I'm tired and just wanna play? Anything I haven't tried? HELP!

RehabJip

Try to keep this short as I know this is a major known issue with FO3 running on Win 10. I have Steam GOTY Edition. It ran Vanilla with compatibility tweaks (ran compatible with XP SP3). Also, installed FOSE with compatibility, upped the .exe to 4 GB and set affinity for game at 2 cores. It ran even better seemed more stable. I also Installed Unofficial Patch. Okay now for MODS.; Fellout-Full, Enhanced Blood, Flora Overhaul, Colt M4 Carbines, GNR Enhanced, AKS74U, MMMFO, Sprint Mod, DC Interiors, Real World Drinks, Hi Res Weapons and the NMC Large Texture Pack. I had more loaded but it would crash shortly after execution (if it would even execute) so I scaled down my MOD selection.

To my shock and surprise the game executed and loaded. 30 hours I had spent trying and troubleshooting. I was able to start a New Game. Played for several hours with only one crash. I got to Megaton (crashed again as I exited the vault but loaded save and worked swell thereafter for a while). I was so stoked, I had never seen FO3 like this I played it 10 years ago on console and never dreamed how good it could look now that I have a gaming CPU. I have an Alienware 15, getting a little long in the tooth in 2018 but it was smoking FO3. I did my thing at Megaton and played around with some console commands still chugging along. Then...

I leave Megaton heading north and every time I get just beyond Sunnyvale, where you can see the large overpass it goes kaput. Only thing I can think is maybe Fellout or the NMC pack is adding in to much detail and I am running the game on ultra high settings. I played around with it a bit still no luck. I really don't want to lose Fellout mod it looks so amazing.

IDK, if any of you friends read this and know something I haven't tried (and yes I have rifled through the forums and threads or as much as I could and still no dice) save me from having to play FO3 on ...gulp... PSNow :(. Oh the graphics are shhait and interface even worse. If you have read this far thanks much obliged.

Sincerely, Hopeless Gamer in The OC (RehabJip)

Please see the article "How to ask for help" here: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/How_to_ask_for_help and provide the necessary information. Without your system specifications, load order and install path to the game, we could only guess as to what is causing the problem.

If you have the game installed in the default location of "Program Files", it is very possible that no changes were made to the game .exe or .ini.

I did make some progress by uninstalling NMCs Texture Pack. I don't know if ti was conflicting with Fellout or if I just had or have to many mods loaded. I got got out of Sunnyvale and game was playing great, no lag, AI was functioning and then just randomly crashed for no apparent reason. Any advice to make game more stable would be helpful. Primary issues are about a third of the time game will fail on launch or shortly after launch and will need to be relaunched. When game launches stable it crashes intermittently now (after removing NMC) with no real reason I can figure or any warning signs. Below are the details for my machine and software. Shes getting a bit antiquated (even back in 2015 when FO4 launched could not run on anything but low low settings on this thing) but should be more than enough for FO3.

Alienware 15 R2 Laptop W/ Windows 10 Home (updated to current)

Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz

8GB HDDR4

GeForce GTX 965M

1920X1080

Hard Drive HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1 Tb/ 400 Gb used

Game Version:

Fallout 3 GOTY Steam Edition (Fully Updated)

extension- User/RehabJip/steamgames/steamapps/common/Fallout 3 goty

I am using FOSE and 4gb Patch. I use NMM primaraly but also use FOMM when required. I have LOOT and FO3Edit. I am not hiding extensions.

Oh and load order is:

0 0 Fallout3.esm
1 1 Anchorage.esm
2 2 ThePitt.esm
3 3 StreetLights.esm
4 4 BrokenSteel.esm
5 5 PointLookout.esm
6 6 Zeta.esm
7 7 Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
8 8 DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
9 9 Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
Project Beauty.esm
10 a dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
11 b Flora Overhaul.esp
12 c ColtM4Carbines.esp
13 d GNR Enhanced.esp
14 e Millenia_AKS74U.esp
15 f Mart's Mutant Mod - DC Interiors.esp
16 10 Sprint Mod.esp
17 11 Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
18 12 Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
19 13 Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
20 14 Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
21 15 Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
22 16 Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
23 17 Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp
24 18 Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp
25 19 Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp
26 1a Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp
27 1b FO3 Real World Drinks.esp
Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp
Project Beauty- Point Lookout.esp
28 1c Fellout-Full.esp

Mods with multiple plugins must be arranged in the same order as the game DLCs, with the main .esp first. You need to re-arrange Mart's Mutant Mod and remove unused plugins.

Do not rely on LOOT to sort your mods. It does not now nor has it ever sorted FO3 mods correctly.

Edited by M48A5

Thanks, I gave up and just played FO4 today. I'll tinker with it tomorrow with your suggestions in mind and see if I cant get it stabilized. Much obliged... off topic but glad I decided to dust off this machine and give PC gaming a go again. I've been a console guy primarily only dabbling in PC gaming. I bought this laptop because I got a good deal on it at the time but retired it about a year ago in favor of a mac (I was mostly using it for internet, word processing and light gaming stuff a mac might do better). When the launcher told me I could only run FO4 on low settings thought it would be a bummer but gave it a shot and WOW!!!! Even on this 3 year old machine with a lesser hardware capability than my PS4 Pro and the graphics, texture, just everything is like unbelievable. Twice as good as any console. I may be a PC gamer for life. I would rather shell out $1000 bucks for a half decent machine to game on than buy another console. So much more freedom and customization possibilities. Anyone want to buy a PS4 Pro?? I'm a keyboard jockey now man. Its crazy they build these consoles with all this tricked out hardware and its now abundantly apparent you don't get what you pay for because for what ever reason they are not or cant utilize the full potential of the Processor, GPU, none of it. Anyways, I just had to share that and my wife hate when I tell her about gaming. Thanks so much again.