• Lanterns of Skyrim SE
  • Lanterns of Skyrim Light Balance Patch
  • NAT - Natural and athmospheric Tamriel
  • Enhanced lights and FX
  • (Blended Roads)
  • Re-Engage ENB

Things i've tried so far:

• Deactivating all lighting mods, starting a new game

It didn't change a thing, although removing ELFX and Lanterns reduced its occurence frequency.

It does also happen in Areas without many lights.

I thought at first that there are too many lights hitting engine limits, but removing them did not solve my problem

Did anyone have something similar and found the issue ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems you just discovered an engine limitation of Skyrim and Skyrim SE. "For performance reasons", the game refuses to render more than 4 shadow casting lights (NOT any lights, just shadow casting ones!) at the same time. If there are more than 4 shadow casting light sources at a time, the game simply doesn't render all of them. Sometimes it chooses to render that light source somewhere in the background, but disable the shadows from the camp fire right in front of you... With a combination of "Lanterns of Skyrim" and some other lighting mods, you can easily reach that limit of 4 shadow casting light sources - especially if you add a shadow casting torch on top of it all.... Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it. The limit of 4 seems to be pretty much hardcoded, although there were some (AFAIK not too succesful) attempts to overcome it with mods.

To make things like these happen less often, try different combinations of lighting mods. If using "lanterns of Skyrim", I wouldn't use any other exterior lighting mod (e.g. no ELFX EXteriors). You can still mod your interiors, but be careful with open world spaces.