Vortex and Mod Executables

Reidlos

• 9 months later...

Would it possible to wire the Mod Executables parameters to the Profile system.

So that these are independently modifiable per profile.

The use-case that prompts this request was in using FNIS today.

These would make it less tedious to change the FNIS > Command Line's path each time I switch profiles.

I'd forgotten setting this up on first install and today while testing a mod port I'm working on, I kept getting FNIS prompts in game to select settings for idles, blah blah blah..

Turns out I'd forgotten to switch profile paths and the FNIS Data folder was pointing to the older profile and not loading in game.

I'd even gone as far as to posting the question in Fore's forum before I'd figured out my mistake!

Well, thanks for all around to the Vortex team.

I've been modding Skyrim a few years now and I haven't sleep since, 'cause I'm not done modding yet and it's your fault now! :thumbsup:

r

You should never change the FNIS command line once you have it correct.

FNIS always has to run out of the game directory: {game}/Data/Tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users/GenerateFNISforUsers.exe.

This will never change when you change profiles.

Thanks rmm200, I don't.

The path to FNIS itself isn't changing per profile, only the path specified using the RedirectFiles parameter in the Command Line text field for the executable's settings.

It's just something I thought would make my personal modding experience a little more streamline.

So I thought to ask, as others might see the benefit the line with FNIS or other current/future mod tools with parameters that would change between profiles.

Unless I'm mistaken, when you switch to a profile that uses FNIS, Vortex looks to be running FNIS during the deploy.

Can anyone confirm this?

If this is the case, then I have an additional concern.

Everytime I switch from my "[A] playthrough build" to my " mod testing build" that both use FNIS, on deploy, the FNIS data for will be auto-generated and overwritten into my last defined FNIS RedirectFiles path [A].

So I will have to change the FNIS data path rerun FNIS manually and redeploy again.

Maybe I am missing something, but every time I switch profiles and run FNIS manually, the FNIS output goes into a profile specific data mod.

This is with the FNIS extension turned on.

I should note - I have never trusted the FNIS run during Deploy. It usually gets errors, and I am happy running it manually.

Note: On the Settings page, Interface, there is a switch for "Run FNIS on Deployment Event". In my case, I should turn that off.

Edited by rmm200