Feedback _ Suggestions

Pyro2677

I'm going to start with i think this is a very good alpha program and i have tried a lot worse, well done. Not sure if these things you are thinking about or even want to add/change but thought i would give my thoughts from someone that is average at modding and can usually figure things out on my own.

I have used NMM and MO2 and I think if you combine the best of both then this would be the must have.

1. The UI is nice and as i did see in another thread I agree that the Premium banners are a bit much and the top header could be made smaller. I think there is a bit too much wasted room at the top. I understand you want to promote the premium membership and i have been one in the past but maybe just a thinner banner along the top would suffice.

2. The conflicts are a little tedious probably a strong word but for example lets use SMIM, I install SMIM first then I install aother mods and in my load order there are 14 other mods that are conflicting. So when i install Skyrim 3d trees it asks if this should load after or before SMIM. I choose after and move on, however you have to go back into SMIM and tell it that it needs to load before Skyrim 3d Trees also. Now to me this is a double step that I don't think should happen. Because as in my case i have 14 files wanting to know where SMIM should be loaded even though I've already told it in the other mods. Also you have to remember in which order you wanted the overwrites to happen or you get another warning telling you that it has created a cycle. Also when updating a mod this process has to be repeated every time the mod is updated.

So hopefully you are able to streamline this process because it becomes a chore, also while on this point can we like it is in MO2 that the lightning bolt turns grey when all the files are overwritten making the mod obsolete? I had a texture pack that overwrote another and i had to go through explorer and count the amount of files in the directory and see if it was the same as what was being overwritten. I have 180 mods installed with 132 .ESP's and would be good to see if some of the texture re-placers are no longer needed

I think streamlining conflict and overwritten mods would make Vortex so much better.

Please tell me if there is no need to choose the overwrites on both mods as i have played the game without issues and come back into Vortex to notice the red bolts telling me i missed the second step on a mod..

3. The sorting is fantastic in the plugins section drag and drop to move the order would be a great feature and i am trying to get used to the global and local numbering. I sorted my load order using the S.T.E.P and got CTD's everywhere so i came back into vortex and removed the global priority on the ones i knew i had changed and Vortex sorted them back to a good spot that I have not had 1 single CTD that was caused due to incorrect load order. Massive props to you all for this.

4. Deploying mods and finding files changed outside of Vortex is quite hit and miss sometimes. I have used Bodyslide, FNIS etc and when i have finished I have pressed deploy mods more then once to only have vortex tell me these files were changed the next time it was loaded.

5. I agree with someone that said Mods and Plugins on the same page would be a nice feature.

6. Touching on the updates again I think this needs a lot of work because it doesn't always remember your previous overwrites. I had to keep and old mod in the order and see which mods it overwrote and which mods it didn't and then remove the old mod so i didn't get issues. Again sorry but 3 steps i think could be removed.

I think this is a step in the right direction and you are doing a wonderful job but anything that gets everyone playing the game more instead of clicking a bunch of unnecessary steps. I hope this was constructive and you don't take offence.

5. I agree with someone that said Mods and Plugins on the same page would be a nice feature.

NMM, has TWO tabs. a Mods tab, and a Plugins Tab. and a COMMON Area at the top for everything else, Nothing else was needed. I still use NMM for Downloading and installing, because the interface is one screen with Two Tabs. Because ALL THE INFO YOU NEED, along with all the appropriate Game Tools you need for that particular Game (FNIS, Xedit, Bodyslide, etc) Is right there, on one screen.

For the Two tabs, you have the Plugins tab to drag and drop load order, and the Mods tab to manage Mods, downloading, installing, uninstalling, renaming, deleting etc.

EVERYTHING ELSE, was handled at the TOP of the interface in a Common Section, including a Tools Section for FNIS, Xedit, Bodyslide etc (Although I preferred the Tool BAR in MO), rather than having the tool on each individual game on the Dashboard.

While NMM has had it's fair share of hate/criticism aimed at it, the interface was simple, and set up almost like an email client, two panes for Mods and Plugins, and the common tool area at the top.

It allowa for quick navigation and expedited workflow.

In other words, the Vortex interface could be trimmed down and lose a lot of extras and extra tabs it has now into less tabs and a more expedited workflow experience.

Looking at NMM is like looking at a car dashboard, and Vortex is like looking at the control panel of a Jumbo jet

1. The UI is nice and as i did see in another thread I agree that the Premium banners are a bit much and the top header could be made smaller. I think there is a bit too much wasted room at the top. I understand you want to promote the premium membership and i have been one in the past but maybe just a thinner banner along the top would suffice.

If the banner at the top was thinner that would just mean there is more empty space, the game-selection button on the top left as well as the window controls and login/avatar button on the top right require space too and especially the window controls

you want a bit of space around them so you don't accidentally click them when you wanted to click, say, the dotdotdot button.

2. So when i install Skyrim 3d trees it asks if this should load after or before SMIM. I choose after and move on, however you have to go back into SMIM and tell it that it needs to load before Skyrim 3d Trees also.

Noooo, you absolutely do not have to, nor should you, do that! One rule is enough, "3d trees after SMIM" already implies that SMIM loads before 3d trees, there is no need

Also when updating a mod this process has to be repeated every time the mod is updated.

No you don't, that's what the "Version Match" box is for when you create a rule. If the mod is versioned (say it's 1.2.3) then the version match will default to "^1.2.3" meaning

that the rule applies to any 1.x.y version, not just the selected one.

As an alternative you could replace it with "*" to use the rule for any version.

3. The sorting is fantastic in the plugins section drag and drop to move the order would be a great feature and i am trying to get used to the global and local numbering. I sorted my load order using the S.T.E.P and got CTD's everywhere so i came back into vortex and removed the global priority on the ones i knew i had changed and Vortex sorted them back to a good spot that I have not had 1 single CTD that was caused due to incorrect load order. Massive props to you all for this.

Yeah, usually you should have to do very little in regards to plugin load order. I know the order may appear "messy" but it should be stable.

Also, global and local priorities are more of a crutch, it shouldn't be your go-to mechanism for ordering the plugins, just use rules for cases where you know there is a conflict

and it's being resolved incorrectly and otherwise accept the chaos.

4. Deploying mods and finding files changed outside of Vortex is quite hit and miss sometimes. I have used Bodyslide, FNIS etc and when i have finished I have pressed deploy mods more then once to only have vortex tell me these files were changed the next time it was loaded.

Not sure what you mean here, obviously running those tools will change files and Vortex picking up on that is a good thing, otherwise your changes would be lost

next time you deploy?

You can do that. Click mods, then ctrl-click on plugins and they open alongside each other.

6. Touching on the updates again I think this needs a lot of work because it doesn't always remember your previous overwrites. I had to keep and old mod in the order and see which mods it overwrote and which mods it didn't and then remove the old mod so i didn't get issues. Again sorry but 3 steps i think could be removed.

Again I think this should be solved if the mod has proper versioning or if you adjust the version match rule.

Tannin, Thanks for the answers and yeah some made sense and some i have a few questions on.

2. So when i install Skyrim 3d trees it asks if this should load after or before SMIM. I choose after and move on, however you have to go back into SMIM and tell it that it needs to load before Skyrim 3d Trees also.

Noooo, you absolutely do not have to, nor should you, do that! One rule is enough, "3d trees after SMIM" already implies that SMIM loads before 3d trees, there is no need

I asked this mainly because when i upgraded vortex to 13.6 when i opened Vortex it was showing red bolts next to the mods that I had previously had No Rule on these because they were supposed to be overwritten by the other mod (Which had load after) so i had to change them to load before, before the red bolt would change to green. Not sure if a bug but yeah that's why i asked because it forced me to do it on both. It seemed to work just fine when i only made the overwrite on one but when the update came through it said a heap of them were set to no Rule.

Also when updating a mod this process has to be repeated every time the mod is updated.

No you don't, that's what the "Version Match" box is for when you create a rule. If the mod is versioned (say it's 1.2.3) then the version match will default to "^1.2.3" meaning
that the rule applies to any 1.x.y version, not just the selected one.
As an alternative you could replace it with "*" to use the rule for any version.

Ok well updating is still confusing me and i guess until Nexus forces mod authors to correctly number their versions this is going to happen. Real Snow HD I had started at 1.2 and everyday there has been an update to 1.7 which is now updated. When i downloaded the 1.7 in the Mods window in the version column it had an orange drop down box with 1.6 & 1.7 with a - next to the version numbers. What is the correct and fastest way to update? What i have done for the last 4 updates and it varied was. 1st time i pressed install from the notification and it installed the newer version however when i clicked the - next to the older version the newer version didn't take the dependencies from the older one and i had to set it up again to load after the other mods. Tonight I didn't install it and just pressed the - next to the old one and removed it and had to install the newer version like it had never been installed before? Either way i have had to set it up like a new mod with the conflicts etc.

The revamped Quiver tonight was 1.0 and updated to 1.01 tonight when downloaded this one noticed the older version and asked if i wanted to replace the older version or install the newer version. I opted for the replace version and when it was deployed again all the conflicts were cleared and had to set them up again.

Immersive Citizens 0.3.9B to new version 0.4 again this was added separately in the mods list and i had a conflict created. However when i clicked uninstall on the 0.3.9B version the conflict went away as expected but then the drop down box on the 0.4 version at the bottom with the 2 versions appeared in the drop down list. When clicking the remove the older version Icon it then disabled the newer mod. Hope this makes sense. If not i will see about doing a screen video capture of what i am doing.

So are you saying that we have to correctly number the version ourselves for every mod?

Where do i change the version match rule? If I change it on the right hand side to anything other than what the mod author has put it will tell me there is and update for it. 99% of my mods have been downloaded from mod manager link on Nexusmods and it auto puts the version number.

Where do i put the * as i tried *1.7, 1.7.*, *, 1.7.* and all of them were orange and only when i changed it to 1.7.0 it was ok and went green.

Not sure what you mean here, obviously running those tools will change files and Vortex picking up on that is a good thing, otherwise your changes would be lost
next time you deploy?

Next time it happens and with what changes I will write it down.

Thanks for the answers.

I asked this mainly because when i upgraded vortex to 13.6 when i opened Vortex it was showing red bolts next to the mods that I had previously had No Rule on these because they were supposed to be overwritten by the other mod (Which had load after) so i had to change them to load before, before the red bolt would change to green. Not sure if a bug but yeah that's why i asked because it forced me to do it on both. It seemed to work just fine when i only made the overwrite on one but when the update came through it said a heap of them were set to no Rule.

That's probably a bug then, you absolutely shouldn't set the inverse rules to rules you already have, it just creates more work and potential for chaos if you ever

change a rule and forget to update the inverse one.

Ok well updating is still confusing me and i guess until Nexus forces mod authors to correctly number their versions this is going to happen.

Again, if you want the rule to stick for all versions of a mod, just set the version match to *. This works no matter the versioning scheme the author uses (at least

starting with 0.13.6 this should work)

Where do i change the version match rule? If I change it on the right hand side to anything other than what the mod author has put it will tell me there is and update for it. 99% of my mods have been downloaded from mod manager link on Nexusmods and it auto puts the version number.

Where do i put the * as i tried *1.7, 1.7.*, *, 1.7.* and all of them were orange and only when i changed it to 1.7.0 it was ok and went green.

No, don't change the version of the mod. The version match is an attribute of the rule and you can be set when you create a rule.

Thanks Mate appreciate the input but i'm really sorry where does one create this "rule" I've right clicked and ctrl+clicked everything and i can't find anywhere to create a rule for the mod updates.

Update: Oh i found it only when i drag the file to another mod the "Version Match" shows up. However i just clicked on the lightning bolt and it pulls up drop down boxes that i can just quickly choose where to load this mod verses the other conflicting ones.

Do you mean i have to remove all the rules and now drag each mod up and down the list just to add this version match rule?

What about the mods that don't conflict? How do i get it to create this rule if I have nothing it needs to load after?

I just want to update a mod and just have it overwrite the old mod and keep all the dependencies intact.

This image below has rules for mods no longer installed is this normal for the rules to stay after a mod is uninstalled? All the 2k mods replaced with the single revamped quiver mod.

http://i63.tinypic.com/awyecz.png

Clicking the lightning bolt next to it shows the old mods gone and only rules for the 2 mods installed.

http://i64.tinypic.com/addbh4.png

This next pic shows there are double up rules for the mods and it ends with the .7z archives. Is this normal?

http://i65.tinypic.com/23jla8m.png

This shows the .7z files are gone is this a bug?

http://i68.tinypic.com/23h8121.png

The next one shows the list, this list is a bit easier to use then having to drag the mods all over the window. Can you somehow do the version rules here?

Also when i update a mod it is leaving the old rules there as well. is this normal?

http://i68.tinypic.com/20qhvt.png

I think the updating process needs some streamlining because as the average user i just want to update and play not fuss around deleting rules and dragging things all over the place all the time.

Edited by Pyro2677