Dropping files in Vortex stopped working

DarkDominion

Ok, that explains it. You can't drag&drop between applications running on different user accounts for security reasons.

Please don't run Vortex as administrator, nor any other application which doesn't absolutely need it (which should be none except for installers)

And "Files" is the info I was expecting.

@Tannin42 No,no,no....do not blame this on me.

That is not what I did, and not what I said if you read my previous posts.

I never activated it myself.

Are you guys shipping the version with activated administrator rights, because that is how it looks when I install it ( with the administrator icon visible and all ) without activating administrator rights.

@HadToRegister: I also complained about that in my feedback on version 0.13.1 ( administrator rights effing up stuff ) but apparently they ignore stuff like that

Edited by DarkDominion

I repeat: I did NOT turn administrator rights on.

And apparently more people did not do that t if you read this thread.

Toriko : I have had the same problem and reinstalling did not correct it. ( which tells me it's "ON" by default )
Oblivionfan52 : 1) I'll also confirm drag and drop does not work for me in 13.5, and has not since 13.3. I'm not sure I tried it earlier than that. ( which tells me it's "ON" by default )
2) Turning off admin also fixes it in Win 10 64bit ( which tells me it's "ON" by default ) , but what is the down side for Vortex?
simsrw73 : Are you running Vortex as Administrator ( why does this guy know this, and is the rest of the world oblivious to the fact that admin rights are bad for Vortex? )?
Windows won't allow you to drag from a normal user mode app to an app with elevated privileges.

Again: I manually had to switch it off....

If this is how it works, fine, but please put up a big warning sign saying: after installing switch off administrator rights or something

Edited by DarkDominion

You have 3 people out thousands and assume that proves it's the default?

Look, I'm not saying it's your own fault or anything, I want to get to the bottom of why this is happening for some users but the fact is that it is just a fraction of users affected, so there has to be something that is differenrt on your system or to how you installed Vortex from the majority of users.

Maybe it has to do with your Windows version or group policies or some security software but it is not Vortex setting itself up to be run as admin.

Could everyone affected please post their windows version and edition (i.e. Win 7/8/8.1/10 Home/Pro/Ultimate) and which installer you used (one-click or custom)?

And could at least one affected please check:

- When you remove Vortex and install from scratch, immediately after install, is vortex already set to "run as administrator" in its properties?

- Same for the other installer?

- Are any other "compatibility" settings enabled for Vortex?

- When you remove Vortex and install from scratch, immediately after install, is vortex already set to "run as administrator" in its properties?

If anyone does this: It would be a good idea to verify that the Vortex app directory is completely removed and manually remove it if it is not before reinstalling. Just to make sure folder perms aren't fouled up.

Also, It's unclear from the other posts if those other users turned on Run as Admin, on purpose. That would be useful to know.

Win 10 PRO 64 bit, single click install

I just reinstalled Vortex starting with 0.13.1 to 0.13.3 then 0.13.5, after each I checked admin privileges and they where not set to run at any point. I don't know what happened with the earlier installs but I don't think I set admin myself.

With apologies to DarkDominion I can't say with 100 percent certainty that didn't set admin when I first loaded 0.13.1.

I am sure I did not set admin to run 0.13.3 forward, but I assume if they were set to run in 0.13.1 the setting would have carried foreword?

Edited by oblivionfan52