Deactivating / Uninstalling all mods question ... !

sopmac45

• 3 months later...

So what if you want to do a complete clean install, including removing all your mods, but f*#@ing Vortex wont let you deploy or delete any of the mods. Like its doing to me. I just want to have a fresh Skyrim with no mods so I can rebuild it all myself.

• 1 month later...

If you want to save the state of all your mods for your clean install - don't do any of the above. Just click Purge on the mods pane.

After Purge, there will be no trace of any mods in your game directory.

Now reinstall or whatever you want to do.

Then fire up Vortex and click Deploy on the mods pane.

Voila! All your mods are installed and enabled again like they were before Purge.

I assume it's ok to not start a new thread as I'm quoting an old post and it's relevant to the OP.

Anyway (Skyrim VR), I have basically installed all my mods already, but with hindsight wish I had made a clean save just before character choice. If I do as above will it really put everything back as it was? Including all the choices I made about conflict overrides? Can't bear to go through all that again. Can I use someone else's save from that point without issue? Any idea where I might find one?

Can I ignore a clean save (without mods) and just start the game and make a relatively clean save (not really a clean save but one I can go back to, to start with new characters - I'm guessing it will also be relatively easy to uninstall anything I later decide I don't want at this point of the game as I wont have encountered anyone or anything substantial) with all my mods installed just before character creation or will some mods and some MCMs not have triggered at that point?

Thanks in advance.

ps. and will purge leave any manual installations I made untouched?

Edited by Byg

If you want to save the state of all your mods for your clean install - don't do any of the above. Just click Purge on the mods pane.

After Purge, there will be no trace of any mods in your game directory.

Now reinstall or whatever you want to do.

Then fire up Vortex and click Deploy on the mods pane.

Voila! All your mods are installed and enabled again like they were before Purge.

I assume it's ok to not start a new thread as I'm quoting an old post and it's relevant to the OP.

Anyway (Skyrim VR), I have basically installed all my mods already, but with hindsight wish I had made a clean save just before character choice. If I do as above will it really put everything back as it was? Including all the choices I made about conflict overrides? Can't bear to go through all that again. Can I use someone else's save from that point without issue? Any idea where I might find one?

Can I ignore a clean save (without mods) and just start the game and make a relatively clean save with all my mods installed just before character creation or will some mods and some MCMs not have triggered at that point?

Thanks in advance.

Purge does not reset anything inside Vortex.

Purge will remove all files/folders installed and managed by Vortex in your data folder. Deploying again will restore the mod files exactly as they were before the purge.

• 3 months later...

If you re-Enable mod + Deploy, the mod will be used, unless:

1: Another mod is overwriting the mod.

2: The mod includes one or more plugins but you've disabled the plugins.

3: The mod depends on another mod, but you don't have this other mod active.

Example for 3 can be, you've installed a texture-replacer for some mod-added armour, but you've not installed the mod-added armour and for this reason you won't see anything to the texture-replacer in-game.

Another reason for mod not showing up in-game can be, some mods only works if you start a new game but you've only tested by continuing an old save-game.