Python 2.7 being deprecated in 2020?

ermodk

python is only used as part of the build system, the dependency on 2.7 is caused by a tool we use, it's not something we decided ourselves and it doesn't matter too much.

However, the way things are in the python world I doubt 2.7 will actually be deprecated in 2020. Either that date will be pushed back again or there will be a fork that ends up being more popular than the official python.

Why does it matter? It's just used for the build and the build does fail with 3. You can have both versions of Python installed and just shift 2 on to the PATH when building Vortex.

Unless someone wants to fix it and submit it ;), I imagine there's more useful things for Tannin to work on.

Why does it matter? It's just used for the build and the build does fail with 3. You can have both versions of Python installed and just shift 2 on to the PATH when building Vortex.

Unless someone wants to fix it and submit it ;), I imagine there's more useful things for Tannin to work on.

Agreed on that last part but you answered your own question. Unsupported software (including Python 2.7 after 2020) isn't and won't be an option for many people, and 'I'm sure someone will come up with something by then' isn't any help for planning. I'm unaware of any active branches or forks for Python 2.7 and 2020 isn't far away.

The tool in question is gyp, people have been asking for python 3 support for it since 2009 https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gyp/issues/detail?id=36 without much success.

Afaik there is work being done to remove the python dependency entirely but who knows when it will happen.

Again: This is not in my project, it's not something I can fix. gyp is being used as the default build system for almost all native modules in the node.js environment.

And for chromium and who knows how many other projects.

That's why I can't really avoid it but it's also why I'm not really worried that python will become obsolete without an alternative. I'd sooner believe that google ends

up forking python 2.7.

• 2 weeks later...

The tool in question is gyp, people have been asking for python 3 support for it since 2009 https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gyp/issues/detail?id=36 without much success.

Afaik there is work being done to remove the python dependency entirely but who knows when it will happen.

Again: This is not in my project, it's not something I can fix. gyp is being used as the default build system for almost all native modules in the node.js environment.

And for chromium and who knows how many other projects.

That's why I can't really avoid it but it's also why I'm not really worried that python will become obsolete without an alternative. I'd sooner believe that google ends

up forking python 2.7.

I had a look around github before I asked. Thanks for the background info. :)