Anti-crash mods for F4?

SirDanest

About the "Anti-Crash" Mod for the older BGS games :

I believe those things help getting around the 4GB RAM limit that comes with 32 bit memory addressing, so that the main .exe won't crash from hitting the memory ceiling.

Fallout 4 is a 64bit .exe, however, and such a memory limitation does not exist. Whatever crashes you are seeing are not the same as the problem solved by the old anti-crash mods.

If you are seeing frequent crashes even without mods, one thing you could try is to use the borderless windowed mode, instead of full screen mode. In my case, I use more than one screens here (even though games would use only one), and Fallout 4 used to crash every 15 minutes or so, until I came across a suggestion to use borderless windowed mode. Ever since I started using this mode, the game stopped crashing completely. (The same solution worked for Skyrim SE in my case.)

The game will crash if you have bad textures or meshes. When checking to see what's causing your problem, don't forget to check those folders.

Also, if you have ever disabled a mod during mid-game, that save file would still contain the data used by that disabled mod, and that could cause crashes. It's usually not a good idea to uninstall a mod and keep using that saved game. (This is just the way Bethesda games work - don't blame mod authors if you ever encounter this issue.)

When installing mods, always do so one by one, so that it would be easy to see which ones are causing issues. You should always read the descriptions on the mod pages before downloading, also.

I hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

lemme throw in a few cents from myself, just a few months after last reply:

FO4 can be fixed to not crash without mods at all, or with mods that should work, but have random script errors (errors which happens rarely, and can be solved easily)
and it was done too, by my ukrainian friend's friend. But it will never be up for dl. Why?

Because he presented it to Shithesda, and wanted them to add it to the game (with or without edits).
And guess what?
Apparently, no matter how game changing patch/game edit it would be, if one of original bethesda employees didn't make it, then it will never be added to the game. And so he dropped it :/

now, my ukrainian friend explained me in short what it did:
Basically, ctd's often occur if loading something result in script error. Afer encountering such error, game doesn't try to do anything and just crashes. This fix forces fallout to just pause everything else, and try loading it again. Idk how many attempts were programmed, but most of the script errors caused by base game or mod that works fine for others takes about 1-2 tries.

Sadly, if anyone else won't try to replicate this solution, we will always have a chance for ctd, even on vanilla game...

IIRC a lot of NV anti-crash mods essentially spammed "purge cell buffer" on a timer or at strategic times... and seemingly caused a lot of other problems. That console command certainly exists in FO4, and it often DOES work if you have problems blackscreening when trying to leave (fast travelling out of, or entering a door within) a cell you do not care about anymore (since you killed and looted everything worth killing and looting in it) ... no idea how many insidous side effects it would have with FO4 engine if used in a semi-automatic fashion...

• 10 months later...

So any update or post is dead?

FOSE has some memory fixes in it, as does ENB. Not sure if running both helps or not.... but, that's what I do. My game is pretty stable. It's just other mods that make it crash. Updating, or, in some cases, rolling back, those mods, and I can play for hours without a hiccup.