Activate select files from mod?

orangemountain

I do this quite a bit with MO, but I've never been able to figure out how with NMM, and that's the main reason why I've never used NMM to manage a game. Total deal-breaker for me. For several reasons I may install only 1 or more files from a mod's archive, or install it twice so all files are represented in two mod folders, and I can just activate what I need for that profile. Reasons are I downloaded a texture pack but only want to use one or two files, or I'm merging mods, or I'm merging patch/optional plugins into the main mod, or I repacked a BSA with optimized/resized textures and want to keep the original as reference, or ... a hundred other reasons.

Is there a way to do this with Vortex now? If not do we expect this feature from MO to become available in the future? I really hope so!

Yes, but at the moment you'll have to do it manually after you install a mod. Under the mods section, if you click the "open with file manager" button, it will open up the folder that contains the data folders for each of your installed mods. You can then either rename or delete the files you don't want to have active in each mod.

Ahh, got it now. After installing once and deleting the files I don't want activated, then if the archive still exists in my downloads folder I can select the installed mod and choose Reinstall, Rename and have the unactivated files from the mod available for reference. Thanks for the reply, that's just what I was hoping for. Seems counter-intuitive, though, that the archive and installed mod(s) are visually represented as the same thing by the GUI.

Doh! It turns out I was only getting it to work on a mod that was manually downloaded. When the 'Mod Manager Download' button is used, you can reinstall the mod, but Vortex only lets you use one instance of the mod at a time. The version number gets replaced by a menu that lets you view or enable one version of the installed mod at a time.

This is acceptable if for example, a mod comes with bundled 1K or 2K textures and an install script. You install the archive once for 1K, install it again for 2K, give them each a descriptive name, then enable 1K for profile A, 2K for profile B, etc. But an example where this becomes a problem is a mod with optional components. Say the main part of the mod is very large, like a gigabyte, plugin and assets combined, with an optional 1K patch plugin for compatibility with another mod. Logically we'd install the main mod in one folder, then the patch plugin in another folder, enable as needed. That is easy and obvious to do with MO, but I'm not seeing how to in Vortex. NMM always seemed to intentionally fight users who customize the mods they download, and unfortunately it looks like Vortex is inheriting this mindset (so far at least).