Deleting a mod and go back to your saved game tip !

sopmac45

Just would like to share with the rest of you folks ( just in case you did not know ) that if you install a new mod, try it and you completely remove it from Vortex if you do not like it, delete from your game menu all your saved games with the mod installed and go back to your saved game before installing the mod, is not enough so you are missing one more step. Read below.

Deleting all saved games while you were trying your new mod and go back to your hard save is not enough. You need go to Saves Games in Vortex, and find your saved game, click on the dropping arrow Delete Tab on the right of the screen, and you would have to choose : Restore Save's game plugins .....

... failure to do that, even if you deleted all you saved games with the mod installed and even if you went back to your saved game before installing the mod, will not cut it.

I delete one mod today, did what I was supposed to do and when I loaded my saved game ( before installing the mod I was trying ), I entered to the same dungeon and nothing was spawning at all, not even vanilla draugrs. I though that by mistake, I had forgotten dungeons plugin disable so I checked Vortex and this mod and hateful wenches were enabled, so I went to the Saved Games tab and I found out that I had to Restore Save's game plugins on my saved game, and after that, everything started to work as normal.

This is a step I did not know about so I hope that you take note of it. If you knew this step, disregard, otherwise, I am happy that you are learning something else about Vortex. :geek:

You could also try FallrimTools which might get rid of any orphaned scripts in your save game.
I know it's saved some of my saves from some unrecoverable crashes

But you are right, for the best and safest route, definitely lad a save game from BEFORE you installed the mod.

If you're going to try out mods, you should make a Test Save (open the console type "savegame testing_mod" and hit enter, quit the game, install the mod, load up the game save called testing_mod and try out the mod.
if you DO have the save the game, just do the same thing open the console and type "testing1"

At least that way, you won't be messing with your "official" savegames, and the games you were testing mods on, will be clearly labelled, that way, if you decide you don't like the mod, you'll know which game save you were using BEFORE you installed and tried out the mod.

You could also try FallrimTools which might get rid of any orphaned scripts in your save game.

I know it's saved some of my saves from some unrecoverable crashes

But you are right, for the best and safest route, definitely lad a save game from BEFORE you installed the mod.

If you're going to try out mods, you should make a Test Save (open the console type "savegame testing_mod" and hit enter, quit the game, install the mod, load up the game save called testing_mod and try out the mod.

if you DO have the save the game, just do the same thing open the console and type "testing1"

At least that way, you won't be messing with your "official" savegames, and the games you were testing mods on, will be clearly labelled, that way, if you decide you don't like the mod, you'll know which game save you were using BEFORE you installed and tried out the mod.

I did not know that console command ... this is very useful HadToRegister .. thanks for the tip ... can you imagine, it would have save me a lot of time and headaches back with NMM and definitely will help from now on with Vortex .... :cool:

I did not know that console command ... this is very useful HadToRegister .. thanks for the tip ... can you imagine, it would have save me a lot of time and headaches back with NMM and definitely will help from now on with Vortex .... :cool:

No problem, I use it all the time to stay organized, I even use one right at the very start of a new game (I use Live another life) so I type "savegame Start" so when I want to do another playthrough, I can just load up that save, enter the racemenu and edit my character's name etc, and start fresh.

No problem, I use it all the time to stay organized, I even use one right at the very start of a new game (I use Live another life) so I type "savegame Start" so when I want to do another playthrough, I can just load up that save, enter the racemenu and edit my character's name etc, and start fresh.

And after you type that console command "savegame start", what do you do with your mods ? Can you delete them completely and restart modding again ? More tips please ? Thanks a lot ... :cool:

And after you type that console command "savegame start", what do you do with your mods ? Can you delete them completely and restart modding again ? More tips please ? Thanks a lot ... :cool:

If I'm trying out mods, I might start with no mods and make a savegame called "NoMods_Clean" or Start_Clean"

Then I know that it's right at the beginning of the game with no mods

If I want to test out mods, then I can load the "NoMods_Clean" or "Start_Clean" clean save after I've installed a couple of mods, but then I make sure to use the plain old save system so I don't overwrite "NoMods_Clean", or "Start_Clean", -OR- I can make ANOTHER save called Testing_Mods, Testing_Mods1, Testing_Mods2 etc.

Either way, as long as I use the game system to save after that, the Start Savegames will never get overwritten, unless I purposely ovwrite them by using the 'savegame' command and naming my save the same thing as before.

That way, if I don't like one of the mods I'm testing. I can just uninstall it, then load up Start_Clean, or NoMods_Clean and try news mods

If I'm trying out mods, I might start with no mods and make a savegame called "NoMods_Clean" or Start_Clean"

Then I know that it's right at the beginning of the game with no mods

If I want to test out mods, then I can load the "NoMods_Clean" or "Start_Clean" clean save after I've installed a couple of mods, but then I make sure to use the plain old save system so I don't overwrite "NoMods_Clean", or "Start_Clean", -OR- I can make ANOTHER save called Testing_Mods, Testing_Mods1, Testing_Mods2 etc.

Either way, as long as I use the game system to save after that, the Start Savegames will never get overwritten, unless I purposely ovwrite them by using the 'savegame' command and naming my save the same thing as before.

That way, if I don't like one of the mods I'm testing. I can just uninstall it, then load up Start_Clean, or NoMods_Clean and try news mods

Understand, but I what happened if you use some mods and then deleting them and go back to your "Start_Clean", do they leave traces in the game folder ? Some of them does so how do you handle that ?

Understand, but I what happened if you use some mods and then deleting them and go back to your "Start_Clean", do they leave traces in the game folder ? Some of them does so how do you handle that ?

Unless you're installing them manually, a good mod organizer should be removing any trace of mods.

I know WryeBash keeps track of every single file it replaces and overwrites, so if you decide to remove a mod, it will restore all of the overwritten files

Of Course, Wryebash also installs the mods right to the Data directory instead of using symlinks or hardlinks or whatever and a lot of people don't like that.

That's why I use NMM for the 'virtual" install/uninstall, but use Wryebash fand Xedit for Load order/conflict resolution.

If the file is a mesh and/or texture and it REPLACES a vanilla mesh and/or texture, then yea it's going to affect a clean save, but if it's a Mesh and/or Texture specifically used by a mod and it's not a replacer then you shouldn't see it because the esp that specifically calls for that mesh and/or texture has been uninstalled.

• 2 weeks later...

So as a TL;DR to what the OP wrote in his first post :
If you go back to a save which doesn't have ANY of the the uninstalled mod's assets you can just load that save.
Dunno what all the fuzz is about?

Edited by DarkDominion