My Experience So Far - Vortex & Fallout 4 VR

Thorfkin

I decided to test Vortex by modding Fallout 4 VR. So far I've been pleasantly surprised. This mod manager is very near excellent. I started slow to give myself some time to learn how it worked by loading a few basic texture replacements. Once I'd gotten used to the Deploy / Purge system and mod priority, I loaded in about 115 texture mods from my old Mod Organizer set for regular Fallout 4. This worked better than I'd imagined. At first I found the drag and drop system for setting rules a bit cumbersome. Then I discovered I can click the red lightning bolt to address the conflicts in a list relatively quickly. Only took about 20 minutes to sort my numerous conflicts after that. I think doing the same in Mod Organizer by dragging and dropping would have taken longer. This interface is much cleaner and more direct. The Deploy / Purge system impresses me. As long as I remember to purge my mods before I go messing with the files in the mod folders it does a perfect job of keeping my data folder clean. I also found the hard link system a great deal more stable than Mod Organizer's VFS. I currently have about 98GB of additional texture files loaded into Fallout 4 VR on top of the game's default assets. I was able to play for 4 hours strait without a single crash. I could never get anywhere close to that level of stability with MO2 and Fallout 4. Thank you to all of the Vortex development crew for your hard work. In my opinion it was well worth the wait. I look forward to watching this develop further.