SKSE not launching from Vortex help !

sopmac45

I'm having a very similar problem to this. Skyrim will just not launch for me at all. If I try to use skse through vortex, skyrim will say "Running" in steam for about 5 seconds, and then nothing. If I try launching skse through steam, I get the game launcher, but when I click play, the same happens. On the other hand, with vortex uninstalled and NMM being used, with the exact same mods, the game works just fine. It's really confusing.

Edited by porakiya

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a very similar problem to this. Skyrim will just not launch for me at all. If I try to use skse through vortex, skyrim will say "Running" in steam for about 5 seconds, and then nothing. If I try launching skse through steam, I get the game launcher, but when I click play, the same happens. On the other hand, with vortex uninstalled and NMM being used, with the exact same mods, the game works just fine. It's really confusing.

Did you set up SKSE according to the instructions in the Vortex Knowledge Base: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Tool_Setup:_Script_Extenders? Were both Vortex and NMM installed when you tried to start your game?

Did you set up SKSE according to the instructions in the Vortex Knowledge Base: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Tool_Setup:_Script_Extenders? Were both Vortex and NMM installed when you tried to start your game?

admittedly, yes, both were installed. I uninstalled NMM and am now reading the wiki. One part that is confusing me in the wiki is the "create a folder on top level" part. I researched that part separately, so i got that done...I think. I have my skyrim stuff on drive D so I would need to make the "data" folder on drive D, right? However, it doesn't say anything about updating the file directory or anything after moving the scripts, two dll's, and exe to folder "data", and completely following through the directions results in vortex telling me that the mod couldn't be found.

Edited by porakiya

admittedly, yes, both were installed. I uninstalled NMM and am now reading the wiki. One part that is confusing me in the wiki is the "create a folder on top level" part. I researched that part separately, so i got that done...I think. I have my skyrim stuff on drive D so I would need to make the "data" folder on drive D, right? However, it doesn't say anything about updating the file directory or anything after moving the scripts, two dll's, and exe to folder "data", and completely following through the directions results in vortex telling me that the mod couldn't be found.

When I read your post, I went back to the Knowledge Base article and looked at it more closely. The installation process described there will work if you understand what's being said. However, if you don't know what "on the top level" means, then that may spell real trouble for your installation of the script extender. "On the top level" is a rather technical expression that I think needs to be more fully explained, especially since most people new to Vortex have probably never encountered it before and haven't the foggiest idea what it means.

In regard to your specific problem, disregard the article, because it apparently has caused you more confusion than clarity. Instead, do this:

1. Unzip the SKSE archive somewhere outside of the Skyrim game folder.

2. Manually place the two .dll's and the .exe into the Skyrim game folder where you find TESV.exe and SkyrimLauncher.exe.

3. In the unzipped SKSE archive there is a Data folder. Take the Data folder, which contains the Scripts folder, and zip it up. You've now created a mod. Give the mod a name that clearly identifies it, e.g., SKSE Scripts.

4. Drag and drop the new mod into the Vortex Drop File(s) box at the bottom of the Skyrim mods page.

5. When the mod appears in your mods list, install, enable, and deploy it.

All of your SKSE elements should now be where they belong. The Scripts folder will be located in the Skyrim game data folder, and the two .dll's and the .exe will be located in the Skyrim game folder. You can test this by clicking on "skse_loader.exe" to see if it will launch your game.

Once you've verified the SKSE installation, you can set up SKSE as a tool on the Vortex dashboard. Your "Target" will be "skse_loader.exe" in the Skyrim game folder. Your "Start in" will be the Skyrim game folder. You'll probably want to set the tool to "Primary."

Edited by Augusta Calidia

When I read your post, I went back to the Knowledge Base article and looked at it more closely. The installation process described there will work if you understand what's being said. However, if you don't know what "on the top level" means, then that may spell real trouble for your installation of the script extender. "On the top level" is a rather technical expression that I think needs to be more fully explained, especially since most people new to Vortex have probably never encountered it before and haven't the foggiest idea what it means.

In regard to your specific problem, disregard the article, because it apparently has caused you more confusion than clarity. Instead, do this:

2. Manually place the two .dll's and the .exe into the Skyrim game folder where you find TESV.exe and SkyrimLauncher.exe.

3. In the unzipped SKSE archive there is a Data folder. Take the Data folder, which contains the Scripts folder, and zip it up. You've now created a mod. Give the mod a name that clearly identifies it, e.g., SKSE Scripts.

4. Drag and drop the new mod into the Vortex Drop File(s) box at the bottom of the Skyrim mods page.

All of your SKSE elements should now be where they belong. The Scripts folder will be located in the Skyrim game data folder, and the two .dll's and the .exe will be located in the Skyrim game folder. You can test this by clicking on "skse_loader.exe" to see if it will launch your game.

Once you've verified the SKSE installation, you can set up SKSE as a tool on the Vortex dashboard. Your "Target" will be "skse_loader.exe" in the Skyrim game folder. Your "Start in" will be the Skyrim game folder. You'll probably want to set the tool to "Primary."

that explains a lot more than the article. However, the game still won't run for me. Upon opening file manager for the scripts folder in Vortex, it seems to be in the skyrim mods folder rather in the data folder

that explains a lot more than the article. However, the game still won't run for me. Upon opening file manager for the scripts folder in Vortex, it seems to be in the skyrim mods folder rather in the data folder

Install Instructions included in the SKSE zip file

[ Installation ]
1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Skyrim SE directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\. If you see files named SkyrimSE and SkyrimSELauncher, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for programmers, most users can ignore it.
2. Copy the .pex files in Data\Scripts\ into the Data\Scripts\ folder of your installation. The .pex files are needed by all users of SKSE.

Just for clarification, are your problems with Skyrim or with Skyrim SE? I've assumed all along that you're working with Skyrim because that's the game you mentioned in your original post. I'll proceed on the assumption that we're talking about Skyrim.

When you go to the Skyrim game folder, you should see a folder labelled "Data." When you open that folder, you are now in the Skyrim game data folder. There you should see a folder labelled "Scripts" as well as various other folders, various BSA's, etc. Do you also see another folder labelled "Data?" There should not be a Data folder there, but if so, what is in that folder? If you find a folder labelled "Scripts," then copy the contents of that folder into the higher level Scripts folder. However, if there is no folder labelled "Data" within the Skyrim game data folder, then follow SKSE install instruction #2 in the response posted by HadToRegister.

so, after just reinstalling everything and making sure that all mods are deleted, the game runs fine. So it must be something about the mods I have or their load order that the game doesn't like or something. The strange thing is, they are the exact same mods that I used with NMM and the game worked fine then.

Just for clarification, are your problems with Skyrim or with Skyrim SE? I've assumed all along that you're working with Skyrim because that's the game you mentioned in your original post. I'll proceed on the assumption that we're talking about Skyrim.

When you go to the Skyrim game folder, you should see a folder labelled "Data." When you open that folder, you are now in the Skyrim game data folder. There you should see a folder labelled "Scripts" as well as various other folders, various BSA's, etc. Do you also see another folder labelled "Data?" There should not be a Data folder there, but if so, what is in that folder? If you find a folder labelled "Scripts," then copy the contents of that folder into the higher level Scripts folder. However, if there is no folder labelled "Data" within the Skyrim game data folder, then follow SKSE install instruction #2 in the response posted by HadToRegister.

normal skyrim, I don't have the special edition