Fallout 4 VR .ini's not retaining values

BigBaggie

So unless I'm completely missing something else, Vortex seems to be using an override in the form .baked and .base in the Fallout config folder. Is there a way to stop vortex from using these and just stick to the originals? I haven't taken write protection off yet but changing the values in game does nothing, and using the tweak tool only saves changes to certain parts of the ini (which I imagine isn't found in Vortex's extras such as UI color). If this has been covered somewhere else my apologies in advance.

As it stands I have to reset my values in Bilago's tweak tool and save After I'm done with Vortex, each time.

Edited by BigBaggie

I have noticed this issue as well. I guess we can simply delete the .base and .baked each time we edit the .ini.

which causes issues with Vortex on start up afaik. For my setup I have to start Bilago's Tweaker first, otherwise Vortex changes the values, do what I need with vortex and then save the currently loaded values with Bilago's Tweaker after using Vortex to keep my values. Idk if I'm the only one but this is annoying af lol, Vortex looks and handles quite well I just wish it would leave the .ini's alone

Question: Do you have the Settings for your profiles set to Yes? If so, Vortex is managing different copies of the ini files and that might be the source of your confusion.

I've left all my profiles set to No for Settings and have no problem editing the ini files and deleting the baked files to get Vortex to see my changes.

Question: Do you have the Settings for your profiles set to Yes? If so, Vortex is managing different copies of the ini files and that might be the source of your confusion.

I've left all my profiles set to No for Settings and have no problem editing the ini files and deleting the baked files to get Vortex to see my changes.

I've had it set to no, but if that worked for you I'll try to mess around with that - constantly trying to catch the .ini before Vortex loads is a huge pain lol. Thank you will give it a try and see what happens

edit: Alright! I must've not tried deleting the .base and .baked after telling it No for profiles because now, although it recreated those files it hasn't touched my ini's!! Thank you!

Edited by BigBaggie

a) Stop deleting vortex files nilly-willy. Thank you. Those files are not temp files (recognizable by the fact they don't end on .temp or .tmp) but are actually required for Vortex to work correctly. Seriously: Do not delete Vortex files when you don't know what they are doing or at least if you do, don't report problems you're getting afterwards!

b) When you use Vortex as it's supposed to be used (as in: not deleting random files) and it's not working properly, report that as a bug.

c) Whether you use profile-specific game settings shouldn't matter

The way .ini, .ini.baked and .ini.base are used is this:

- .ini.base is the "original" state of the ini file before vortex touches it.

- .ini.baked is a copy of that file with various ini changes applied by vortex. This could be wrye bash style ini tweaks bundled with mods or it could be settings vortex has to add for proper operation, like when you use profile-specific save games, vortex has to change an ini setting for those save games to be loaded.

- .ini starts out as a copy of .ini.baked. Any ini configurator, the game itself, the launcher, ... will work on this file.

And here comes the important part:

Vortex will detect changes between .ini and .ini.baked and know that these were added by the user or other tools and transfer them back into .ini.base and then update .ini.baked and .ini accordingly. This way .ini.base always contains your custom settings without the stuff vortex adds on top whereas .ini.baked also contains automatic changes and .ini is used as a "temporary" file to later diff against .ini.baked.

When you delete .base and/or .baked you force Vortex to consider .ini the "source" and thereby you have turned all "automatic" ini tweaks into "custom" settings. Congratulations, you just broke all ini tweaks you may have had enabled, bsa redirection, profile specific save games and so on. Vortex can no longer disable any of that because Vortex now doesn't know that those weren't settings you made yourself.

• 2 months later...

So, is there a tutorial anywhere about how to make changes to the .ini files when you are using Vortex? I have been looking for days and the only thing I can find is exactly what you tell us NOT to do - deleting the base- and baked-files. Smacking our fingers isn't really helpful when the net is plastered with posts from anything from modding veterans to beginners who are confused and have found only that very solution.

Vortex will detect changes between .ini and .ini.baked and know that these were added by the user or other tools and transfer them back into .ini.base and then update .ini.baked and .ini accordingly.

Sounds great, but then why is Vortex reverting any changes I do to the .ini-files as soon as I click deploy mods? Doesn't matter whether I make the changes in-game or with the config tools or BethINI, or editing the file in Notepad. If I turn the music off and invert the mouse y-axis in game, Vortex will have reset them the next time I load the game if I have clicked deploy mods in between.

(Also, why is Vortex asking me to deploy mods every time I start the game even if I come straight from deploying mods in the mods section??)

How can I edit the ini-files in a way that Vortex accepts? What file should I edit if I need to change the Fallout4.ini settings? Is there a way to revert any problems I may have caused by deleting the said files? (The only Fallout4.ini file that has any values, including the baked and base, on my set is the BethINI backup version.)

As I explained in the post immediately above yours: You make changes like you would always have: You edit the skyrim.ini file.

But you absolutely must not delete the .base or .baked files, just ignore them. And you must not set any of the files write protected.

Vortex will import the changes you made in the ini file back to the other ini files automatically. Everything should work like it would if you used a different mod manager or none at all.

Sounds great, but then why is Vortex reverting any changes I do to the .ini-files as soon as I click deploy mods? Doesn't matter whether I make the changes in-game or with the config tools or BethINI, or editing the file in Notepad. If I turn the music off and invert the mouse y-axis in game, Vortex will have reset them the next time I load the game if I have clicked deploy mods in between.

It shouldn't, that's what I said before. If this is what's happening then report it as a bug.

(Also, why is Vortex asking me to deploy mods every time I start the game even if I come straight from deploying mods in the mods section??)

Because Vortex can't know if anything changed that requires re-deployment. You could have edited a mod file outside vortex or the ini files. The act of automatically

checking if deployment is neccessary would take almost as long as deployment itself so it would be pointless. If you don't want to be asked, just enable automatic deployment

which is the default setting anyway.

How can I edit the ini-files in a way that Vortex accepts? What file should I edit if I need to change the Fallout4.ini settings?

Again: you edit fallout4.ini like you always have and you don't do anything you wouldn't do without vortex (like deleting files)

Is there a way to revert any problems I may have caused by deleting the said files?

Only thing you can do is close vortex, delete base and baked again and then edit the ini file manually and return it, from memory, to the state it was in originally.

If you happen to not have memorized all ini settings you can only delete the file and start the game, so they get reset to defaults.

OK, thanks for your time. I'll look into it.

The write protection thing may be a reason I am having problems. I have made a fresh install and am following the BiRaitBec modlist where the instructions say to set ini files to read only in BethINI. The list is made for NMM but I didn't know there would be that much difference. It's an experiment from my side, so I am expecting some issues, but this was very confusing.