User-Created Mod Packages

captainjay111

I had an idea that I think would greatly increase the amount people using the website, the idea goes as follows. Instead of what people currently do which is create long exhaustive lists of mods that you need to download one by one we could create a new category of mods that would download a package of mods. This means that people could put a list of mods together for a specific kind of play through I see one(theres prob more this is just all I can think of) ways of implement this, one create an object that contains a download link to a mod and create an array of these

CODE EXAMPLE (in java sorry)

public class mod
{
    public ArrayList<mod> modList = new ArrayList<mod>; //contains the download modList instead of string list is used because it could also be used on the preview website
    public mod(String (Download URL))
    {
        String url = (Download URL);
        modList.add((Download URL));
    }
    public mod[] list()
    {
        return modList.toArray();
    }
}
// Different class to send to launcher

for (mod m : mod.list())
{
    m.getURL().sendToLauncher;
}

Note that this is a crude example that is prob vulnerable to attacks

Reply with suggestions on the idea or simply to just explain to me that this has been suggested before and wont work Either will do :tongue:

Edited by captainjay111

Just thought of another way completely launcher side:

Have the launcher cycle through a file containing many mods one by one (no coding example for my lack of knowledge on how the launcher works)

I personally prefer the first method due to it being multi launcher compatible without modifications but this would mean it would have to wait for it to download five at a time (unless you're a premium member)

If it would be the second being a plugin it would install the mods from the disk meaning less load on the server and no waiting (unless it was made a premium only feature)

Edited by captainjay111

well , while the basic idea sounds nice (as you are talking about directing download links rather than hosting the actual files of the mods) , this might cause issues

if mods are updated , files are removed or changed , it just won't recognize the link , which means that this requires constant maintenance by the list uploader

I'm actually quite interested to see what others think of this , as this could work if done properly , and should cause issues of content theft and such

hopefully some of the devs and admins get a glance of this , it would be interesting to hear their opinions on this

well , while the basic idea sounds nice (as you are talking about directing download links rather than hosting the actual files of the mods) , this might cause issues

if mods are updated , files are removed or changed , it just won't recognize the link , which means that this requires constant maintenance by the list uploader

I'm actually quite interested to see what others think of this , as this could work if done properly , and should cause issues of content theft and such

hopefully some of the devs and admins get a glance of this , it would be interesting to hear their opinions on this

I thought of Content theft a little and i think that would be the main reason it becomes a premium only feature, although maybe it could be a moderated issue where there was a review process that made sure all of the mod authors knew that their mod was being used in Scumbad01s' package if not scumbag01 gets a penalty of some kind while if so a cut of all proceeds go to the mod creators. Although i see no good way of putting ads on this but im sure there must be a way

if all you do in this pack is just redirect the mod manager to download the specific files , I don't think there should be a problem here

content theft is usually the issue when someone uploaded files made by other people (which is how mod packs usually work , as simply a large collection of mods that you download as a single archive) . as long as all you do is make the mod manager open download links from other mod's pages , I don't think it's against anything

I don't honestly see a reason to shove ads into this , nor make this premium only

I think this is against what the site is about . and there are no real proceeds for modding , as far as I know (though there is a system that the Nexus will implement sometime in the future , which I recall being announced some time ago)

as long as this is limited to this site , and hosted on this site , I don't think the Nexus devs and admins would have anything against it (but you should really contact one of them directly with the idea , or at least direct them to this thread if you really want to discuss this with the people who can make this happen)

But of course doing so is a violation of the Nexus Terms and Policies:

Uploading files and images...

• Do not upload compilations of other users work irrespective of whether the authors of the work you would like to compile together have agreed to your using their work in your compilation. For example: no "my favourite mods" lists or "best weapon" compilations.

Dark0ne has discussed the reasons for this prohibition many times. Bottom line? Don't do it.