Vortex, Syrim SE, SKSE64, and the Steam overlay

SweetBearCub

If I start Skyrim SE from Vortex without SKSE64, the Steam overlay works with no issues. However, gameplay is broken without SKSE64.

If I start SKSE64 from Vortex, which also loads Skyrim SE, then the game works properly, but the Steam overlay is not accessible.

How can I play the game with both SKSE64 and the Steam overlay? I like to chat with my friends, have quick access to a clock and a simple web browser, etc.

Following these instructions (found on the sticky posts section of https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10694/?tab=posts, since I had a similar issue with MO2) do not seem to help. If I follow the instructions below, SKSE64 loads properly, but the Steam overlay is not accessible.

-----------------------------

- Make the folder Data\SKSE (if you don't have it)
- Inside Data\SKSE make the file SKSE.ini
- The file should contain:

[Loader]
RuntimeName=SSE.exe

12. Rename SkyrimSE.exe to SSE.exe
13. Rename skse_loader.exe to SkyrimSE.exe
14. Disable showing of RivaTuner OSD (maybe MSI Afterburner folks will fix it in the future, currently it prevents Steam Overlay from showing)
15. Now if you start the Skyrim Special Edition Launcher from MO2 and hit START, you will play with Steam Overlay :smile:

-----------------------------------

Run all 3 in administrator mode works

Vortex.exe skse64_Loader.exe and Steam.exe

Then you can make skse64 primary and run SSE from inside Vortex and still use steam overlay.

How do I do that Toriko ? I am running SKSE64 outside Vortex and playing my game and not problem. Anytime I try to launch SKSE within Vortex, it is giving an error about steam.exe not found or something like that, so how can I make the changes that you are suggesting please ?

• 2 years later...

If I start Skyrim SE from Vortex without SKSE64, the Steam overlay works with no issues. However, gameplay is broken without SKSE64.

If I start SKSE64 from Vortex, which also loads Skyrim SE, then the game works properly, but the Steam overlay is not accessible.

How can I play the game with both SKSE64 and the Steam overlay? I like to chat with my friends, have quick access to a clock and a simple web browser, etc.

Following these instructions (found on the sticky posts section of https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10694/?tab=posts, since I had a similar issue with MO2) do not seem to help. If I follow the instructions below, SKSE64 loads properly, but the Steam overlay is not accessible.

[Loader]

RuntimeName=SSE.exe

14. Disable showing of RivaTuner OSD (maybe MSI Afterburner folks will fix it in the future, currently it prevents Steam Overlay from showing)

15. Now if you start the Skyrim Special Edition Launcher from MO2 and hit START, you will play with Steam Overlay :smile:

_______

Some mods are dump and won't recognize if you change skse64 name to something else

Guest deleted34304850

[Loader]

RuntimeName=SSE.exe

_______

Some mods are dump and won't recognize if you change skse64 name to something else

why would anyone rename it to something else? i would say that the person doing that is dumb, not the mod.