Adoption Bug with Mods

DreamWick

RESOLVED! See last post by me!

I have a few different mods that affect kids:

Today, I finally got around to adopting my kids for my main account. I started with Sissel, who was hanging out in Honorhall, and her adoption went perfectly. TKAA Episode 4 recommends adopting a kid and then greeting them at home before you get any more, so I did. Everything worked well, she had all of the dialogue, perfect child. The others didn't go so well.

Much earlier in the playthrough, I'd sent the vanilla street orphans to Dragon's Keep. Now, I sent them all away from Dragon's Keep and back home, which is supposed to make them adoptable again. I went to go try to adopt Lucia, and got no adoption dialogue for her, no matter what I clicked. Okay. I went to Sofie instead, and she let me adopt her and made her way to our home. Except, once she arrived, she didn't do her greeting dialogue. Instead she followed me around incessantly repeating something like "I can't believe I have a home now, a family." If I activated her, I didn't get any of her options, just that same phrase. I reloaded the save file and tried with Aventus Aretino instead, since I have a mod that lets me adopt him. He'd also just spent many moons in Dragons Keep. He did the same thing that Sofie did, following me around and repeating the same dialogue. I deactivated Improved Adoptions just in case that was causing the issues, and the same thing happened.

Any ideas on what could be happening? I'd really love to be able to adopt all six of my planned kiddos, not just Sissel. Is this a Dragons Keep thing? I'd have posted this on TKAA's mod page since that's the most recently updated mod on my list, but there isn't an area for posts. Lucia is the only one of the street orphans who won't give me any adoption dialogue at all. I've adopted kids just fine with other characters, but those kids were before I installed Improved Adoptions and none of them had been sent to Dragons Keep before.

Sorry, I know this is really complicated. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Edited by ktrogers

You say you have a mod for Aventus Aretino. I've used all the mods you list with good results but never used the Aretino mod, whatever that is, so I wonder about that.

I have no idea why but for adoptions to work right for me I have to buy Breezehome first & send Lucia there. She's known to be a little bugged. I can then send her to any other home. After that I can send other kids to any home I use the Bless Home spell on. If I don't do it that way I usually have problems.

Was surprised to see the new version of TKAA. I guess Triptherift decided to give us one last present!

Edit: Just checked out the new TKAA Ep. 4 and the description page says; Hearthfire Multiple Adoption needs a patch. Look in the optional files section. but there's no patch for multiple adoptions in optional files...May be your problem.

Edit 3/20/18: I see the patch was added.

Thank you both for your help! I'll keep an eye out for the patch, just in case one appears. In the meantime, I'll probably switch back to episode 3, though it would be great if I could somehow carry over those cute new clothes and armors from episode 4.

I don't really have much time to mess with things today, but I'll update this with results later. Thanks again!

Edit: Adopt Aventus Aretino mod

Update: Looking back at the author's logs for the TKAA mod, it looks like the Multiple Adoptions patch was added. It's just not in the list of files. I've messaged both triptherift and the staff member who hosts The Care Taker, so we'll see if anything happens with that. I'll update if things change.

Update: The author added the patch, but unfortunately it's still not working right. The patch admitted in its description that it might not work. I ended up just going back to Episode 3 without the patch, and that works just fine. Someone else has posted about this to the Multiple Adoptions page, so we'll see if the author for that makes a patch.

RESOLUTION: It's been ages since I posted this, but for anyone that is still wondering, the bug where your kids stalk you is apparently a normal bug for Hearthfire. Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions has this solution in its FAQ, which I used on each kid immediately after their greeting dialogue:

Q: Help!?!? My child is stalking me!

A: You've run into a Hearthfire bug involving custom and/or mod added dogs/pets. Easy to fix:
- Open the console
- Click the kid
- Enter the following 3 commands:
setav variable06 0
setav variable07 0
evp

Additionally, don't speak to Lucia at all before adopting her, and be sure to greet each kiddo at home before you go adopt the next one. Good luck!

Edited by ktrogers

• 1 year later...

Hi all. I know this is really late for some of you but I just saw this because I just installed the multiple adoption mod and had the same problem. It was always with the second or third child. Either they wouldn't show up at the home I'd blessed (and I tried quite a few multiple adoption friendly homes) or the third child would follow me around incessantly saying the same thing over again. So this is how I finally fixed it. It's annoying because I'm impatient, but it worked for me and I hope it will help others out there looking for a solution:

I started a new game (yes, I was less than thrilled) and played through the game until I had been acknowledged as dragon born. I then bought Breezehome first, with a room for children and THEN a multiple adoption friendly home (Harbour House to be exact - it is amazing!) and began adopting children...one at a time. I made sure to go back to the house each time to greet them before adopting another and with bated breath jumped for sheer joy when the third child greeted me as she was supposed to. I now have five fully adopted children with expected dialog and interactions and am seeking out my sixth.

Now I can't tell you for sure if it was because I'd been acknowledged as dragon born, or if I bought breezehome first, or what the difference was. I only know that I had tried at least half a dozen times before and kept getting the same glitch and this time, done in this order, it worked. So there you have it. I hope it helps.

• 8 months later...

Hi all. I know this is really late for some of you but I just saw this because I just installed the multiple adoption mod and had the same problem. It was always with the second or third child. Either they wouldn't show up at the home I'd blessed (and I tried quite a few multiple adoption friendly homes) or the third child would follow me around incessantly saying the same thing over again. So this is how I finally fixed it. It's annoying because I'm impatient, but it worked for me and I hope it will help others out there looking for a solution:

I started a new game (yes, I was less than thrilled) and played through the game until I had been acknowledged as dragon born. I then bought Breezehome first, with a room for children and THEN a multiple adoption friendly home (Harbour House to be exact - it is amazing!) and began adopting children...one at a time. I made sure to go back to the house each time to greet them before adopting another and with bated breath jumped for sheer joy when the third child greeted me as she was supposed to. I now have five fully adopted children with expected dialog and interactions and am seeking out my sixth.

Now I can't tell you for sure if it was because I'd been acknowledged as dragon born, or if I bought breezehome first, or what the difference was. I only know that I had tried at least half a dozen times before and kept getting the same glitch and this time, done in this order, it worked. So there you have it. I hope it helps.

omg thank you so much really i've been stalked by my second kid all this time with this problem (and once he started doing it, i couldnt adopt any more children, they would just say "hm?" or "yes?"and never come into my home) i thought it was because of tkaa, since i adopted a khajiit kid from the mod (i play as one) and i also tried to adopt them both at once and didnt check my home before adopting the second and third.. but i'll try your solution thank you again!

• 4 months later...

Hi I know I am super super late and I'm not even sure if you still play Skyrim. But when you say after you're acknowledged as dragonborn do you mean after defeating the first dragon or being recognized by the grey beards formally as dragonborn? Also, do I have to do it right after being recognized or can I wait to purchase breezehome and the custom home and adopt when I want? Also more of asking Jambet here, screwed up the quote thing though haha

Thank you both for your help! I'll keep an eye out for the patch, just in case one appears. In the meantime, I'll probably switch back to episode 3, though it would be great if I could somehow carry over those cute new clothes and armors from episode 4.

I don't really have much time to mess with things today, but I'll update this with results later. Thanks again!

Update: Looking back at the author's logs for the TKAA mod, it looks like the Multiple Adoptions patch was added. It's just not in the list of files. I've messaged both triptherift and the staff member who hosts The Care Taker, so we'll see if anything happens with that. I'll update if things change.

Update: The author added the patch, but unfortunately it's still not working right. The patch admitted in its description that it might not work. I ended up just going back to Episode 3 without the patch, and that works just fine. Someone else has posted about this to the Multiple Adoptions page, so we'll see if the author for that makes a patch.

RESOLUTION: It's been ages since I posted this, but for anyone that is still wondering, the bug where your kids stalk you is apparently a normal bug for Hearthfire. Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions has this solution in its FAQ, which I used on each kid immediately after their greeting dialogue:

A: You've run into a Hearthfire bug involving custom and/or mod added dogs/pets. Easy to fix:
- Open the console
- Click the kid
setav variable06 0
setav variable07 0
evp

Additionally, don't speak to Lucia at all before adopting her, and be sure to greet each kiddo at home before you go adopt the next one. Good luck!

Edited by TetsuyaAoyama

• 2 months later...

Hi I know I am super super late and I'm not even sure if you still play Skyrim. But when you say after you're acknowledged as dragonborn do you mean after defeating the first dragon or being recognized by the grey beards formally as dragonborn? Also, do I have to do it right after being recognized or can I wait to purchase breezehome and the custom home and adopt when I want? Also more of asking Jambet here, screwed up the quote thing though haha

- Open the console

- Click the kid

setav variable06 0

setav variable07 0

evp

thank you for this! it was driving me crazy.

• 6 months later...

Had the Lucia bug where after I adopt her she stands around the tree in Whiterun and says: "I can't wait," but doesn't go to Breezehome. So I traveled to Windhelm and adopted Sofie, then fast-traveled back to Whiterun and both kids were inside Breezehome behaving properly. Haven't played beyond that point so I don't know if this cleared up everything, but it's a start.

• 3 months later...

i dont know if anyone can help me but im having issues with adopting in general...i have two adoption mods..a stand alone one called maxine..shes a zombie child and adopt avernis arineo or how ever you spell that kids name...and i have been trying to adopt maxine...and the last dialogue option i get is "actually maybe this isnt the best time"...i have 3 homes...3 all with children beds and room and everything you need...what is going on...why is it not working