Dangerous or Stronger Dragonrend

GeneralTroubles

In the main story, you are required to learn a shout to take down Alduin (I'm fairly 99.9% sure that you all know this and don't need me to tell you.)

In short, this shout was "Dragonrend", and the Greybeards made a big fuss about teaching it to you, though change their minds shortly after. One of the more frustrating points in the entire game and something that could have been greatly elaborated on was this specific line of dialogue given by Arngeir:

"It was created by those who had lived under the unimaginable cruelty of Alduin's Dragon Cult. Their whole lives were consumed with hatred for dragons, and they poured all of their anger and hatred into this Shout. When you learn a Shout, you take it into your very being. In a sense, you become the shout. In order to learn and use this shout, you would be taking this evil into yourself."

And yet through the entire game, we have no effects whatsoever. All of this "hatred and evil" that you were supposed to take into you was never elaborated on, and was simply a footnote during the story. You never had any negative effects from learning or using Dragonrend and you were able to defeat Alduin either way. In the end, you were stuck with a shout you eventually never used and you got a cool "blue flame" effect on the dragons it was casted on.

This is one of the weakest points in the game. There are a lot more but this is the more prevalent one in the main story.

-------------------------------------------------------

Can someone tell me if a mod exists that adds negative defects to learning or using Dragonrend (or both). If one doesn't exist, someone make this mod. It's neat, simple, and is almost essential for the flop that Bethesda made this shout to be.

I cannot make this mod because I'm stooopid. ;_;

Potential effects could be from the following:

*Decreased stats during use, similar to the prison system. Making it only to be used on really powerful Dragons.

*Decreased health, magicka, or stamina depending on how much you use it.

*A cool flame affect surrounding your character and new strengths, sort of like the Satsui No Hado from Street Fighter (Someone please make a mod for that alone).

*Potential long-term problems with extended use, sort of like the Mangekyou Sharingan from Naruto (someone already made a mod for that alone).

*The inability to gain the dragon's soul afterwards.

*Evil voices inside your head telling you to kill people often, which decreases your speech and magic skills when you ignore them.

*Dark urges, such as drinking or stealing, similar to the previous effect.

*Make intimidation much more effective.

*Physical changes to your character, like a change in body scale (muscle mass), change of hair color, eye color, or skin tone. Not sure on that one.

*Seeing things out of the corner of your eyes shortly after use, or increased paranoia or so.

*A seething hatred for the dragons, in which you are rewarded a level up for each one slain. (pretty OP)

Albeit positive or negative changes to your character, changes from this shout are essential. From what Arngeir made it sound like; this shout would be strong enough to turn the Dragonborn from a valiant hero to a dark and brooding Anti-Hero. I'm not expecting the mod to go that far into angst, but at least make it appear that he was shaken up by the event and struggles to cope with the affects. It would add for roleplay and give something internal for your character to fight against. That, and add a cure, or a counter-shout, that can clear these affects. With definite strengths for keeping the shout.

You know how vampirism in TES lore has a way of twisting the minds of people infected, in which they start to see it as a gift of great power? Add that system too, make it so that you have benefits to countering or allowing the shout to twist you. With the strengths increasing over time, as well as the drawbacks.

I'm not looking for this personally for me, I'm simply tossing the idea around. It just seemed really unnatural and immersion-breaking that this "great danger" was simply a new shout that can take down dragons after thirty seconds of them still flying around. It would be cool to see a price for saving the world. It could also lead to a better start for potential villain characters. There aren't enough mods that adds this concept, though Undeath is one of them. The only Non-Mod path of being a fallen hero is in the Dawnguard quest-line in which you can chose to be blatantly evil or be a loser and stay human. Later on in the Dawnguard quests, you have to become a VL in order to progress, but even that's done wrong because you have the option to be soul-trapped instead. It's the choice of be evil or good, with no reason you're really making these choices. This potential mod would give you a reason to be inflicted with a curse that could grant you great strength and twist your mind; you need it in order to save the world! There would be no alternatives. It's either the path of darkness or the path of doom.

What's better, to be born good or overcome your evil nature? How about being born good, gain an evil nature, and then work to overcome said evil nature (or let it grow). The Fallen Hero is the greatest type of villain because the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Hell, maybe make the shout so in-depth that we may just become a greater threat to Skyrim (and possibly Nirn) than Alduin could have ever been. Maybe we can become a Dragonborn Lich King, I don't know but it's a neat and interesting lore-friendly mod idea to toss around about morality, and makes the character question the moralities of good and evil... It IS in a dov's nature to dominate, apparently.

This doesn't even have to be expanded to Dragonrend. You can make a spell, shout, quest-line, or anything that really gets the player to start thinking. Something non-linear and challenges the character's morality is always welcome. Forbidden power? Ancient knowledge? Eldritch horrors? There are so many ideas that come to mind that you can make an entirely different game with moral choices alone.

• 6 months later...