iNeed: does this mod break games?

BlueGunk

iNeed. The needs, eat / sleep / drink mod.

I have had repeated abandoned games in SSE due to freezing on saves.

I use many mods, and have lots of experience managing them.

In all my games, Oldrim and SE, I have used iNeed. It's my needs mod of choice and a fine bit of work.

But I have seen posts in Nexus, Reddit and LL that suggest iNeed is the source of the Skyrim SE freeze on hard save that occurs after a random number of hours of play.

I'm curious to know if anyone agrees with this, or has tracked iNeed to be the faulting mod, or can reassure me it works fine.

No disrespect to Isoku the author. As I say it is a choice mod for me.

Thank you.

Well, Skyrim SSE seems to be much more stable with the crashes (I had a few but they were related to missing meshes). However, I have random freezes quite often. I can't really tell if iNeed is the source of the problem, since I have over 400 mods, most of them merged. I guess the most straightforward way to find out is to disable it and play for a few hours, to check if the freezes are still there. I haven't got any corrupt saves however, except once that my power source went down right after autosaving, so I don't think it breaks the game.

Thank you. Removing the mod makes little difference by the time the save freezes occur.

My suspicions centre on not the mod directly, but what the mod does​ the player inventory, food, drinks, buffs and debuffs, etc.

In other words, the effects are more insidious, and by the time I get to save freeze, the damage has been done for some time.

Removing the mod cannot restore the damage it has done.

The "damage" is usually orphaned scripts (which can be removed with a save cleaning tool) and hidden buffs or modified player stats. Many mods have an uninstall feature to remove all traces of the mod before you uninstall it, iNeeds probably has that, but I'm not sure. Still, If you keep having freezes even after uninstalling it, then that mod is not the source of them. I have freezes too (although they don't seem to happen when trying to save, they are random), but I just ignore them. I save quite often, so if the game freezes, I don't lose much progress. Keep in mind that if you have a huge amount of save files, it takes longer to save, so try to delete the older ones. Also, in very rare cases, a script can fail, bloating your save file, making it have a stupidly high size (over 1GB), making it take much longer to save. That happened to me once in Oldrim, with a mod that allowed me to place timed bombs inside inventories.

Thank you! Yes I use a save cleaner. This is not a case of orphan scripts, but the hidden buffs and stats are a genuine worry.

I believe I have now identified the main cause of save freezes in my game, but it's the long-term stability of iNeed I wish to know about, so I can use it with confidence.

Are there folks who have used iNeed in a stable, working game? Or is it a mod that is present in all game failures?

In other words are the changes it makes OK with long term inventory / save stability.

Hi,

My understanding is that the dangerous diseases part of iNeed can causes issues with saves. If that is something you have active then that could be the cause of your issues.

In regards to uninstalling a mod the general consensus is that there is no such thing as a clean save.

Hi,

My understanding is that the dangerous diseases part of iNeed can causes issues with saves. If that is something you have active then that could be the cause of your issues.

In regards to uninstalling a mod the general consensus is that there is no such thing as a clean save.

Thank you!

I had not heard that. I'll disable that section for now; easily done in the MCM and I won't miss it.

I certainly agree removing a mod mid-game is a tragic act of desperation. But when the game is broken, then we're into trying to find the culprit.

As for my save freezes I think I found two culprits: I accidentally left 3 32bit DLLs in my SE game structure (not always easy to spot using M02).

That's not tragic, it's just plain stupid. :pinch: SkyrimSE.exe was not impressed trying to call 32bit DLLs for a game save.

Also PC Headtracking causes save freezes due to a SKSE64 issue which is being addressed.

Thanks for your input!