a touchy food topic

TheCalliton

Alright guys. It's time to discuss the ultimatum of human existence. The ideology that has caused countless gauntlets to be thrown, the philosophy that has burned empires to ashes, an act seen as either inhuman or angelic.

Before we get too indepth, a brief history on the topic should be elucidated.

In ancient rome there was a food called "Focaccia". This is/was essentially seasoned pizza crust.

Several hundred years later something amazing was created upon this basis.

PIZZA

In the late 1800's this dish came to be, and with it the world changed.

People put many things on pizza ranging from dead things to dead plants.

There is one topping that has caused the aforemention destruction and sorrow.

Pineapple. A Greek-Canadian man named Sam Panopoulus is credited with having created what many call the greatest and the worst pizza ever.

Hawaiian.

I know this is a difficult topic, but please remain cordial.

I've only had pineapple pizza once or twice , and it was actually rather tasty

though it was fast food pizza , not anything from a decent pizzeria , so I don't know how it will taste on a 'real' pizza

but I'm willing to try it , if given the chance

I really can't think of why people consider this as "destroying" the pizza , while there are so many weird toppings

and the mix of salty and sweet is rather common now days , and generally accepted

I don't like my fruit and meat to mix. Not even incidental touching on a plate. It is my dream that when I am ancient and my children leave me in an extended care nursing facility, and then don't visit me, that I will at last again be able to have a sectioned plate from which to eat that will keep my food separated and provide me solace.

As for pizza....well I like mine with thin, crispy crust, cheese, onion, green olives and banana peppers (which I actually remove most of them prior to eating, i like the taste mixed in but not too many of the actual peppers.) I will eat pepperoni if I have to do so but i usually pull most of that off also.

A side of beer battered onion rings is also loved by me and the family.

Although I am on the verge of being an obligate carnivore, strangely when it comes to pizzas I make a glaring exception. I have a wide variety of vegetables: olives, mushrooms, onions, peppers. All nice and subtly distinct. Meat toppings on pizza, most noticably pepperoni, taste of nothing but oil, salt, fat and grease. It doesn't feel like actual meat, but is instead the taste equivalent of a brick in the face.

As to pineapple, I don't touch it. I have seen worse though, I saw a photo of someone putting mayonaise and mushy peas on pizza. I call upon both lovers and haters of pineapple on pizza to band together and fight this evil.

Meat toppings on pizza, most noticably pepperoni, taste of nothing but oil, salt, fat and grease. It doesn't feel like actual meat, but is instead the taste equivalent of a brick in the face.

Agreed as far as the world's major perpetrators of bad pizza (Domino's, Round Table, Papa John's etc), but imo it's ridiculous to judge and avoid all meat toppings on all pizzas because of it. Homemade gives you complete control over ingredient quality, e.g. find and use pepperoni that's as spicy as you like etc. One of our local pizza joints uses pepperoni so hot it makes our eyes water. It's the same restaurant that includes it in combo with bacon/spinach/gorgonzola/red onion, it quickly became and remains not only my all-time favorite but half my family's as well. Ingredient quality makes all the difference.

For homemade I'll also throw in a plug for so-called pizza dough flavoring, which are blends of parmesan (better ones use a combo of parmesan and romano) cheese and garlic/onion/etc. It's sold in jars and added to the uncooked dough. It gives pizza crust a wonderful depth of flavor and in our experience results increase with proportion (try using 2x the amount specified on the jar and you'll never go back to 1x again). :)

Edited by TheMastersSon

You know how to tell how Pineapple is going bad? It smells like beer.

I wonder if that is why so many USA beer drinkers like Hawaiian Pizza that sat open lidded on the coffee table all night after the football party.

Monty Pythons group said, "American beer is like having sex in a canoe".

If I were to drink beer that taste like water I would buy Coors. We need to get some Englishers from the Pubs and Taverns to send us the good stuff so we can rally around the Horn again lads ;and lasses.

You know how to tell how Pineapple is going bad? It smells like beer.

I wonder if that is why so many USA beer drinkers like Hawaiian Pizza that sat open lidded on the coffee table all night after the football party.

Monty Pythons group said, "American beer is like having sex in a canoe".

If I were to drink beer that taste like water I would buy Coors. We need to get some Englishers from the Pubs and Taverns to send us the good stuff so we can rally around the Horn again lads ;and lasses.

Remember 3.2 beer? :D