[Performance] How I almost doubled my FPS and got rid of the stutter

balu

HI guys!

Just wanted to share a discovery I made yesterday.

Keep in mind this is probably hardware dependent and will not work for all.

I have an I5 6600k and a GTX 1070, and this helped me, my friend have a I7, and 1070 and for him it did nothing, but he never had the problems I had to begin with.

The talk about CPU loads and Threads waiting for each other causing stutter and low FPS got me thinking. In another game (X-Plane 11) the same thing was happening after release, and the culprit was Nvidia's Thread Optimization in the graphic card driver (CPU and GPU not working together probably and unnecessarily waiting for each other )

The solution was simple, just turn this thing off in the Nvidia control panel. So I gave it a try with KCD, and behold, previously in Ratty on Ultra setting I had 35 - 45 fps with stutter and sometime 1 sec long pauses.

With this setting off, I get 60 - 70 and it is smooth, have not seen a pause or stutter since.

TL/DR:

If you have a none hyper-thread processor and Nvidia gpu, go to Nvidia control panel and Turn OFF Thread Optimization. And see what happens.

If anyone willing to try this please post your results along with your GPU and CPU.

What's "this thing"?

And for me, there's no cpu issue. but actually a gpu issue as the game uses more gpu performance than it should. Thus dropping from 60 int he wilderness to 30 in the rattay armor seller.

this thing: Turn OFF Thread Optimization.

It is a complex problem about both CPU and GPU and how they work together. And actually being in a city is more CPU intensive than GPU, the AI and skeleton animations are much more complex in the city, while in the forest there are more polygons to render because of the foliage, this is not just a load question, but a thread communication one, loads does influence it in a sense that the problem will reveal itself on high loads, but it can be either GPU or CPU high load, if one of them is loaded while the other is not so much threads will stop communicating properly and bog down the system.

The Thread Optimization Nvidia use is suppose to solve this, but as it seems it creates more problems than it solves in some cases.