Fusion Generators that drain your Fusion cores

Melinko09

I guess another thing...

Would it just be way way easier to abandon the fusion core and fusion generator thing all together and jump into the idea of creating your own "new" ammo type?

just use the model from the normal fusion core

name it something like "Gen FC"

make GenFC a new ammo type that simply does not have a health field at all, and just has a "number" of i guess bullets?? but they group together as one item in the game (like other ammo does)

then just make it IDENTICAL to how the mod "generators need fuel" mod works?

the only bummer with this idea is then you would not be able to put lets say a fusion core you grabbed out of the commonwealth somewhere into your own to power it... but maybe that's the closest I'm going to get?

exploring this thought:

where would the spawn and how would you recharge them if they dont have health field that once there consumed, there simply just gone? stumped on that one... chime in if you have any idea's...

OK, how about this--->>>>>> completely abandon the fusion generator thing altogether... make a new generator that runs on plasma. this way we avoid the whole recharging issue, health field, etc etc. use a different model/sound, but make a copy of the mod generators needs fuel "large generator", change the ammo type from biomass to plasma ammo (come to think of it we could just use fusion cells but the problem with that is that i think you can craft fusion cells from the ammo plant or some mod has made it so i can... so you could essentially have the fusion cells in the generator used to make more fusion cells??? no no no that is dumb and most likely will create more fusion cells at a rate quicker then it uses them which would circumvent this entire mod idea. so back to plasma). Once you have changed the ammo type, then walla, it's basically done. Now I need to explore how you would come across plasma or if there needs to be a workshop object or new location that has some sort of "converter" that can transform radiation storms or acid rain into plasma ammo or something like that. Also the plasma ammo would have to be much more rare, and increase the value higher so buying them is not cost effective in a way that you could buy plasma convert it to power, run water purifiers to sell, to get more plasma, to make more water and so on and so on and so on to end up with limitless power and water again.

Honestly, the whole plasma thing I think could work and I might be able to at least do the first part myself. (the copying an already made item... changing the texture model and sound to something else, and i might even be able to figure out how to change the required ammo type)

Am I just way overthinking this?

Totally just gave it a serious try. I think my road block is the scripts. My CK will not edit the source of scrips and I cannot find them in the game dir to load them in notepad++. Furthermore, I really dont think I'm going to be able to mod the script (as I see that this is where I need to change the ammo type required).

So I am totally giving up on this when it comes to myself doing the modding. super bummer.

Anyone up for doing a mod that will save my game? (i am dead set on getting some sort of mod that requires generators (of all kinds that produce significant power) to use a fuel of some sort (including fusion generators unless a substitute is implemented)

Thanks in advance!!!!

Perhaps the durability of a fusion core is increased by the fusion generator itself? I mean in the power armor is only the fusioncure powered out nonstop like a air ballon loosing its air, while in the fusion generator.. power is used much more fine tuned, guided back in a circuit or something, perhaps even loading it up again from the power grid inbetween and therefor it last years instead of hours. Imagine 10 liters of fuel in a generator running on lowest speed for power generation 10 hours or in a porsche on 200 mph.. for 10 minutes..

If you put the fusion core for PA and fusion core for settlement powering on one level, then why do we need that huge generator that requires barn or storehouse walls or two stories of vanilla walls instead of just shoving a fusion core into the heavy laser turret? The Power armor doesnt use a huge bulky fusion generator that regulates the power consumtion and there for suckles it out in record time :>

Simply compare a leopard 2 tank and commercial or industrial vehicle of similar strenght of weight. Whose of those two is the more power efficient? For sure not the military one, right? Military vehicles have to be strong and fast not economic. Pretty much the same will count for a power armor. Its desigerns didnt plan to make the fusion core last as long as possible and increased the weight of the Powerarmor with extra stuff to reduce the power consumption.. perhaps even in exchange for armor or ammo or what? lol Think about it.

If you even argue to excuse your need for such a mod.. do it right or let it be. You dont have to excuse yourself for wishing a mod, in the first place ^^

Edited by Simpson3k

Perhaps the durability of a fusion core is increased by the fusion generator itself? I mean in the power armor is only the fusioncure powered out nonstop like a air ballon loosing its air, while in the fusion generator.. power is used much more fine tuned, guided back in a circuit or something, perhaps even loading it up again from the power grid inbetween and therefor it last years instead of hours. Imagine 10 liters of fuel in a generator running on lowest speed for power generation 10 hours or in a porsche on 200 mph.. for 10 minutes..

If you put the fusion core for PA and fusion core for settlement powering on one level, then why do we need that huge generator that requires barn or storehouse walls or two stories of vanilla walls instead of just shoving a fusion core into the heavy laser turret? The Power armor doesnt use a huge bulky fusion generator that regulates the power consumtion and there for suckles it out in record time :>

Simply compare a leopard 2 tank and commercial or industrial vehicle of similar strenght of weight. Whose of those two is the more power efficient? For sure not the military one, right? Military vehicles have to be strong and fast not economic. Pretty much the same will count for a power armor. Its desigerns didnt plan to make the fusion core last as long as possible and increased the weight of the Powerarmor with extra stuff to reduce the power consumption.. perhaps even in exchange for armor or ammo or what? lol Think about it.

If you even argue to excuse your need for such a mod.. do it right or let it be. You dont have to excuse yourself for wishing a mod, in the first place ^^

OK, I am not sure I understand exactly what you mean with all this. Especially the last sentence... I don't give a crap what other thinks about the way I talk or "excuse myself" on a forum that is basically me rambling on about how I in particular think fusion cores should operate in relation to a fusion generator. No need to excuse myself at all. My comment about "am I just overthinking this?" is just soliciting (and inviting) other peoples input... so on that case, thank you for your input on how you feel fusion cores could work. I like your explanation about why/how they would drain much slower in a generator. However, I don't necessarily agree (at least if I understood you correctly), mainly because I feel you can not have both words. let me explain: either the fusion core drains in both or they do not drain at all. Due to fallout 4 making it so PA needs fusion cores, then I think fusion generators need fusion cores as well! again, I feel you just can't have both. In fact fallout lore states that a fusion core can power a suit of armor for 107 years or something like that. This would mean that it makes way more sense to just install a mod that makes it so PA does not ever drain fusion cores (or so slow that you wouldnt be able to notice). However, this does NOT fix the balance problem I seem to have with the game. It's way way way to easy to "win" and "survive" (despite all the mods ive installed to make it an extremely deadly experience) simply because you can create unlimited power. With that power, you can just follow a simple plan to get unlimited resources of any kind. Anywho... back on subject... simply saying because the fusion reactor is huge and is able to efficiently use the power where PA is small and is designed to be effective rather than efficient reminds me of something I might hear from the EPA (sorry for that remark, I work in the diesel repair industry and aftertreatment is a plague among an otherwise great system). What you said about a generator running on the lowest speed versus a porsche I think is arguable in both directions. Simply because--->>> why even have a fusion generator to produce 100 power if you do not need to utilize almost all of that 100??? so it would NOT be running on it's lowest setting. AND furthermore, your comparing apples to oranges with fuel versus power. Like, how can you compare an engine that converts fuel into a mechanical force (porsche) against an engine that converts fuel into electrical engergy (the generator)? NO DOUBT a porsche is going to consume fore fuel then a little honda generator running a 3 amp draw on a 12v circuit in your camp trailer. But alas, I do think that i understand the point you are trying to make, other than the fusion generator in my game would be running at 98 power (because that's what one half of my factory needs when it's up and running). So in comparison to a like machine, it's going to be consuming almost max percentage. But there is NO other generator in the game that potentially runs on fusion cores so there is NOT a like field to compare it in. I think a user would just need to fine tune this setting to his or her liking. Which brings me to the next thing

but first yes OK OK, I can see that a generator that runs on a fusion core plausibly is way way more efficient that a suit of PA. In fact I probably agree, but In NO WAY do I think it is so drastically more efficient that it could run at full capacity for years.

Last comment. Based on your idea/explination of the rate of why fusion cores last so long in a generator vs PA.. your saying that you kinda agree with me?, it's just that in your particular install of this mod you would set the fusion core to last a couple months in the fusion generator unlike my install that would be set for a couple days. (because I don't think you should be able to hand build your OWN fusion reactor generator that is as efficient as one that rolled out of an assembly line back before the bombs dropped) (this also means I think it should have a much more "pieced together" look in game rather than a basic copy of the ones you find out in the world)

Please don't take any of that as rude or anything. I am hoping this forums discussions can bring attention to this mod idea and hammer out the details of what it really "should" be rather than just my one point of view. Again.. Thanks for the input.

Still with making Fusion reactors sucking away your fusion cores, whats with other power generators then, will the fuel driven generators eat away the oil in your workshop and the vaulttec reactors eat away nuclear material? If not your act of balancing the game tears up another gap of unbalance, only shifting it from one side to another. And leave me alone with lore in this please, we all know in the Lore, Jet was invented by a Nerd named Myron in New Rino for the Mordino´s Family..but in Fallout 4 we hear or read that Jet is a prewar invention so.. Lore is just a hollow bubble filled with hot air that bursts and puffs into nothing at the first firm shake.. ^^

I always thought the fusion generators were CHARGING the cores. I mean, if the core provides power on its own, and that power can be managed and distributed with a system the size of a large backpack, whats the point of a giant generator?

Still with making Fusion reactors sucking away your fusion cores, whats with other power generators then, will the fuel driven generators eat away the oil in your workshop and the vaulttec reactors eat away nuclear material? If not your act of balancing the game tears up another gap of unbalance, only shifting it from one side to another. And leave me alone with lore in this please, we all know in the Lore, Jet was invented by a Nerd named Myron in New Rino for the Mordino´s Family..but in Fallout 4 we hear or read that Jet is a prewar invention so.. Lore is just a hollow bubble filled with hot air that bursts and puffs into nothing at the first firm shake.. ^^

I totally agree with you... ALL of the generators in the game need addressed. I looked into the Horizon overhaul and how it affects this... simply put, it removed it in a way... you still need fuel to make things like water so you dont just get an unlimited supply of power.

As far as the normal generators (like small med large) there is a mod already stated in this forum for that. "generators need fuel" address this issue and I absolutely LOVE that mod. I was hoping this forum could help get companion mods to that one that adjust other types of generators to need fuels as well.

I always thought the fusion generators were CHARGING the cores. I mean, if the core provides power on its own, and that power can be managed and distributed with a system the size of a large backpack, whats the point of a giant generator?

I really do NOT want to bring up the 2 major theory's into this forum. Please google the topic of why/how/what is going on with fusion reactors in fallout 4 and if the fusion core charges or drains while in the fusion reactor. These items have already been discussed by THOUSANDS of players. I think it's totally fine if you believe they drain, and i think it's fine if you believe they charge. I just want a mod that allows those of us that believe it drains to implement that into the game. Also, as Simpson3k pointed out, we need to address the vault tech reactors as well.

@Everyone else----->>>> Still NO ONE out there that wants to make this mod????????????? PLEASE!!!!????!!

Still hoping for someone to make a mod for this. It seems after looking into the total conversion mods like Horizon and Frost... This should be a piece of cake to make for an experienced modder. But if I really have to, I would be willing to take another crack at it. It's just that I would certainly need a helping hand or someone to guide me through it. I am also reaching out to modders uploads of similar mods to see if they would implement this into one of there mods.

But again: It would be awesome if someone could whip this up sometime soon.

Thanks!