Do not put mods/downloads into your Vortex install directory!

Tannin42

NOW..something else happened.Thanks I did that and yes, all were moved.

The same notification as before appeared this time stating that ALL THE LINKS dissappeared (??)

And now I do not see ANY PLUGIN LISTED....

what the hell just happened??

Do you have any filters set? If you have it set to display only enabled plugins and they are all disabled, you will get a blank list.

No filters at all! they just dissappeared after setting the new directories.

I guess I had to choose UNDO instead of APPLY on that message that alerted that the links dissappeared but this is another thing not explained at all...aggghh

I'm reinstalling EVERY FREAKING MOD for the third time..because it is the only way to re-add the missing plugins. I tried to run the game and every mod dissapeared without the plugins.

Also I have to set the download information manually on every mod installed, and then go to the link, then click the NMN install so they are downloaded again into vortex and only after that I select INSTALL aaaaagggggghhhhh!!!

THIS VORTEX is becoming a NIGHTMARE!!!!!

Edited by Michelangelos

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have an example for that? I haven't seen a game do that since the 1990s...

Some games from 2000 - 2004 doing this includes Nox, Morrowind and Doom 3. In the same period where's also a few games putting save as one sub-directory (often under uninstall) and application as another sub-directory. These includes Deus Ex and Gothic 1 + 2.

All those games made people wreak havoc when Windows Vista forced them to use Admin mode to start them and bothered the user with UAC dialogs. And were part of the reason why Win Vista had such a bad reputation.

All that because of lazy and/or incompetent programmers.

When you chose Undo, did you also click the Confirm button at the bottom?

Did you try a Purge then Redeploy?

yes I did clicked confirm

I'm not sure how to do that Purge and Re/deploy. But I ended up redownloading and installing back everything.

Now it is working.

The only issue I have is that VORTEX is not using the directories I set:

Base: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR MODS

Download: {base}\downloads

Mods: {base}\mods

Then suddenly my C: drive was filling up, when I verified I realized that vortex is saving all the downloads in:

C:\Users\MYUSER\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\skyrimse\downloads

Why?????

BTW the download path that is configured is EMPTY!!

This is not working properly

Currently there is an issue with downloading VR version mods. Tannin is aware and has posted some possible solutions and asking for feedback.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6629301-opinions-please-moddownload-directories/

FYI: Purge removes all the links that Vortex has added to your game directly, essentially returning it to vanilla. Then hitting deploy will have Vortex re-install all the file links for the current profile.

FYI: Purge removes all the links that Vortex has added to your game directly, essentially returning it to vanilla. Then hitting deploy will have Vortex re-install all the file links for the current profile.

No Way I'm touching this again hahahahahh

Thanks anyway...but EVERYTHING WORKS now ... I'm not falling on that one again. :P

• 1 month later...

hi

imho the information for setting the paths is a bit vague

the download folder is where Vortex saves the mod archive

install path is where the mods get extracted to and then the links to files are created

but what is the base path folder used for

I don't install anything to C, let alone Program Files. As a general rule of thumb, last time I knew, that was the first thing to avoid when modding (ie avoid putting games and mods and modding tools to protected directories).

i do not install my games to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) i play a lot of old games i make a now folder in the root of the C:\ and name it Games and i have my steam games install to a second hard drive

i do not like the auto updater but having a warning that the Vortex install directory gets deleted during update will be help

or what about the install checks to see there are modified or files that are not part of the base installation then the installer renames the folder and the install to new folder then the user gets popup telling them that the old folder has has been renamed to Vortex Backup

or you do not need to change the install scrip to do that just how the install is started instead of how it is the now where vortex downloads the installer then starts the install and then closes vortex then vortex is updates

now you have a script that runs before the is installer that that checks to see if there are modified ore files that are not part of the base installation then renames the folder if there are new files of folders or modified files that get detected then the install starts

Edited by madwolf2006

The base directory is a base directory for a game's modding data.

If you don't change it, both the download and the install path are relative to the base path, i.e. they're looking like

{base}\downloads

and

{base}\mods

This way you just have to select the base path and the two other directories are set subdirectories of the base path. Only if for some reason you want to store the archives at a different place (like on a network path), you might want to change the Download Path manually.

• 2 weeks later...