Can't Save A Script?

NotEverNerevar

To make a long story short, I've encountered a bug wherein Radio New Vegas and Mojave Music Radio do not "turn on" after returning from a DLC, instead playing the "off-air" static as referenced on the GECK site. Quite simply, I just want to create a script that sets SetBroadCastState 1 for both of them when the game starts, which hopefully solves my problem. However, I can't even save the script I created! I realize that it won't let you save a script with errors, but it provides zero context about what I've done wrong. Below is my very barebones script.

scn RadioFix

Begin GameMode

RadioNewVegasTA.SetBroadcastState 1
vCountryRadio.SetBroadcastState 1

End

This is my first actual experience with scripting, and the wealth of information available hasn't actually been very helpful in trying to proofread my work. Any input would be appreciated.

For your problem regarding help proofreading your work, GECK PowerUp is great.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58277

I only know about the plug-in version, which requires the GECK to have NVSE running with it, which means you make a shortcut to NVSE and in the Properties for that shortcut, you go to the Shortcut tab and find Target, where you can just add

-editor

Otherwise, there's this:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/15324

I've never used that script validator myself, but a lot of people swear by it.

Now, onto why your script isn't compiling. You need to use the Reference IDs here. Unfortunately, Mojave Music Radio doesn't have one. You can find this out by right-clicking on the Base Object in the Object Window, in this case RadioNewVegasTA, and clicking Use Info. In the bottom half of thewindow that comes up, you'll see the sole instance of this object in the vanilla game, and that is what a reference is: something that has been placed in the game world. So, double-click that and it will bring you to the reference for RadioNewVegasTA (there could have been others if the developers had placed more than one, but that would be redundant, so there's just the one here). If you double-click on RadioNewVegasTA in the Render Window (RadioNewVegasTA looks like a wall terminal but floating in the air), it will give you the Reference window, where you will see the developers have given this reference a Reference ID, allowing it to be used in scripts. That ID is RNVTARef.

So, you could give Mojave Music's talking activator reference a Reference ID if you want, and then use that in the script, but frankly, I would advise against the entire thing. I have a feeling your bug is fixable without going into the GECK, and is probably confined to your one save where you encountered it. So you can just use the console and enter this command. Now, if you've done this, you may be interested in modding, and that is something I definitely encourage pursuing, so if you just want to have a bit of fun here, go for it, but as a practicable fix for this problem, it's going to be messy and pose compatibility problems (if this is indeed the problem the stations are having). That or get a little overly complex if this is your first script.

That said, I'm with you all the way if you still want to do this just for fun. I just wouldn't upload it or anything.

Edited by EPDGaffney

You can use nigh any script command in the console. The difference is mainly that you'll need to use the numerical Reference ID (in parentheses next to the Reference Editor ID I gave you earlier). Fortunately, for every actor or object in the vanilla game, including DLC, these numbers are available on all the Fallout wiki site, like Nukapedia for example.

And here's a good reference for console commands:

https://fallout.gamepedia.com/Gamebryo_and_Creation_console_commands_(all)

Sure enough, it's listed, though that doesn't guarantee full functionality. Best thing to do is to test it. There's GetBroadcastState to make sure that it's not broadcasting as well. And then there's GetDisabled to confirm it's not disabled. You can try Player.MoveTo <Radio New Vegas RefID> to have a look at the thing as well. And you can try disabling and then enabling the radios' talking activator references.

On that note, you can use these commands in-game on any reference if you have the ID, including Mojave Music.

Failing that, I have a mod uploaded on the Nexus that keeps Radio New Vegas enabled always, so you can try downloading that.

And finally, when I said your bug was confined to this save (probably), I should have said potentially this save, but just as likely this load order. So, it could be a sort of 'wild card' vanilla bug, or a mod conflict/bug.