Do not put mods/downloads into your Vortex install directory!

Tannin42

This is a misunderstanding.

{USERDATA} resolves to something like

c:\users\<windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Vortex - this is fine.

What we mean by "Vortex install directory" is the directory where the Vortex application, that is: "Vortex.exe" and stuff. By default this is

c:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex

If you're using default settings you're completely fine because

a) The default directories Vortex has pre-configured all follow recommendations of the OS vendor and have, by default, all the right permissions.

b) The Vortex install directory is actually write protected so you won't even be able to put your mods/downloads there without at least getting a very stern warning.

The trouble only starts when you customize things, people have been using the custom installer to install Vortex to a path like

d:\Vortex

and then changed the settings to put their mods/downloads into

d:\Vortex\mods

d:\Vortex\downloads

While I can kind of sympathize with the wish to keep all things Vortex together cleanly in one place, this setup is bad for security reasons and if we (as Vortex devs) wanted to support it, it would make our installer a lot more complex and less robust.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so vortex installs the mods onto the Sky rim game data folder?

I had a mod I downloaded cause lots of undesired effects to my game

As I attempted delete it, it still showed in the game and still got all types of errors

I'm still trying to fix issues caused I have had to uninstall skyrim along with deleting

all it's data. I'm very upset because should have been something to prevent this

from happening

Guest deleted34304850

before you uninstalled the game, formatted your hard disk and re-installed windows, did you actually disable the mod and then purge it so that the hard links to the mod are removed by vortex?

Vortex installs mods to the Mod Staging Folder, not to the game data folder. When you enable mods, Vortex creates in the game data folder temporary hardlinks to the Mod Staging Folder. When you deploy, Vortex makes those hardlinks permanent. When you purge, Vortex removes the hardlinks from the game data folder but leaves the Mod Staging Folder alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Vortex installs mods to the Mod Staging Folder, not to the game data folder. When you enable mods, Vortex creates in the game data folder temporary hardlinks to the Mod Staging Folder. When you deploy, Vortex makes those hardlinks permanent. When you purge, Vortex removes the hardlinks from the game data folder but leaves the Mod Staging Folder alone.

even still I went the proper steps to remove the bad mod the damage was still left

after going the steps I had to go uninstall skyrim delete all files specific for skyrim

and reinstall skyrim then re install mods. It was a giant mess I wish I had never

had to do

Not sure if this entirely fits to this topic but I feel it does. Anyhow, Just switched over to Vortex From NMM things were going fine though 1:I'm unsure why when I disable and uninstall a mod it's plugins stay installed?

2:My more pertinent question however has to do with a sudden error with mod deployment failing concerning a mod "BreezehomeTNF", that I wasn't even doing anything with when this happened, and mod organizer 2 (archive), which I don't and have never used nor know why that even pertains to skyrim, having missing mod directories.

update: issue 2: went away as soon as i changed the deployment method option to Hardlink Deployment. not sure as to why tho.

Not sure if this entirely fits to this topic but I feel it does. Anyhow, Just switched over to Vortex From NMM things were going fine though 1:I'm unsure why when I disable and uninstall a mod it's plugins stay installed?

2:My more pertinent question however has to do with a sudden error with mod deployment failing concerning a mod "BreezehomeTNF", that I wasn't even doing anything with when this happened, and mod organizer 2 (archive), which I don't and have never used nor know why that even pertains to skyrim, having missing mod directories.

update: issue 2: went away as soon as i changed the deployment method option to Hardlink Deployment. not sure as to why tho.

Please open this as a new topic in this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help?

Today I've made a mistake in some way and now I cant fix it, where the whole problem is about the mod issue that is popping up every single time when I am trying to set up the folder for mods to download in Vortex. The message say "You need to select directories that the current user account can write to". What should I do? Because I am completly lost, I've tried many ways to try to fix it.

Edited by KLDK01

Can anyone help?

Today I've made a mistake in some way and now I cant fix it, where the whole problem is about the mod issue that is popping up every single time when I am trying to set up the folder for mods to download in Vortex. The message say "You need to select directories that the current user account can write to". What should I do? Because I am completly lost, I've tried many ways to try to fix it.

This is a Sticky post for Information, it's not a Tech Support Thread.

You should start a new support thread in the support forum so everybody can see it, so you'll get help.