Auto Update didn't and crashed

simsrw73

Same issue as @zhesam. Saw release on github and foolishly decided to update. All my F4 mods were wiped clean. Downloaded and installed ones. Also used custom location installer.

Are they actually deleted from disk or Vortex looking in the wrong place? Where were your Download and Mod directories? Within the Vortex folder?

Same issue as @zhesam. Saw release on github and foolishly decided to update. All my F4 mods were wiped clean. Downloaded and installed ones. Also used custom location installer.

Seems "wipemods" bug related to custom installer,

it remains only to be glad that my game did not go further then Sanctuary, since basically I was playing with Vortex and other modding utilities from the public release of Vortex and did not delve into the gameplay yet. Depresses just have to redownload all the 100+ modes

​Well, I installed Vortex to the default location C:\ProgramFiles (x86) so I guess I will not have any trouble, but just in case, I won't update till later.

​This need to be fixed as soon as possible by the developer team. Hope is very soon.

Seems "wipemods" bug related to custom installer,

it remains only to be glad that my game did not go further then Sanctuary, since basically I was playing with Vortex and other modding utilities from the public release of Vortex and did not delve into the gameplay yet. Depresses just have to redownload all the 100+ modes

Hah, I lost 5 days. According to the active profile I had 264 mods installed, not to mention merging and cleaning esps :/ I knew Vortex is in alpha but I really didn't expect it to wipe everything just like that.

Hi guys,

Do you know where is the new Vortex update page please ? Version available in the normal page said different version. Where is the "beta channel" atm mentioned by Tanin ?

Thanks ... :cool:

NOTES : Solved. Inside Vortex where you choose Stable ... drop down the arrow and Beta is listed ....

... so, with this update are we officially passing from Alpha to Beta stage ? I saw a lot of changes in the new version but I know there are hundreds requested by all of us and probably more versions and updates will happen. :huh:

I wish I knew that before. MO downloaded mods and extracted them inside install dir. So yes, I thought it was good idea. I know Vortex is not MO, but still I didn't see any warning regarding mod dir location. If there was one then I didn't notice, my apologies.

This problem can only happen if you either used the custom installer (which says in the description: "Please note: Use only if you know what you're doing. We can't promise uninstall or future updates will work. We will not provide support for permission problems.")

or if you run Vortex as administrator or manually changed file permissions to even be able to place the mods/downloads in c:\program files\..., both of which are also essentially you saying "I know what I'm doing".

With the suggested way of installing Vortex you wouldn't have been able to set it up like this because the file permissions wouldn't have allowed it.

I wish I knew that before. MO downloaded mods and extracted them inside install dir. So yes, I thought it was good idea. I know Vortex is not MO, but still I didn't see any warning regarding mod dir location. If there was one then I didn't notice, my apologies.

Storing mods, programs, zip files, documents etc INSIDE another Program's directory has been a no-no from the DOS days, and is going to inevitably lead to accidental data loss.

The best setup with the most options, is you should have a directory devoted to mods D:\Mods (or wherever) with sub folders for the games, then whatever Mod Manager you use can be directed to that directory.

My setup I have the one central MOD folder, and all the different game subfolders I.E. D:\Mods\SkyRim SE, D:\Mods\Morrowind, D:\Mods\Oblivion, D:\Mods\Fallout 3 etc etc

Now I have one central location where I know all of the game mods and I can direct all of the mod managers to their specific game director.

Use Vortex for Fallout 3? Set your BASE folder or whatever it's called in Vortex to D:\Mods\Fallout 3

Use Wrye for Oblivion? Set the folder in Wrye for D:\Mods\Oblivion

Use NMM for Fallout 4? Set the mod folder for D:\Mods\Fallout 4

With a separate MOD directory, your mods will always be safe, no matter which Mod managers you install/uninstall