SKSE not launching from Vortex help !

sopmac45

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running Vortex as "Administrator" is a bad idea.

Why would it be necessary to start SKSE64 or FNIS as admin? Because that's the only consequence, if Vortex is started as an admin, all process it starts itself are also started with admin rights.

Running Vortex as "Administrator" is a bad idea.

Why would it be necessary to start SKSE64 or FNIS as admin? Because that's the only consequence, if Vortex is started as an admin, all process it starts itself are also started with admin rights.

I would assume needing to run SKSE64 as Admin much like running F4SE for Fallout 4 as admin is needed to avoid the system just opening the default game launcher when you run those executables without admin. I can't start either Skyrim or Fallout 4 is the Script Extender Loader is not set to run as admin, it just opens the normal game launcher which then resets your ini files and settings which is bad. As a result, because you aren't supposed to run Vortex as Admin, it then can't launch SKSE64 or F4SE.

First: Start Steam explicitly before you run SKSE or any other tool. Otherwise, Steam is launched (as part of the protection check) and then Steam in turn executes the game exe, which is the Skyrim launcher. That doesn't happen if Steam is already running in the background.

Secondly: It's a very good idea to rename the skyrim launcher exe, especially for the reason you mentioned. I actually renamed it and then make a copy (or a link) of skse64_loader.exe and rename it to skyrim_launcher.exe. So when Steam is trying to load the launcher, it's actually just launching the game.

I would assume needing to run SKSE64 as Admin much like running F4SE for Fallout 4 as admin is needed to avoid the system just opening the default game launcher when you run those executables without admin. I can't start either Skyrim or Fallout 4 is the Script Extender Loader is not set to run as admin, it just opens the normal game launcher which then resets your ini files and settings which is bad. As a result, because you aren't supposed to run Vortex as Admin, it then can't launch SKSE64 or F4SE.

While running as administrator on an old windows-XP-game can be a necessary evil, if you need to run Skyrim as administrator I would say you've got a broken Skyrim-setup, since neither SKSE, SKSE64 or either of the default executables needs to be run as administrator for Skyrim to work correctly. Now it is possible your virus-scanner or security-package or something will block at least SKSE64 from working until you white-list SKSE64 (the dll-files) and this can lead you to incorrectly assume Skyrim needs to be run as administrator.

While running as administrator on an old windows-XP-game can be a necessary evil, if you need to run Skyrim as administrator I would say you've got a broken Skyrim-setup, since neither SKSE, SKSE64 or either of the default executables needs to be run as administrator for Skyrim to work correctly. Now it is possible your virus-scanner or security-package or something will block at least SKSE64 from working until you white-list SKSE64 (the dll-files) and this can lead you to incorrectly assume Skyrim needs to be run as administrator.

None of the Script Extenders for any of the Bethesda games launch for me on my PCs without being set to 'Run As Administrator' trying to launch them without this tag, just results in the normal game launcher opening, which is weird because non of the stand game executables are set to be run as administrator, they require no elevations. Steam is running already for the games that need it, so that's not the issue, unless the fact that Steam is set to run as Administrator causes the Script Extender not to lauch applications associated with it because it doesn't have the elevation rights if not set to run as Admin. The entire drive that my games are installed on it completely whitelisted in my AV-Software, so it never scans, checks or blocks anything on that drive, so its not the AV Causing the issue.. It's an issue I've had ever since switching to Windows 10. However following Grestorn's advice above and removing the Game Launcher.exe for each game and making a copy of the Script Extender Loader.exe and then renaming that to the Game Launcher.exe has allowed me to launch the games for the first time ever on Windows 10 without the need to set them as 'Run as Admin' now this also allows Vortex to launch the games via Script Extender for the first time for me.

I've already explained to you why this is happening. Please read it and BELIEVE ME. Thanks.

I did and making the change to remove the default Game Launchers and replace them instead with the Script Extender Loader has fixed the issue and I no longer need to run any of the extenders as Admin. Works perfectly and I'll remember in future to do this when I uninstall/reinstall games or use other PCs.

• 3 months later...

any one notice that plugins vanish when installing other mods? I tried it with alternate start and a texture and mesh mods to check this and alts plugin vanishes after installing the textures. but I know it work because I reinstalled it and it worked fine. so, the manager might be doing away with some plugins without you knowing unless there's a very low active mod number we don't know of.