combat a lot more aspects to be considerate about. You don't need Combat evolved because you already have Wildcat. I prefer Wildcat because it has a injury system and is still actively being supported with new releases. Vigor adds a lot of stamina penalties to the game and gives enemies potions to make them stronger. It also has an injury system but i recommend to turn it off because Its too cumbersome. Mortal enemies makes enemies more realistic but you already know that. Athletic Combat makes some movements more restrictive, but also enhances some. It punished you more for not being considerate and committed.
  • SkyrimSouls
    No eating 20 cheesewheels In the midst of battle. Now you prepare before hand, hide or die. Inventory screens no longer pause the game.
  • Deadly diseases of Skyrim & Shrines no longer cure diseases
    Diseases will become something serious and not something you only discover about its existence after 50 hours into the game.
  • Subsistence
    Disables Health regeneration and gives food a more valuable aspect to the game. I do have to mention that mods that disable health regeneration aren't compatible with Imperious - Races of Skyrim. But if you had to choose i think Subsistence would have more impact in the long run than Imperious.

The problem when installing most of these mods is that your game becomes too hard. In that case there are some mods to balance this out.

• Draugr Shout less
    Without this mod, with all the new draugrs spawning on higher level it becomes unable to ever stand up after being spammed with FusDoRah. This mods makes them relax a bit more.
  • Eldritch Battery
    With SkyrimSouls installed you'll be hiding a lot just to regenerate your magic. With this mod your magic regeneration will get a boost once you avoid getting hit and casting spells
  • Dragon souls to perk point, ESO Skyshards, Perk Points and More Gold for Bounty Quests, Perk Point Awards
    If you can't gain perk points because the game is too hard then you'll need other ways to obtain those needed perk points
  • Combine potions by cooking
    In the end game small potions become useless. To solve this problem you can combine weak potions with this mod to create their greater counterparts
  • D13 Faster GET UP STAND UP animation
    Make combat a bit easier and faster
  • TK Dodge
    Now effectively dodge your enemy attacks!
  • Swift Potion Reborn, Equipment HUD, SkyUI
    These mods give you a lot of extra hotkey options like ability cyclers and group hotkeys. They are very much needed with SkyrimSouls, although even without it makes for more so much more intersting gameplay. Swift Potion Reborn is a non-SKSE mod for grouped cyclers. Equipment HUD is a SKSE based mod that lets you set custom hotkeys for cyclers. And SkyUI has build in hotkeys to equip multiple items and powers at once.

Okay, there are lot more mods i could recommend but right now i think i had most of them. I hope i can spare someone like you and others some valuable time with this because i wasted a lot of mine with it :tongue: Sorry if i had some bad spelling anywhere but i'm to lazy to correct it right now.

Edited by vanderplate

You're in same boat as me, but i'm stuck there already for a loong time. I don't have an exact solution for you yet, but as i'm currently building up my modlist again (for the 20th time or so) i do have some recommendation for you.

Â

The problem with modding Skyrim with diffeculty mods is that its mostly focused on fresh games and not on end games. There are ways to balance this out. You want enemies to level with you, or to become somehow stronger which the vanilla game doesn't. So you'll need enemy overhaul mods. Combat overhauls are a great to make it more interesting but do not make enemies unbalanced (that's what you actually want). So here are some recommended mods to make enemy encounters more frequent and more of a threat. The first 2 are for me personally my favorite because they alone make the game so much more better and cover most of it.

• High level enemies

Adds fixed enemy spawns and makes the strongest enemies scale with you. Has the option make every enemy scale with you. Adds a lot of different enemy variants and makes sure enemies are mostly the same level as you. In vanilla Skyrim its not weird to fight enemies that are 15 levels under you.

• Genesis Unleashed

Adds dynamic enemy spawns to dungeons. Use this one to cover things High level enemies doesn't cover. It adds enemies to new lands mods like Bruma which High level enemies doesn't.

• SSE legendary system

Do you like the feel of fighting mini bosses? Then this one's for you.

• Increased enemy spawns (x2 commended, x3 is just too much to handle)

Sometimes being strong isn't everything. Sometimes you want to force yourself to use your brain. With this mod you'll have to use cheesy tactics to disable armies. For instance, combine this one with the above mods and try to enter Bleakfalls barrow without being shot down by a rain of arrows and at the same time being power attacked by 6 bandit warriors.

• Genesis Surface spawn

Equivalent to Genesis Unleashed for the outside.

• Deadly Wenches

Some female warriors will be a lot stronger.

• Hateful Wenches

Like Deadly wenches but for Draugr Crypts. They are being summoned by Draugr and will be resummoned if you don't kill their source. (this one made me realise the game was too hard at that point)

Other ways to make combat harder:
  • Hardcore Uncapper ini for Ordinator_Wildcat_and other Enai mods

Decreases attribute point you get per level from 10 to 6. In the start that's not such a problem, but the more you level the more this becomes to be a penalty compared to the vanilla game.

• Wildcat, Vigor, Mortal Enemies and Athletic Combat

These mods give combat a lot more aspects to be considerate about. You don't need Combat evolved because you already have Wildcat. I prefer Wildcat because it has a injury system and is still actively being supported with new releases. Vigor adds a lot of stamina penalties to the game and gives enemies potions to make them stronger. It also has an injury system but i recommend to turn it off because Its too cumbersome. Mortal enemies makes enemies more realistic but you already know that. Athletic Combat makes some movements more restrictive, but also enhances some. It punished you more for not being considerate and committed.

• SkyrimSouls

No eating 20 cheesewheels In the midst of battle. Now you prepare before hand, hide or die. Inventory screens no longer pause the game.

• Deadly diseases of Skyrim & Shrines no longer cure diseases

Diseases will become something serious and not something you only discover about its existence after 50 hours into the game.

• Subsistence

Disables Health regeneration and gives food a more valuable aspect to the game. I do have to mention that mods that disable health regeneration aren't compatible with Imperious - Races of Skyrim. But if you had to choose i think Subsistence would have more impact in the long run than Imperious.

Â

The problem when installing most of these mods is that your game becomes too hard. In that case there are some mods to balance this out.

• Draugr Shout less

Without this mod, with all the new draugrs spawning on higher level it becomes unable to ever stand up after being spammed with FusDoRah. This mods makes them relax a bit more.

• Eldritch Battery

With SkyrimSouls installed you'll be hiding a lot just to regenerate your magic. With this mod your magic regeneration will get a boost once you avoid getting hit and casting spells

• Dragon souls to perk point, ESO SkyshardsPerk Points and More Gold for Bounty QuestsPerk Point Awards

If you can't gain perk points because the game is too hard then you'll need other ways to obtain those needed perk points

• Combine potions by cooking

In the end game small potions become useless. To solve this problem you can combine weak potions with this mod to create their greater counterparts

• D13 Faster GET UP STAND UP animation

Make combat a bit easier and faster

• TK Dodge

Now effectively dodge your enemy attacks!

• Swift Potion Reborn, Equipment HUD, SkyUI

These mods give you a lot of extra hotkey options like ability cyclers and group hotkeys. They are very much needed with SkyrimSouls, although even without it makes for more so much more intersting gameplay. Swift Potion Reborn is a non-SKSE mod for grouped cyclers. Equipment HUD is a SKSE based mod that lets you set custom hotkeys for cyclers. And SkyUI has build in hotkeys to equip multiple items and powers at once.

Okay, there are lot more mods i could recommend but right now i think i had most of them. I hope i can spare someone like you and others some valuable time with this because i wasted a lot of mine with it :tongue: Sorry if i had some bad spelling anywhere but i'm to lazy to correct it right now.

I'm in the same boat, with some of the same problems. I do appreciate this list, I will be using it for reference when I mess with my mods on my day off this week