Bugs and annoyances of otherwise great mod manager

MysteriousGuy

That was not my intention. As you can see, I'm not a premium user either. My point is, free to use does not mean free to operate, as Tannin has already made clear. Ads allow Nexus Mods to support itself without charging every user who wishes to use it. In addition, they've hired two new developers and are looking to hire a third, so they need to expand their revenue to compensate. This is probably the rationale for the ads inside of Vortex. While I agree it could be a little bit less intrusive, ultimately I don't have much of a right to complain.

Ya, but the ads themselves don't earn them money unless someone decides to buy premium. So do they really need that many in the program when the one on the top is always there anyway? Again, ads are not the problem, it's the amount that is the issue. Especially since all of them are for exactly the same thing. Don't need to tell me to get premium in every location of the manager right? Not really going to earn them more by doing that, I wouldn't imagine.

Well, I could be wrong, maybe 3x the ads for some reason increases the chances of someone buying premium, but I doubt it. It personally turns me off.

That was not my intention. As you can see, I'm not a premium user either. My point is, free to use does not mean free to operate, as Tannin has already made clear. Ads allow Nexus Mods to support itself without charging every user who wishes to use it. In addition, they've hired two new developers and are looking to hire a third, so they need to expand their revenue to compensate. This is probably the rationale for the ads inside of Vortex. While I agree it could be a little bit less intrusive, ultimately I don't have much of a right to complain.

Ya, but the ads themselves don't earn them money unless someone decides to buy premium. So do they really need that many in the program when the one on the top is always there anyway? Again, ads are not the problem, it's the amount that is the issue. Especially since all of them are for exactly the same thing. Don't need to tell me to get premium in every location of the manager right? Not really going to earn them more by doing that, I wouldn't imagine.

Well, I could be wrong, maybe 3x the ads for some reason increases the chances of someone buying premium, but I doubt it. It personally turns me off.

The ads make them money because only people who use the site for free see them and might CLICK THEM.

People who buy premium don't see the ads, so they have nothing to complain about.

People who use the site for free get to see all the ads thrown at them, because they're refusing to support the site through an inexpensive membership.

Complaining about seeing too many ads, while refusing to pay a few bucks to get rid of them is pretty lame.

The ads make them money because only people who use the site for free see them and might CLICK THEM.

People who buy premium don't see the ads, so they have nothing to complain about.

People who use the site for free get to see all the ads thrown at them, because they're refusing to support the site through an inexpensive membership.

Complaining about seeing too many ads, while refusing to pay a few bucks to get rid of them is pretty lame.

I don't think it's lame in the least bit if it actually turns people off from supporting the site or even turns them off from using the software entirely because it annoys them. You might think it's just a few bucks, but I got news for you, not for everyone is it just a few bucks. I also, really don't like your attitude, it's piss poor. Not everyone can afford to support the site and it's not a refusal to do so just because they can't. You need to grow up because right now you are behaving extremely immature toward people giving their feedback. Also, don't say if they can afford a game they can afford to support the site. Do you have any idea how stupid that is? How do you know they even purchased a full priced game recently? Stop assuming crap like that. Skyrim, for example, is such an old game. Maybe at the time, they could afford it but now they can't.

You don't earn support for a site by annoying people or turning them away. Why do you think Adblock has become so prominent? It's because advertisers kept shoving the ads in peoples faces, making them more and more annoying. Yes, it might have earned them a bit of money at first till people realized they could do away with those annoyances. You want to earn money and you want people to not use things like adblock, then you need to do it properly. Because whether you like it or not, I do have the choice and I do have the power to make that choice. I can choose to not support Nexus, and I can choose to even block ads. Pissing off your customers is not the way you run a business. Doesn't matter if the site is free or not, that doesn't work.

Edit: I used to be pretty against Adblock for the longest time. But it got to a point where some sites practically forced my hand to use it. Some sites just get so ridiculous with the ads that you could have random commercials start playing on a website. Load noises on an ad that you accidentally roll over. I turn off Adblock for certain sites like Nexus, but I wouldn't hesitate to turn it on if the site started to annoy me, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Ads are meant to attract people to buy something, not turn them away. If you are turning them away, then you are doing ads wrong.

I will support nexus when I can, but I don't think it's right to tell people they will have ads thrown at them just because they can't afford to pay nexus. It's fine to have ads, but not fine to throw ads everywhere. I also don't think it's right to consider people who can't pay for it as "refusing to pay". Anyway, last I will comment on this matter because I don't want to get too riled up on this.

Edited by Brabbit1987

I don't think it's lame in the least bit if it actually turns people off from supporting the site or even turns them off from using the software entirely because it annoys them. You might think it's just a few bucks, but I got news for you, not for everyone is it just a few bucks. I also, really don't like your attitude, it's piss poor. Not everyone can afford to support the site and it's not a refusal to do so just because they can't. You need to grow up, because right now you are behaving extremely immature toward people giving their feedback.

K

Ads pay for the internet, just as ads paid for radio and TV in their heyday (and still do for those of us who've migrated back to broadcast).

The ads on Nexus aren't especially obnoxious. They don't play sounds, they don't display a pop-up, they don't open a new browser instance, they're just there. They're among the absolute least obnoxious ads I've come across on the entire web. You can click on them or not, and they don't annoy you when you don't.

Vortex is part of the Nexus platform, it's one piece of the whole. Nexus is eminently usable without it, either by manually installing mods, or by using one of the other mod managers that are available. Vortex promotes premium membership because, as part of that whole, it costs money to produce and operate, just as the other pieces do. The greater the number of people who are reminded that they are receiving value without being required to pay for it, the more likely it is that some of them will recognize that value, and contribute to offsetting the costs involved. And in fact, as I recall, Vortex only displays one ad, the one for premium membership. It doesn't display any of the other ads that Nexus does, though I believe it's well within the capabilities of the application platform that's been chosen to do so. So there's that as well. In addition, the Nexus does not stop you from accessing it when you use an ad blocker, a strategy becoming much more common among freemium web sites.

You are, of course, free to continue using both Vortex and Nexus for absolutely free, without having your access restricted in any meaningful way. Neither Vortex nor Nexus (to the best of my remembrance) has any features, save for the premium servers, unavailable to those who won't (or can't) pay, so you have absolutely the same functionality that I do, and that all the other premium subscribers do, without paying one red cent.

So, your choices appear to be: pay for some level of premium access, stop using Vortex and/or Nexus, or deliberately thwart the site's owners by using some form of ad blocking, thus withholding even the paltry revenue that ad impressions give them. Personally, I hope you'll choose the first of those, as even the lifetime membership was ridiculously inexpensive when compared to the value I've gotten from the site over the course of the last few years for just one game, Skyrim.

Ads pay for the internet, just as ads paid for radio and TV in their heyday (and still do for those of us who've migrated back to broadcast).

The ads on Nexus aren't especially obnoxious. They don't play sounds, they don't display a pop-up, they don't open a new browser instance, they're just there. They're among the absolute least obnoxious ads I've come across on the entire web. You can click on them or not, and they don't annoy you when you don't.

Vortex is part of the Nexus platform, it's one piece of the whole. Nexus is eminently usable without it, either by manually installing mods, or by using one of the other mod managers that are available. Vortex promotes premium membership because, as part of that whole, it costs money to produce and operate, just as the other pieces do. The greater the number of people who are reminded that they are receiving value without being required to pay for it, the more likely it is that some of them will recognize that value, and contribute to offsetting the costs involved. And in fact, as I recall, Vortex only displays one ad, the one for premium membership. It doesn't display any of the other ads that Nexus does, though I believe it's well within the capabilities of the application platform that's been chosen to do so. So there's that as well. In addition, the Nexus does not stop you from accessing it when you use an ad blocker, a strategy becoming much more common among freemium web sites.

You are, of course, free to continue using both Vortex and Nexus for absolutely free, without having your access restricted in any meaningful way. Neither Vortex nor Nexus (to the best of my remembrance) has any features, save for the premium servers, unavailable to those who won't (or can't) pay, so you have absolutely the same functionality that I do, and that all the other premium subscribers do, without paying one red cent.

So, your choices appear to be: pay for some level of premium access, stop using Vortex and/or Nexus, or deliberately thwart the site's owners by using some form of ad blocking, thus withholding even the paltry revenue that ad impressions give them. Personally, I hope you'll choose the first of those, as even the lifetime membership was ridiculously inexpensive when compared to the value I've gotten from the site over the course of the last few years for just one game, Skyrim.

Why do I feel like some people just purposefully don't read what is said? No one is complaining about the types of ads on the site. No one is complaining that there are ads at all. The issue is, there is a multiple of the same exact ad on vortex. It's redundant when you already have one at the very top that is there no matter what tab you are in.

As I said, I particularly don't like the one on the dashboard because it's taking up space.

I only have Starter, and Recently Managed active in the dashboard and it would be perfect as those two boxes are the same size and they would fit one below the other. But the Ad box always has to be on the right side, and you can't move down to the bottom. So you have this big empty space there because of this stupid ad that you can't close which is redundant anyway because there is the same exact ad right at the very top. Who here actually thinks a person seeing the ad two times in the same window increases the chances of a person buying premium?

They see the first one ... "hmm naa" ... they see the second one .... "oh, I think that redundant second ad changed my mind" said no one.

I plan to buy premium once I am able, the lifetime version because I had no idea that even existed till it was mentioned in another thread. But just because it's not something I will have to deal with myself doesn't mean I would stick up for silly things like this. It seems more like a tactic to annoy people into buying premium, which I don't agree with.

• 1 year later...

@Brabbit1987 - I'm with You 100%

:confused:

Pls add normal paying methods...without writing dossier...

Paysafe, Bank account transfer, sms, sofort, przelewy24 - idk, something that doesn't require writing every information and it's hella faster.

What does this have to do with Vortex? Vortex is not for sale - it's free to every member of Nexus Mods, even to those who choose not to be paying members.

Whatever issue you're having here, you need to take it to the Nexus Mods website support forum.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

• 10 months later...

And the thing the people supporting the ads should get is that it's the individual's choice to buy premium or to not buy it, just as is the individual's choice to use Vortex or not. There are many other mod managers out there; I can pick and choose whichever one I like anytime I like. No amount of adverts would convince an individual such as myself to buy premium any faster, especially if they would find them annoying or invasive. And no amount of criticizing them for not liking the substantial quantity of your adverts would convince them to keep using your program. The people who use it don't have a right to complain about it, but you don't really have a right to complain about people complaining about it either. Not when it's free. It's like a volunteer at a food drive complaining about how he has to give out free food to people who may or may not have money to pay for their own food. If you wanted more people to pay for it, you wouldn't have made it free to download and use. Not everyone has the money to pay for premium, some won't pay for it even if they do have the money, some will gladly open up their wallets and give you what is necessary. You clearly understand that much (that's why you made it free), so then you must also understand that some people don't like having ads crammed down their throats when those ads don't serve a purpose to them, or are just generally irritating. One ad is generally sufficient to get your point across, two's pushing it, and three is three too many.

As for the people against the ads, it's what I said above: you don't really have a right to complain. It's free, so why do that? It takes money to make money, as the saying goes, and these guys do a lot of hard work, and spend a lot of money so that they can have something to show for their efforts. I get it, ads are freaking annoying and I personally despise them as many people do, but they DO serve a purpose: so the people who are making programs and software (like Vortex) and all sorts of other cool stuff you know you like can keep making these things. They don't earn money to stay in the game, cool stuff like Vortex and the five-hundred+ mods we all know you've got on your hard drive won't be made, and that would really suck. It would certainly suck MORE than having to suffer through a few adverts.

I see both sides of the argument. I don't really mind ONE ad, as long as I can hide it so it's not constantly in my face. Even a corner somewhere would suffice But, I get that the ads are to keep you guys earning, and really, there's nothing I can do about it, as it's a free program.

Edited by Guest