Bugs and annoyances of otherwise great mod manager

MysteriousGuy

I found few things while testing Vortex to its limits that do not work properly:

1. In settings menu there is "to do" dashlet that does nothing really. Its not nothing - its empty invisible box on dashboard.

2. When you drag and drop a file inside vortex it is added to the list but has size of 0 b when it shows up in downloads.

To bypass this i had to paste the file directly into Vortex/SSE/downloads and then it showed properly inside vortex

3. Why is vortex full of Premium membership ads?

One is at the top of the window, one is at the dashboard, one is above download progress in downloads tab.

Its screaming "gimme the money!" in every non premium users face. Isnt one of them that is always visible (top of the window) enough?

Not to mention by paying you dont get any benefit from the program itself. Those ads belong to the site and not a program itself (at least not in that amount).

4. Dashlets do not stay where you want them to stay every time. Sometimes i wanted to put one at the right side but it jumps up if up is unocupied.

f70c4ef12d5a78535cd287d0c52bcf1e.png

5. "Visit on Nexus" mod option is to hidden to be of practical use.

When you double click a mod on the mod list it shows nexus informations if available on the right but you then have to scrool all the way down to get to mods nexus page. Annoying when you just want to update the mod or simply visit its page.

4e2e4f3c32d7f101f67aa8e1af984f8c.png

Other than that it works pretty much same as Mod Organizer and thats great. It installed everything i threw at it and it works. All 3rd party programs that i tried to run with Vortex did their job properly.

One is at the top of the window, one is at the dashboard, one is above download progress in downloads tab.

Its screaming "gimme the money!" in every non premium users face. Isnt one of them that is always visible (top of the window) enough?

Not to mention by paying you dont get any benefit from the program itself. Those ads belong to the site and not a program itself (at least not in that amount).

Complaining about ads on free stuff always baffled me. Software is like money, it doesn't grow on trees.

Complaining about ads on free stuff always baffled me. Software is like money, it doesn't grow on trees.

You say that because you have seen ads in NMM, MO or some other free mod manager?

Or maybe because you see ads in other open source software?

Or maybe because you adore ads in that case Tannin please make special ad version of Vortex just for b3snik. Make an add on every tab and make him watch video ads every time he clicks on any button.

Or maybe you just attempted to be higher and smarter but failed?

Talking about something you are not experiencing as a premium member should buffle you more.

Just for your info, I chose to support this community just a month ago, while being registered for more than 2 years. I won't even try explaining to you why. The only thing I "adore", as you put it, is being able to support the things I like, when I can. If I couldn't do it, I wouldn't be here complaining about developers on a free piece of software.

I found few things while testing Vortex to its limits that do not work properly:

1. In settings menu there is "to do" dashlet that does nothing really. Its not nothing - its empty invisible box on dashboard.

The todo dashlet is named "Let's get you set up" on the dashboard. When you close all the items in that widget it will disappear, no matter

what you do in settings. If you leave it enabled it may reappear in the future though when we add a feature to the widget or if a todo item

had a condition that was not previously met.

2. When you drag and drop a file inside vortex it is added to the list but has size of 0 b when it shows up in downloads.

To bypass this i had to paste the file directly into Vortex/SSE/downloads and then it showed properly inside vortex

I'll look into it, this worked during testing. Is it possible it was just the display being wrong? Have you verified the file on disc also has the wrong size?

Because Nexus requires money to operate.

Not to mention by paying you dont get any benefit from the program itself.

Wait, you're using the argument "Nexus gives us an unrestricted free open-source application" against us? So you're saying if we restrict functionality for non-premium

users it's ok to advertise??

4. Dashlets do not stay where you want them to stay every time. Sometimes i wanted to put one at the right side but it jumps up if up is unocupied.

Yes, the dashboard tries to optimize vertical space, this is intentional

When you double click a mod on the mod list it shows nexus informations if available on the right but you then have to scrool all the way down to get to mods nexus page. Annoying when you just want to update the mod or simply visit its page.

This is something for our UI designer. If you report it through feedback I will forward it to her.

You say that because you have seen ads in NMM, MO or some other free mod manager?

That argument boils down to: "Someone gave me something for free so now I expect everything from everyone to be free".

A lot of open source projects have ads or actively ask for donations, more or less aggressively. A lot of open source projects have other sources of revenue.

A lot of open source projects get abandoned because the dev would rather do something that pays the bills. Like, you know, me.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Just for your info, I chose to support this community just a month ago, while being registered for more than 2 years. I won't even try explaining to you why. The only thing I "adore", as you put it, is being able to support the things I like, when I can. If I couldn't do it, I wouldn't be here complaining about developers on a free piece of software.

Thats so sweet.

The todo dashlet is named "Let's get you set up" on the dashboard. When you close all the items in that widget it will disappear, no matter

what you do in settings. If you leave it enabled it may reappear in the future though when we add a feature to the widget or if a todo item

had a condition that was not previously met.

I'll look into it, this worked during testing. Is it possible it was just the display being wrong? Have you verified the file on disc also has the wrong size?

Because Nexus requires money to operate.

Not to mention by paying you dont get any benefit from the program itself.

Wait, you're using the argument "Nexus gives us an unrestricted free open-source application" against us? So you're saying if we restrict functionality for non-premium

users it's ok to advertise??

Yes, the dashboard tries to optimize vertical space, this is intentional

This is something for our UI designer. If you report it through feedback I will forward it to her.

That argument boils down to: "Someone gave me something for free so now I expect everything from everyone to be free".

A lot of open source projects have ads or actively ask for donations, more or less aggressively. A lot of open source projects have other sources of revenue.

A lot of open source projects get abandoned because the dev would rather do something that pays the bills. Like, you know, me.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

1. My bad on this one. I was expecting newly enabled dashlet to show up after all existing ones. Instead to do list shows up as first one.

2. File size on disc is 206.375 Kb and this is what i get if i drag and drop it into vortex downloads:

0fd0d7495445ed7f712263dbe25daba1.png

When i clicked on install it changed to 201,5 Mb so i guess it is display error.

3. Nexus needs money to operate but is not earning any money by this ads. I can click it and close it afterwards and not become premium member. Result is i got nothing nexus got nothing but ad is there. Also im saying its ok to advertise but does it have to be in every single tab? Why do you need dashlet ad that is just annoying users coz it gets in the way all the time while you try to organize your dashlets the way you want? Having "become a premium member for higher download speed" on downloads tab makes sense. Other ads not so much because they don't provide any benefit.

4. If this was intentional with dashlets then i guess its not a bug.

5. Im confused with all the feedback routes. Forum feedback, feedback from inside vortex, feedback on github... Whats the proper place for feedback to be considered as feedback?

"That argument boils down to: "Someone gave me something for free so now I expect everything from everyone to be free".

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

I already explained my point on ads (its green). I thought nexus is paying you for your work. If not ill click few ads just for you <3 .

I will say I do think only one ad is really necessary at the top. I actually find the excessive amount of ads as more of a deterrent to wanting to support Nexus.
I plan to in the future regardless, probably within the next few months, but does having more than one ad actually increase the likeliness someone will buy premium? I get Nexus needs to earn money, and I am all for that, but doesn't it work counter-intuitive if it's just annoying people instead of convincing them to buy premium?

At the very least I would like the ad in the widgets area removed because it ruins the ability to organize it the way a user wants, with a box that they can't get rid of.

Just a suggestion. I would still use it regardless so whatever you choose to do.